Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #21

1000 watt Inverter question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Was size alternator in your Ram? Doesn't the subwoofer required to listen to the CBC vinyl cafe reruns take a lot of juice while driving to the park?

Now now. Carefully what you say about Stuart!!

Single 220, but still have the idea to add the second available 220.

45 mins, $500 and a trip to the dealer to have 440A worth of alternators.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 07-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #22

Ha ha.

I have no idea what I have in the Ford. When they pull the cab on Thursday to do a valve job on the left side I can have a better look!

Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #23

To get back on topic. For your connection I would look to the fork lift industry for handling that much current a flat blade style connector would be needed for 100 amps of charge current
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
Site Team

The current available to charge the TT or 5er battery is almost always not determined by the size of the alternator in the TV. The issue is that as soon as you start drawing current in the aux pin, you start to lose voltage due to resistance. Unless you significantly upgrade the 12V aux wire from the fuse panel to the Bargman and back to the battery, you are fighting a loosing battle.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #25

I've done it on a few trucks around here.
I live in a fishing town, and as such, these are quite popular with the commercial fishers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468716948.798394.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	114303

I run a pair of 2 or 4ga from the truck battery, under the truck to a set of paddle connectors. The flat trailer has a battery and a large winch. Works well.

The same idea could easily by done to an Rv.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Wow, ok, I have a 23 amp hour 140 minute battery. My refrigerator is 115v/60hz and running amps is 1.1 and start up amps is 4. With nothing else running ideally I would be able to run the refrigerator for 23 hours? I have 1 small computer fan running on the inside refrigerator that will be running on gas. I am only looking for 3 hours travel time then hooked up to shore power. I understand my TV will not charge the battery. Do I stand a good chance of success?
why won't your tv be charging battery? 3 hour trip no problem. I've done 12 hour trip with no issues...and for 2+ hours the tv was off...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
why won't your tv be charging battery? 3 hour trip no problem. I've done 12 hour trip with no issues...and for 2+ hours the tv was off...
I was told by a few people that with the inverter going essentially the tv won't be able to charge the battery, not enough power can be supplied by the tv. I have never tried to do that.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #28

Quote:
I was told by a few people that with the inverter going essentially the tv won't be able to charge the battery, not enough power can be supplied by the tv. I have never tried to do that.
I have an F250, a 1000W inverter and a residential fridge. Not sure what size but probably about 18cuft. Not a side by side. I have a single 12v, 24 series battery and have run my fridge for over 12 hours while connected to TV only. During those 12 hours the TV was parked and off for over 2 hours.

I also know my fridge does not run constantly and seems to be off much longer than it is on. You said your fridge draws about 1 amp. That at is 120 watts on the 120v that the inverter needs to supply. You have a 1000 watt inverter but you only need 120 watts when fridge is running. Your battery needs to supply 120 watts to the inverter plus the watts needed to account for your inverters effenciency. Most inverters are at least 80% efficient so you need about 15 amps from you battery to supply the 120 watts to your fridge. Now you only need the 15 amps when the fridge is running (compressor on).

Again, I have yet to run mine down and I have seen posts on this site where folks have run dry camping for more than 24 hours.

make sure the 12v to your TT is active. On my F150 there was a relay and a fuse in the glovebox that needed to be installed. Easy way to tell is measure the voltage at your battery terminal with the TV on and off. When the TV is on the voltage at the battery terminals will increase.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have an F250, a 1000W inverter and a residential fridge. Not sure what size but probably about 18cuft. Not a side by side. I have a single 12v, 24 series battery and have run my fridge for over 12 hours while connected to TV only. During those 12 hours the TV was parked and off for over 2 hours.

I also know my fridge does not run constantly and seems to be off much longer than it is on. You said your fridge draws about 1 amp. That at is 120 watts on the 120v that the inverter needs to supply. You have a 1000 watt inverter but you only need 120 watts when fridge is running. Your battery needs to supply 120 watts to the inverter plus the watts needed to account for your inverters effenciency. Most inverters are at least 80% efficient so you need about 15 amps from you battery to supply the 120 watts to your fridge. Now you only need the 15 amps when the fridge is running (compressor on).

Again, I have yet to run mine down and I have seen posts on this site where folks have run dry camping for more than 24 hours.

make sure the 12v to your TT is active. On my F150 there was a relay and a fuse in the glovebox that needed to be installed. Easy way to tell is measure the voltage at your battery terminal with the TV on and off. When the TV is on the voltage at the battery terminals will increase.
I am towing it with a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 Power Stroke. It has a 20 amp fuse for charging the battery. My battery is a 23 amp hour 140 minute. What is a 24 series battery compared to a regular 12 volt battery?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #30

Quote:
I am towing it with a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 Power Stroke. It has a 20 amp fuse for charging the battery. My battery is a 23 amp hour 140 minute. What is a 24 series battery compared to a regular 12 volt battery?
It is actually called a group 24 deep cycle marine battery. It is designed to allow deeper discharge cycles without damaging the battery. The battery is rated at 80aH. Here is a link to typical batteries....

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...oup-sizes.html

If you search batteries on this site you will find many posts about using 6 volt golf cart type batteries connected in series as they have deeper cycle and I assume more ah capacity.

Tags
inverter