Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

What TV to get? Is stereo also DVD player??

Owner of 2017 Sandstorm. Did not come with tv but wired and ready for one. Have purchased 2 different tvs (returned both), first tv did not have plug ins for cables that are present...white, red and black/yellow (I am not a techy person...at all!) Second tv had white and red plug ins (not yellow), but they were toward the bottom of the tv and there is not enough slack in the lines to reach the plug ins on the back of the tv. Needing a compatible tv with plug ins on the top. Any suggestions?? Also, is the stereo also a DVD player? Does not specifically state on the stereo itself. Thank you in advance!!
kandkbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #2

please post the model number of the stereo unit... and or a picture of the front of the unit

anything that plays a disc these days will typically also play a DVD... you could put one in and if it is not rejected then it should also work.

most modern (stereo) DVD players these days also use an HDMI connector which contains both video and audio... it is rectangular and about 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 th inch high...

red and white are the two audio inputs left and right

yellow is typically a video wire... not sure what the black means

you may have to invest in some extension cables if the leads are not long enough... they should not be real expensive... buying and returning TVs is not fun

take pictures of the unit and the cables and post them... that would help...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #3

Most RVs still use last millennium composite video. I looked at some pics of Sandstorms on rvtrader and such and they show a panel above the TV that has three RCA jacks which are audio left/right and composite video. I'm not quite clear how this relates to the cables being too short ?
In any case many newer TVs don't have a dedicated composite input anymore but use one of component video connections for it. It might require some configuration in the TV setup to switch between composite and component input.
I realize the OP wrote he/she is not a techie person but maybe have some techie friends ... ?
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

One suggestion I will make: My TT had a "Haier" brand TV in it and it was practically useless. I found a 32" Vizio TV on sale at a Target and could not let that one go. One mistake I made is that I did not notice where the speakers were on the Vizio vs. the Haier. The Vizio has the speakers in the back of the TV and the space in the TT is sort fo a box, one of those that can swivel around so you can watch TV in bed. NOT my thing. Now the Vizio has a great picture but the sound is very muffled. You can tell the speakers are coming from a boxed area. I keep looking at various places when shopping for another TV for my TT that has the speakers in the front--hard to find. I find TV's with speakers in the rear or sides but not the front.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

In all likelihood, if your radio accepts discs, it will indicate what it accepts with the letters CD or DVD near the opening/tray.

The fact that it has a yellow cable indicates that it may play DVDs, since that is a video output.

As stated previously, please post a picture or model number.
Derekj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
PAW International

Cables

I would also suggest you do not get a TV where the cable connectors come directly out of the back of your TV. Many TV have ones that come out the bottom so you do not have to worry about clearance between the TV and the wall. There are Spacers and right angle adapters but you can avoid the hassle by selecting the right TV to begin with.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0263.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	172396  
hitechceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

Extension cables-where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
you may have to invest in some extension cables if the leads are not long enough... they should not be real expensive... buying and returning TVs is not fun
Here's a source (and picture) of the extension cables rsdata recommended.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #8

IF you have red/white/yellow wires and jacks coming from your stereo..then you have composite video outputs from your dvd player. The jacks on TV's that accept these are rare these days but LOTS of TV's have COMPONENT video jacks which are a set of 5 jacks as shown below. To use THOSE jacks for your stereo plug in the red and white audio jacks to their matching colors and plug the Yellow plug to the GREEN jack as shown below. You still select VIDEO or AV1 as your selected input to watch on when you play the DVD through the TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compositecomponent.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	172423  
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandkbrett View Post
Owner of 2017 Sandstorm. Did not come with tv but wired and ready for one. Have purchased 2 different tvs (returned both), first tv did not have plug ins for cables that are present...white, red and black/yellow (I am not a techy person...at all!) Second tv had white and red plug ins (not yellow), but they were toward the bottom of the tv and there is not enough slack in the lines to reach the plug ins on the back of the tv. Needing a compatible tv with plug ins on the top. Any suggestions?? Also, is the stereo also a DVD player? Does not specifically state on the stereo itself. Thank you in advance!!
I hung a 26" Samsung that came from Costco for about $150. Does not have RCA output but has RBG COLOR input and in the alternative. Red white and Yellow input for "the normal" DVD input.

Best part was it has external power brick like a laptop at 14.7 vdc but worked fine just running it on a 12vdc cig lighter that is also in my tv hookup area. Had to get 12 v plug in and find a compatible plug for tv as I did not want to cut up the factory power line, in case I ever want to put it back on 120vac.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #10

I don't think a lot of people realize the two audio cables are to carry sound FROM the TV to the stereo so the sound plays through the RV speakers when watching something other than a DVD playing in the built in player (such as OTA television or Blu Ray player). When playing a DVD on the built in player the sound is already there, it doesn't need to be transported to the stereo player. This means the audio cables should be connected to the AUDIO OUT jacks on the television and AUDIO IN jacks on the stereo. The cables on the RVs that I have owned came from the factory preconnected that way. If your unit isn't performing as expected check the cables on the back of the stereo and see what jacks they are connected to. One end must be OUT, the other must be IN.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #11

What TV

If you're still looking, we purchased a Jensen 12v tv with a cigarette lighter plug so the kids can watch tv without being attached to shore power or running the genset. Most TV's are low voltage but the voltage range they will properly work in is pretty narrow. The ones that are made to work with 12v have a wider voltage range they will function in. The OEM stereo unit has the DVD player built in and everything plugged in and worked perfectly.
Deserthauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, stereo