Old 11-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

sandstorm 285GSLR

Hi, Forum followers,
I've been an Rv'r for 30 yrs now. I have a '05 wildcat 29bhbp. I'm considering trading it in for a Sandstorm 285GSLR. I'm in central cali.
Can anyone chime in on their experience w/ this trailer. How bout price out the door. I've had 2 quotes , 1 @ 45k otd and 1 @ 46k otd. I believe I should be able to get in for at least 40k otd. couch slide and wardrobe slide a must. thanks in advance. and happy rv'ing

Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

I am looking at this model also. Base price before tax and lic is around 40k to 43k looking at different dealers. You posted this in November. Major RV has reasonable prices. Factory is down south, maybe give them a call. Stopped by Camping World yesterday and they stated they would match, so I sent them 2 quotes.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Hello, I just bought the F285gslr. I should get it next week as it was a factory order. I got everything I wanted in it for 46200. That was the best deal I could get in the area of Reno Nv. I traded a 2004 Nash 24n. I didn't get the rear slide because after I looked at one with a slide it only gives you about five feet wide area for your toy from the slide wall to the cabinets. It had plenty of room without the slide for me. I am really looking forward to next week when I get it.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #4

So what are your thoughts on the new model so far?

What are you pulling it with, and handling?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #5

I just got it last weekend so I have just towed it home. The weather has been crappy so haven't even gotten to load my stuff from my old trailer into it yet. So far I have had no problems with anything that couldn't be resolved. They changed the fabric design and I kind of like the old better but that wasn't that big a deal. I did get one chair with the new and one with the old pattern but the dealer fixed that. I love everything about it so far but it is my first toy hauler. When I towed it home it was full of gas and water so I felt it there. It's the biggest thing I have towed to date so it will be a little to get use to. My last one was a 24 foot Nash fifth wheel for a half ton truck so the bedroom wasn't full stand up. I am real excited to take it out. I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab long bed with the hemi 6.4. When I bought the truck I wasn't planning on a bigger trailer wether own a toy hauler. All that just happened didn't want the expense all around of the diesel. So far though I am very happy. It's what I expected except the fabric change. Love the new counter top. Nice to have the generator and solar panel. With my trade in I paid 46200 for it. I got the deck package with the play pen also and the tuff floor the back zipper door for when the back is open and the carpet kit. I bought my own tv and had the roof vent cover put on by the dealer. If you don't order the tv it does not come with the mount. Got one from the dealer for a 100 and they installed it and my tv. Total 300 vice a 1000 if I ordered it. Put a 32 vizio smart tv so if I go somewhere with wifi can connect with the tv for grandkids. I am still learning everything. I will add info as I go.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

Thank you for the reply. Thank you for posting more when you do more with it. The 5th wheel was my priority this year. Weather should be turning soon.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

Yes, I'm not interested in the couch with slide. Looks like plenty of room for me also. The slide in the bedroom is ok with me. Could use the space. The generator and solar is bonus also. This model covers all the needs. My wife wants the desk package. Did you get the brown or black chairs? I'm hoping it is not to tall, 13"2, not wanting low hanging branches issues lol.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

Yesterday I got the outside loaded and dropped the back and tried out the deck mode. I set the play pen up. It sets up real easy and is great. I have seven grandkids and two dogs so thought this would be a great feature. I also played around with the radio some. The fade adjust between the inside and outside speakers. I did see some questions about that in other forums. Although I haven't done it yet it appears the radio hooks to your phone through blue tooth and you can make calls from the trailer. That was pretty interesting and un expected. Be good for when your home cleaning it out and get a call you can keep going.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

I did get the bedroom slide. I didn't know about a desk option. It is pretty tall. I clipped a couple my trees back on the lower branches so that they wouldn't drag down it or hit it. I have been looking at a carport with sides to park it under down the road. I was looking at a twelve foot side one the center would be higher but after getting the trailer I have to go taller on the sides. Over all so far I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. I did get the brown interior. It doesn't have the checkered looking middle on the new ones mine the middle is lighter then the edges but a solid light brown. I got a factory order one.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457892791.123913.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	101818 here is the new color brown that came in mine.