Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

120v generator to 50 amp service

I just got a new rv trailer that has a 50 amp service and was prewired for a generator. My generator is a portable inverter generator and only outputs 120v. The junction box to connect a generator has 4 wires, red black white and green. I made an extension chord out of the generator but it only has 3 wires. Can I simply connect the black from the chord to both the red and black in the junction box? Or does this somehow "double feed" the rv panel? It would seem similar to the 20 amp 120v to 50 amp adaptor by doing so.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #2

Why not get a 30 to 50 amp RV plug?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Team

You will most likely need a 30A to 50A adapter someday so safest solution is to get it now.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

If you have a portable generator then it maybe the easiest to use the service cord and a30-50amp adapter. If you insist on using the transfer switch, then the 30-50amp adapter is again the way to go. No knowing the size of your generator, but you will have to watch your loads.
Also you may want to search on the web for more info about RV electrical wiring. A 50 amp service is actually 2 separate 50amp hot feeds. It is not 240VAC like the drier or oven/stove in a home.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird69 View Post
Can I simply connect the black from the chord to both the red and black in the junction box?...
Well that depends of whether you already have a transfer switch between the four wire and the panel. If you do, yes you can connect the red and black together, white to white and green to ground.

Are you planning on doing this permanently or by using a cord and plug? If it is the latter and you have a transfer switch then you need a male on the box and a female on the generator cord, otherwise you have a hot male connector coming from the generator.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You will most likely need a 30A to 50A adapter someday so safest solution is to get it now.
X2

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

After re-reading your question. Yes, you can connect the hot legs together (black and red) together in the 50amp plug (NEMA 14-50) coming from the generator. The adapter would be needed if you were using a (NEMA TT-30) plug from the generator.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate your suggestions of just using the shore power chord etc.

Just so everyone understands my questions and reasoning. My last trailer had a permanent mounted onan 4000 generator. This one will have a portable due to a collapsible tack room. (This is a living quarter horse trailer) therefore I need the ability to remove the generator when we have electric available in campgrounds but use the generator when we are in remote primitive locations. The pre-wired generator junction box is directly above the tack room where the generator will set when I choose to take it along. So I thought for ease and convenience, I would drop a chord with a twist lock male plug straight down the wall that would conveniently plug into my generator once loaded. Therefore, I won't need to drag out the big 50 amp shore power chord when I arrive and uncoil from near the front all the way back to he end and into the tack area. All my wife needs to do is hit the remote start and WA-la!!!! I can be off drinking beer and playing corn hole!!!

So my question is if a 120 v generator chord with 1 lone hot wire can be wired into both hot wires in the junction box before going into the transfer switch without causing damage to the generator or the rv. I have all the adapters and could go that way but want to eliminate the extra work of dragging out chords.

Thanks again for inputs.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird69 View Post
So my question is if a 120 v generator chord with 1 lone hot wire can be wired into both hot wires in the junction box before going into the transfer switch without causing damage to the generator or the rv. I have all the adapters and could go that way but want to eliminate the extra work of dragging out chords.

Thanks again for inputs.
yes, you can. Put the appropriate plug on the cord that goes to the transfer switch that fits your generator's output receptacle.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/50-amp%20Service.pdf

Tags
50 amp, generator, service