Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
1st timer confused, 5th Wheel family options

The more I research the more I'm confused with so many options. I am planning a decent trip across a lot of states starting in late Feb. From Texas > Grand canyon up then across to DC over a couple months.

I've been looking at the Silverback35QB4 as a good option, but then thinking the Wildcat 312QBX with the bunk room desk is very handy for our kids 4,6 and 8. After a few months of constant use it will probably only be used here and there for a few weeks.

Things to consider.
1. It's likely we'll need to camp briefly in sub-freezing temps. Insulation!
2. I don't want cheapest or most expensive build, but quality is important. Don't want formaldehyde or minimal.
3. I'd prefer a 35' then 40'+, will travel over 5k miles initially.
4. Was learning towards 5th wheel
5. Some free camping possible - generator, washing machine?
6. We will be visiting a lot of NParks. any restrictions?
7. Good resale value in 2-3 years.

So many questions I know. Is the Wildcat a good option, or are there better options.
Appreciate any direction as seem to be going around in circles.
__________________

__________________
matcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
So the national parks campgrounds and 40' don't usually go hand in hand. From what I understand the national parks have length restrictions and IIRC it us usually somewhere under 30'. With length always comes limitations. It will be something you have to accept. If you go that big you will need to stay outside the parks and drive in. Also understand you will likely need a a 1 ton SRW truck at minimum, dually even better for towing what you are looking at.

Many 5ers have washer/dryer hook ups but realize this will eat up valuable closet space and fill your water tanks quickly. If you are ok with this then great, if not then skip the washer/dryer and use a campground or local laundromat.

As for resale value, all trailers drastically lose their value quickly, there is no getting around it. Best way to get money out of them when ready to move to the next rig is to sell it on craigslist as you will get more money there than from a dealership.

On the formaldehyde, as far as I know, they all have it. You have to air them out and clean them out really well. The odor diminishes with time.

2 nice 5ers to look into are the palomino sabre 34tbok and the 36qbok.
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
2 nice 5ers to look into are the palomino sabre 34tbok and the 36qbok.
Thanks so much for all the info. On this point though, it might be making for some more confusion , These models look ok as well. But why so many models all with similar floor plans. I'm unable to view in person at present, so this makes it difficult to determine quality etc

Can anyone say how the Sabre is different to either the Silverback or wildcat extralite models?
__________________
matcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcheson View Post
Thanks so much for all the info. On this point though, it might be making for some more confusion , These models look ok as well. But why so many models all with similar floor plans. I'm unable to view in person at present, so this makes it difficult to determine quality etc

Can anyone say how the Sabre is different to either the Silverback or wildcat extralite models?
I can say we looked at wildcats and decided 100% on the sabre.
We love the tbok floor plan.

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 50
Should check out the 356QBQ, its longer then you want, but it was perfect for us. We started out smaller, and realized we want BIG. Don't even notice it behind me when towing, but the separate bunk house, and the space make a big difference. The second bathroom is great as well. Very happy with our purchase. Also its very easy to get a great deal on one.
__________________
proggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcheson View Post
The more I research the more I'm confused with so many options. I am planning a decent trip across a lot of states starting in late Feb. From Texas > Grand canyon up then across to DC over a couple months.

I've been looking at the Silverback35QB4 as a good option, but then thinking the Wildcat 312QBX with the bunk room desk is very handy for our kids 4,6 and 8. After a few months of constant use it will probably only be used here and there for a few weeks.

Things to consider.
1. It's likely we'll need to camp briefly in sub-freezing temps. Insulation!
2. I don't want cheapest or most expensive build, but quality is important. Don't want formaldehyde or minimal.
3. I'd prefer a 35' then 40'+, will travel over 5k miles initially.
4. Was learning towards 5th wheel
5. Some free camping possible - generator, washing machine?
6. We will be visiting a lot of NParks. any restrictions?
7. Good resale value in 2-3 years.

So many questions I know. Is the Wildcat a good option, or are there better options.
Appreciate any direction as seem to be going around in circles.
This is the Post I was referring to! I think he just posted another (Cold) post for this Trip? Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, fuse, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.