Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #21

We may buy an '09 F250 supercab with a V10 this weekend. From what I have read and been told, the V10 is a great engine. But, the '08 and earlier ones appear to have issues with the head because there weren't enough threads in the head to engage the plug threads. The V10 has more power, but less torque. Mileage seems good too.

We have heard of a lot of major problems with the Ford diesels. Head gasket failures and other problems. $7 - 10K in repairs if it hasn't been taken care of. One dealer told us he can't give them away. Maybe the more recent ones are better? We thought about getting a Chev with the duramax engine but the premium is as much as another $10K, depending on year.

Man, the F250s seem so much bigger overall than an F150!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #22

the ones they can't give away are the 6.0 ltre diesels they have a number of issues but nothing that can't be fixed if caught early for $8 to $10k! that's not good just stay away from them. the 7.3's are good and reliable but still have a few upgrades to be done but everyone knows them inside and out! the 6.4 is a good one but you need to get it with 30k miles or less and get the dpf deleted to keep the fuel dilution in the oil from taking out the top end of the motor if you want 400k miles or more out of them. they will actually start making oil and need oil changes every 3k miles not by the dash gauge if you don't delete the dpf which does require new exhaust and a tuner a good tuner. it will run about $2800 for the good parts with labor to do.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going thru the regen issues w/ my 2009 6.4L f250. It regens and smokes everytime it is rainy and the temp is below 50. It does this fequently, I have seen
3 times in 1 day. It takes my truck 20-25 miles to complete a cycle. It also now has an alternator issue and a leaking rear axle seal. We have owned it for 1 yr and 20,000 miles. We bought it with 32,000 miles on it and can't do the delete/tune or it will void the extended warranty. We are already contemplating trading it on a Chevy or dodge 1 ton.

As for towing, I can't say enough good things about it. Having come from an armada thatwas outmatched by a 7000 lb tt, it is a night and day difference. That said, I'm not currenty a ford diesel fan.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #24

ONly 10K,,,, I pull 12K with my F-250 4X4 6.0 diesel and have NO problem gettin the job done.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #25

To the OP, one thing you should also take into consideration is the longevity of the engine. The more of a load you put on an engine decreases the life of that engine and also increases the chance of parts failing. While the gas engine will do the job, how long can you expect it to do it working at close to maximum output?
I own a 2009 f-250 6.4 diesel which has been tuned and dpf deleted. No problems and I'd drive it anywhere. The tuner also doubles as extra monitoring gauges so I can keep a better eye on temps, pressures etc.. What dsrace was saying about the 6.4 is that it's a great engine. Basically overbuilt by international after all issues of the 6.0. However the EPA got evolved and made them add a DPF which is like a cancer killing a great engine. I could go on and on about the 6.4 and ill be the first to say, if you can't or won't delete the DPF...DON'T BUY ONE! I don't care if you have an extended warranty. With the DPF installed on a 6.4 YOU are doing damage to your engine. The EPA does not care how many miles your $50k truck lasts, it only cares that its not blowing soot out of the exhaust.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #26

Biggest difference between the V10 and Diesel? First good long grade you pull pulling 10k lbs. or more with that gasser you'll wonder if you should've got a diesel before you get to the top.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbenjy View Post
Biggest difference between the V10 and Diesel? First good long grade you pull pulling 10k lbs. or more with that gasser you'll wonder if you should've got a diesel before you get to the top.
Being the devil's advocate...

I agree that pulling the first steep grade, the difference will clearly show the towing power of the diesel truck. However when towing, I don't see any need to determinely try to maintain speed upgrade, especially on multi-lane highways...just burns extra fuel and saves a couple of minutes travel time. In fact if you were to look at this as the amount of upgrade towing you do, I know that for me it's less than 1% of the total towing. That said, I'm in no rush to replace my V10.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #28
daydreaming about camping

getting back to the truck OP is looking at:

what kind of miles does it have, condition and price?

The V10 was dropped form the Ford lineup in favor of the 6.2 gas engine. There are some known issues with the V10, as there is with virtually every engine out there.

For most people, simply towing a TT around, the V10 is more engine than they will ever need. It is thirsty, but cheaper. Crunch some numbers and make sure it works for you.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #29

V10 dropped? It is still sold in the HD segment and is in most gas class A/C motor homes. Great trouble free engine.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #30
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706 View Post
Hello all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2009 Ford f-350 CC dually 4x4 with the V-10 engine. Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about this vehicle? We will be pulling our Coachmen 28dds which is about 7k loaded. I know fuel mileage will be terrible, but it will not get many miles other than when pulling the camper. Thanks!
Not a Ford guy but...
IMO, the V10 your looking at will tow so much better than the Tundra you use now, especially with only 7K lb loaded camper.
Also, if you do get the itchy finger to purchase a larger TT or lightweight fifth wheel, the V10 will be well served.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #31

my first real tow machine was a 99 SD with the V10 I towed a 30ft glacier bay center console around that weighed about 9k on the trailer it preformed great but maryland roads are flat, never towed in the hills but I imagine it had plenty of power to tackle..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #32

Not to turn this into a discussion on gas vs diesel, but to me it seems like there is a lot more regular maintenance required on a diesel and you have to be timely with it. Regular (3,000 mile?) filter replacement for example. Whole new set of technical matters you really should/need to learn.

Me, I just want a truck that I can get into and turn the key and away we go (with warmup), like a gasser does. Won't kill the engine if I ignore or forget the service intervals. Easier to find gas vs diesel fuel on the road. Cheaper repairs. Easier to find a mechanic who knows gas engines if you have a breakdown when out on the open road. Not to mention the significantly higher purchase when new. One good plus to a diesel is that you can leave it sit all winter and not worry about the fuel going bad.

For a day or so, we thought about a new diesel truck, but can't justify the higher purchase and maintenance costs and diesel-specific things you have to stay on top of. Seems like it would take a lot of miles to get a payback on the purchase and maintenance cost of a diesel.

The Ford V10 is rated to tow 12,500 which I think should be good for most folks, unless you have a big rig that dictates a higher towing capacity.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #33

Change my oil every 5k miles because I do it myself. Fuel filters are every 15k. I'm not trying to start any conflict either between diesel or gas. They both have pros and cons. Just trying to point out a few things for him to consider.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #34

it all comes down to your needs and expectations.

on the 6.4 diesel either save the warranty and lose the motor right after the warranty is up or save the motor and lose the warranty + your current issues, it's up to you but that dpf is killing that engine. I bet they don't offer an extended warranty past 200k miles? at around 250k miles with the dpf the top end will be done in most cases from fuel dilution in the oil. every time ford flash's the pcm to update or try and fix a problem they are trying to reduce the amount of fuel shot in on the exhaust stroke, ford and navistar know what the problem is but won't spend the money to make it right after the sale! the 6.4 is the revised and improved 6.0 with most the issues removed but the twin turbo make that engine a pulling giant imo

the above post said he prefers gassers because he wants gas and go, there is nooooo such thing in this world. they may appear to be less maintenence to some but everyone I know maintains there own diesels because we want relieable tow vehicles and expect more than a gasser can offer. doesn't matter which brand you buy or model they all have issues the real trick is finding out what issues and how easy they are to fix and how many can fix them.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #35

I love the smell of diesel in the morning! Oh, sorry, nothing really to add here.
Either way ya go, gas or diesel, more weight in the vehicle is better. I’m only towing a 6k TT loaded with a 8k truck and love the feel. More truly is better! Happy camping.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #36

Thank you all so much for your advice and knowledge! Unfortunately, I couldn't get north as soon as I had wanted and the truck was sold. It sounded to good to be true but maybe it was the real deal. It was an 09 f-350 XL with many options, crew cab dually with the V-10 and 4wd. It had 65k and they were asking 17900 firm. It had a history pulling a skid steer for a concrete contractor according to the former owner.
Regardless, my search continues! I may just keep saving my pennies and get a new truck in a couple years if I can fight off the car buying fever!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #37
Incheon, S. Korea

Was a contractor's truck? LOL!
Be glad you didn't get it!
I used to be a commercial contractor. I know first-hand what happens to those trucks!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f-350