Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
my first real tow machine was a 99 SD with the V10 I towed a 30ft glacier bay center console around that weighed about 9k on the trailer it preformed great but maryland roads are flat, never towed in the hills but I imagine it had plenty of power to tackle..

2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Not to turn this into a discussion on gas vs diesel, but to me it seems like there is a lot more regular maintenance required on a diesel and you have to be timely with it. Regular (3,000 mile?) filter replacement for example. Whole new set of technical matters you really should/need to learn.

Me, I just want a truck that I can get into and turn the key and away we go (with warmup), like a gasser does. Won't kill the engine if I ignore or forget the service intervals. Easier to find gas vs diesel fuel on the road. Cheaper repairs. Easier to find a mechanic who knows gas engines if you have a breakdown when out on the open road. Not to mention the significantly higher purchase when new. One good plus to a diesel is that you can leave it sit all winter and not worry about the fuel going bad.

For a day or so, we thought about a new diesel truck, but can't justify the higher purchase and maintenance costs and diesel-specific things you have to stay on top of. Seems like it would take a lot of miles to get a payback on the purchase and maintenance cost of a diesel.

The Ford V10 is rated to tow 12,500 which I think should be good for most folks, unless you have a big rig that dictates a higher towing capacity.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
Change my oil every 5k miles because I do it myself. Fuel filters are every 15k. I'm not trying to start any conflict either between diesel or gas. They both have pros and cons. Just trying to point out a few things for him to consider.
2013 Columbus 320RS "The Wonder Wagon"
2009 F-250 4WD (Tuned) "Black Beauty"
captbenjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
it all comes down to your needs and expectations.

on the 6.4 diesel either save the warranty and lose the motor right after the warranty is up or save the motor and lose the warranty + your current issues, it's up to you but that dpf is killing that engine. I bet they don't offer an extended warranty past 200k miles? at around 250k miles with the dpf the top end will be done in most cases from fuel dilution in the oil. every time ford flash's the pcm to update or try and fix a problem they are trying to reduce the amount of fuel shot in on the exhaust stroke, ford and navistar know what the problem is but won't spend the money to make it right after the sale! the 6.4 is the revised and improved 6.0 with most the issues removed but the twin turbo make that engine a pulling giant imo

the above post said he prefers gassers because he wants gas and go, there is nooooo such thing in this world. they may appear to be less maintenence to some but everyone I know maintains there own diesels because we want relieable tow vehicles and expect more than a gasser can offer. doesn't matter which brand you buy or model they all have issues the real trick is finding out what issues and how easy they are to fix and how many can fix them.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
I love the smell of diesel in the morning! Oh, sorry, nothing really to add here.
Either way ya go, gas or diesel, more weight in the vehicle is better. I’m only towing a 6k TT loaded with a 8k truck and love the feel. More truly is better! Happy camping.
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
Thank you all so much for your advice and knowledge! Unfortunately, I couldn't get north as soon as I had wanted and the truck was sold. It sounded to good to be true but maybe it was the real deal. It was an 09 f-350 XL with many options, crew cab dually with the V-10 and 4wd. It had 65k and they were asking 17900 firm. It had a history pulling a skid steer for a concrete contractor according to the former owner.
Regardless, my search continues! I may just keep saving my pennies and get a new truck in a couple years if I can fight off the car buying fever!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #37
Incheon, S. Korea
Was a contractor's truck? LOL!
Be glad you didn't get it!
I used to be a commercial contractor. I know first-hand what happens to those trucks!

Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote