Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

Party Deck Railing Ideas?

I have a Sandstorm T220 and the dealership said my unit can only get the cables installed for the party deck because the couches/benches go all the way to the ramp door. I'm guess this simply means no room to install the railing. Does anyone have any other ideas for a railing or are there any other commonly known ways to have a railing in my situation? Thanks for any and all help!
My9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

The normal FR supplied rail system attaches to the ramp and when closed the rails protrude about four inches or less into the trailer. You can get all the attaching hardware that bolts on the ramp from Lippert but it's going to be hard to find the rails (the ones with the screen webbing).

There's a new rail system on current units which attaches inside the trailer and rolls and unfolds onto the deck. It needs about six or so inches and not available for sale except with a new unit. But, it's a really nice setup...much better than the older system.

I looked at some pix of your unit and noticed a fire extinguisher between the aft right couch and the door. If it can fit then I'm pretty sure you can install the rails. Maybe a call to Sandstorm would help.
LegacyDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyDrive View Post
The normal FR supplied rail system attaches to the ramp and when closed the rails protrude about four inches or less into the trailer. You can get all the attaching hardware that bolts on the ramp from Lippert but it's going to be hard to find the rails (the ones with the screen webbing).

There's a new rail system on current units which attaches inside the trailer and rolls and unfolds onto the deck. It needs about six or so inches and not available for sale except with a new unit. But, it's a really nice setup...much better than the older system.

I looked at some pix of your unit and noticed a fire extinguisher between the aft right couch and the door. If it can fit then I'm pretty sure you can install the rails. Maybe a call to Sandstorm would help.

Thanks for the info and detailed response. My concern would be that the couches attach directly to the side walls. So with them being attached there, they would be in the way of the railing sliding in and out from the sides, right?

I think you're right that calling manufacturer would be a good idea.

I was hoping that maybe I could install some kind of "track" or maybe come up with some kind of DIY way to use the railings without having them hooked into the trailer itself. I could just lock them (or some other type of gate/railing system) into place as needed.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by My9iron View Post
Thanks for the info and detailed response. My concern would be that the couches attach directly to the side walls. So with them being attached there, they would be in the way of the railing sliding in and out from the sides, right?

I think you're right that calling manufacturer would be a good idea.

I was hoping that maybe I could install some kind of "track" or maybe come up with some kind of DIY way to use the railings without having them hooked into the trailer itself. I could just lock them (or some other type of gate/railing system) into place as needed.
Looking at your trailer I don't think the pre-2017 rails would interfere with anything. They are attached only to the ramp deck. The 2017 and later system attaches stop the vertical frame at the right rear corner. The sidewall is not a factor.

Swing by a dealer and look at both systems. It's possible the dealer could order one on a new order and then remove it to sell to you.
LegacyDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyDrive View Post
Looking at your trailer I don't think the pre-2017 rails would interfere with anything. They are attached only to the ramp deck. The 2017 and later system attaches stop the vertical frame at the right rear corner. The sidewall is not a factor.

Swing by a dealer and look at both systems. It's possible the dealer could order one on a new order and then remove it to sell to you.

Mine is a 2017 so that lends even more to the idea that it could work. Right?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

I bought the plastic Play Safe playard for kids that works perfect. Serves two purposes, if you dont want to drop the door you can use it next to the trailer as well. We use it mostly to contain a wiener doggies.
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote