Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

1st long trip and im nervous.

Had the new toy hauler a few months. 20 nights so far at races and campgrounds all with in 3 hrs of home. All good, no issues and we love it. So we plan our 1st big trip. NC to (night in between somewhere) OKC, picking up my son from Tinker AFB then on to Amarillo seeing inlaws a few days, then down to Houston for 5 days, on to Biloxi MS for 2-3 days, then make our way back to NC with an overnight between Biloxi and home.

Reservations made at campgrounds (boon docking in Amarillo), truck will be serviced and everything I can think of checked on the TH.

I suppose once we hit the road later next month it will ease off, but good grief I am nervous (forgetting something or breakdowns).

Were you nervous on your first big trip or am I just being silly ?
JCMINIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Make up and USE a Little Checklist,cuts down on the Nerves! Use it before pulling out Every time! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Nervous can be a good thing, makes me double check everything. There will be problems just work through them and it will be fine. Good Luck!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Probably more anxious than nervous? We are always a little excited about heading out, regardless of how many times or how long the trip is. The way we look at it is all trips are adventure and you never know what you may see or what can happen. Yeah you may forget something. ...i think we all do. As long as you don't forget your wife and kids or pets if you have them, you are good to go. ...everything else can be picked up as you need or remember it.
Have fun. ...relax....Enjoy!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Site Team

You'll be fine. Plan ahead, (fuel, cgs, food stops, rest stops, etc) have copilot watching for exits, and enjoy the trip. Your worst part will be I-10 across south Louisiana. Lots of bouncing so slow accordingly. Let us know how it goes.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I always get a balance of excitement and nerves before a really big trip.

But, I'm a planner by nature and what also helps me is to double check my departure checklists. After that, I just expect/assume the inevitable delay will crop up here or there and I'm fine when it happens. Just part of the fun.

Enjoy the trip!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #7

The only thing to worry about is breakdowns, you can buy things you forget. I have had a number of breakdowns over the past years. None ever required more than a nights stay in a motel while repairs were being made. Just be sure to bring a credit card and cash. Use the credit card for everything you can and save the cash for anything else. We always wonder though, if we are 1500 miles from home and have a major breakdown what would we do? Fly home and fly back after repairs were made? Who knows? Fortunately we haven't had to deal with this yet. Keeping my finger crossed.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
The only thing to worry about is breakdowns, you can buy things you forget. I have had a number of breakdowns over the past years. None ever required more than a nights stay in a motel while repairs were being made. Just be sure to bring a credit card and cash. Use the credit card for everything you can and save the cash for anything else. We always wonder though, if we are 1500 miles from home and have a major breakdown what would we do? Fly home and fly back after repairs were made? Who knows? Fortunately we haven't had to deal with this yet. Keeping my finger crossed.
I like this post. On all vacations, not just camping, the Master Card and some cash will make most problems go away. A passport helps too but not so much while camping.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #9

Don't forget your pills. Not easy to replace away from home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #10

Dcheatwood is sooo right about I 10 through Louisiana, one of the worst roads in all the U.S.A. I've been on smoother dirt roads in the Rockies. Came across I 10 this past January, talk about a shake down trip!!! Take your time and all will go well.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #11

The travel will be good for you as a new adventure

On a long trip it will always take longer to get from point A to point B.

If you are falling behind in 'time' and want to 'speed up'... do not do it... bad things do and will happen and you will be farther behind in the time frame. Put your TV at a steady speed and leave it there (60-67 mph?).

Plan your route and most of your stops well in advance before you get there. Do not hit the wrong places in the wrong time of day. (7:00-8:00 am, 4:00-6:00 pm)

Check your tire pressure before, during and after the days travel. Do you have and air pump to inflate your tires (cold tires)? I have a 'gun' to check the heat of the tires

Do not get tired from 'sitting to long', stop every 2-4 hours to stretch your legs, get fuel to top off and to go to the bath room. This will take more 'time', but you will enjoy the trip so much more.

Have a great and safe trip. You will enjoy it and will want to adventure long distances over the years.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

My first outing with mine was the Loose Moose National in Marquette Mi. (6/29/14) (8) hours from me. Across the bridge (Mackinaw) etc. etc.

I was going alone (wife and son both had schedule conflicts).

None of my racing buds were making it to that event either.

No campsites, just boondocking at the race pits.

Never owned an RV before (camped in my enclosed snowmobile trailer at the same event last year got down to 36deg F over night!).

Never pulled a 5th wheel before.

Sooo i was a little nervous, but most everything went off without a hitch.
(except I rode like a squid)

I have never been much of a "list" guy, but that changed. I stole a couple from the good folks on this site, and modified / combined them into one. It still needs some editing, but it is close. I'll attach it here.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Loose Moose Camping List 6_23_14.doc (29.0 KB, 63 views)
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #13

036.6turbo - Good list. Thanks!
browj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The travel will be good for you as a new adventure

On a long trip it will always take longer to get from point A to point B.

If you are falling behind in 'time' and want to 'speed up'... do not do it... bad things do and will happen and you will be farther behind in the time frame. Put your TV at a steady speed and leave it there (60-67 mph?).

Plan your route and most of your stops well in advance before you get there. Do not hit the wrong places in the wrong time of day. (7:00-8:00 am, 4:00-6:00 pm)

Check your tire pressure before, during and after the days travel. Do you have and air pump to inflate your tires (cold tires)? I have a 'gun' to check the heat of the tires

Do not get tired from 'sitting to long', stop every 2-4 hours to stretch your legs, get fuel to top off and to go to the bath room. This will take more 'time', but you will enjoy the trip so much more.

Have a great and safe trip. You will enjoy it and will want to adventure long distances over the years.
Agree with Les...you can't check the tires enough, TV and trailer. The guys on this forum turned me on to the infared thermometer (What an eye opener when you start checking the various temps on your rig.) And do a walk around every time you stop. Squat down and check the inside walls of the tires. Matter of fact like the carpenter says, measure twice, cut once. I walk around counter clockwise from the driver's door then walk back around counterclockwise to view things from a different angle.

And watch out for low hanging stuff! Good luck and happy trails.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Agree with Les...you can't check the tires enough, TV and trailer. The guys on this forum turned me on to the infared thermometer (What an eye opener when you start checking the various temps on your rig.) And do a walk around every time you stop. Squat down and check the inside walls of the tires. Matter of fact like the carpenter says, measure twice, cut once. I walk around counter clockwise from the driver's door then walk back around counterclockwise to view things from a different angle.

And watch out for low hanging stuff! Good luck and happy trails.

CRAP!!!! Just had a senior moment...I walk back around the rig clockwise on my second trip around. LOL
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #16

All good points ! Thanks for the list 036.6turbo. I have been using a list for our racing and camping thus far. I have not forgot anything super important yet. We do plan on taking our time and seeing the sights. At a combined length of 63ft, I don't much go over 65mph. I have 3 days of "vacay/home" time at the end of the trip for unforeseen things that might slow us down and again, in no hurry what so ever.

As a M/C technician, im pretty OCD about tire pressures and mechanical systems on truck and TH. I think all will be fine, yet still nervous. Like mentioned possibly its excitement as well.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
036.6turbo - Good list. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMINIS View Post
All good points ! Thanks for the list 036.6turbo. I have been using a list for our racing and camping thus far. I have not forgot anything super important yet. We do plan on taking our time and seeing the sights. At a combined length of 63ft, I don't much go over 65mph. I have 3 days of "vacay/home" time at the end of the trip for unforeseen things that might slow us down and again, in no hurry what so ever.

As a M/C technician, im pretty OCD about tire pressures and mechanical systems on truck and TH. I think all will be fine, yet still nervous. Like mentioned possibly its excitement as well.
I really can't take credit for the list, I stole it from those here, then made it mine.

You'll do fine. When you return, you'll be swinging that 63' around like a seasoned semi truck driver!
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMINIS View Post

If you don't have one already...I highly advise a TPMS for your camper tires, it will take a load off your mind to be able to monitor them from the seat of your truck....they work great and will help divert all issues except an instant blowout

Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post

You'll do fine. When you return, you'll be swinging that 63' around like a seasoned semi truck driver!
Im pretty comfortable driving and backing it. Ive had it in a spot or two, that made me wonder if I could get out but so far so good. Such as my last race in Kentucky. I learned that not all Pilot gas stations are truck stops ! Wasn't paying attention to the Pilot due to heavy traffic and once I had already turned into the entrance realized it was a regular gas station with a fast food restaurant attached to it and a SMALL parking lot.. Took a few minutes to get out (couldn't get to pump) and made a few people mad from having to wait but o well.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #20

Keep in mind that you might be going through some pretty desolate areas and it might be a ways between fuel stations.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote