Old 12-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Sandstorm Onan 5500 Generator Problems

Just want to post something here in case someone else has problems with their generator like mine. To make a very, very long 2 1/2 year Cummins Dealer, Sandstorm Dealer, and Forest River story short I fixed a vapor lock issue late this year.

I have a 240SLC and the way the generator was installed it blows very hot exhaust air directly down on to the frame rail in which the gas lines are attached. I had to reroute and shield the intake a return lines near the generator.

I live in Washington and when I was in cooler temperatures the generator would run for hours sometimes never shutting down after a whole day of running. Where I live extreme warm means ~100 degrees out. During these times the hot air coming from the generator would warm the frame rails up over 180 degrees causing a vapor lock to form. When this occurs the fuel pump began to click and the generator would begin surging until it would die. Sometimes it would start again and sometimes I had to let the generator cool until it would start again. Very frustrating when trying to keep a family cool.

Like I said I just wanted to post this here because during troubleshooting I know I would have really appreciated a post on this forum.
Jaydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator