Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
mrv

2 months in with our Cedar Creek Cottage some questions

Being new to ownership of a Cottage Trailer, questions arise everyday. We would like to use it all year, mostly on weekends. Concerns we have are,
1 Will the supply to the hot water heater freeze in the area were the hot water is located?
2 Are the low point drains under the belly of the Rig going to freeze in the winter? If we have the fresh water tank full. (we live in New Jersey)
3 Will the tank blankets and the central heating system keep the water pipes from freezing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

I have family with a park model in southern NJ (not a Cedar Creek) and they winterize it towards the end of October. If they go out during the winter, they'll either go without water or will just re-winterize before they leave.

In cold weather, condensation is the bigger problem. They run a fairly sizable dehumidifier while they're using it.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

I have read some use a heated water supply line also. I would call these 3 season campers, not quite 4 for the temps we get on the east coast.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #4

X2 on the 3 season. I would put insulated skirting around the whole trailer with a couple of heat lamps .
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

All good advice above.

If this is in a campground, the owners of most campgrounds also typically provide winterizing for a small fee. Our CG charges $50 to close and $25 to open in spring. Most members take advantage of this service. I don't but I may be an idiot in this regard. Most RV mobile services and RV sellers that are local also do this kind of work. You do need to take some action as far as winterizing your RV.

We use our RV in the winter. After winterizing in fall, we use the toilet and bathroom sink, waste side only. Re-winterize both before we leave. Takes all of two minutes. Never turning back on the city water after we winterize until spring. Something else to consider. We visited our RV last February. I went to the local big box store in February to purchase some RV anti-freeze for the toilet and sink, waste side re-winterize. All the big box stores had put the RV anti-freeze back into storage as they were preparing for spring. This fall, I purchased a few extra gallons of anti-freeze to keep at the seasonal site for winter visits.

We use a Pirit Heated Hose that we like very much.
Amazon Link to Hose we use.

I think you need to think about mouse control too. We leave poison in proper containers both outside and inside. Stopping them outside seems more important to me then killing them once they get inside. Some of our neighbors have neglected to do this and have experienced huge cleaning issues in spring. We also have sprayed expanding foam around all pipes and openings.

On closing weekend we also clean our trailer on the inside / outside and treat the seals with 303 Aerospace Protectant spray.

Lastly, bugs. We spay around our camper before we leave, often, and never experience bug trouble but did when we first started. Asian beetles are a real fall problem in our part of the world. Each slide gets packed full of them after closing. We found that spraying some powerful bug control concentrate we found on Amazon helps a lot.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

You need to winterize, period end of story.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
You need to winterize, period end of story.
I don't think so. You indicated you will be using it all year. RV antifreeze taste terrible. If you got the arctic package in your Cedar Creek, you are good to 0 degrees. If you did not get that package, you probably cannot be in freezing weather.

I have the 36CKTS cedar creek with the arctic package and have wintered in Maryland with the temperature down to 4 degrees with no problems. We live in our RV full time.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I don't think so. You indicated you will be using it all year. RV antifreeze taste terrible. If you got the arctic package in your Cedar Creek, you are good to 0 degrees. If you did not get that package, you probably cannot be in freezing weather.

I have the 36CKTS cedar creek with the arctic package and have wintered in Maryland with the temperature down to 4 degrees with no problems. We live in our RV full time.
there is a big difference in living in an RV and using it once and awhile over the winter. Living in it you have the heat on all the time so the pipes and tanks stay warm.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

My last rv was a 2014 COTTAGE and we did one winter in Eastern NC, we only had below freezing for 2-3 days straight a few times. The hot water line froze one time but we had only the cold water dripping. I put insulation around the tank and used a trouble light when it was below 35. You should invest in a dehumidifier because the windows will sweat, I never used the fresh water tank but did have the artic pack, heat pumps and dual pain windows. Get some ceramic heaters to help take the chill out, we traded so my wife could hang a full length mirror (partly why) we had the CRS model. Good luck
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
there is a big difference in living in an RV and using it once and awhile over the winter. Living in it you have the heat on all the time so the pipes and tanks stay warm.
I stand corrected.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
mrv

Thanks for all of the input. I may not have provided enough info about the rig. It' underbelly has a rating of R38, double pane windows. We intend to leave the heat on when we are not there. Our concerns are the low point drains below the underbelly & the supply to the hot water heater freezing. The compartment where the hot water is located in the back corner of the rig. Thinking insulating it along with a light bulb of some sort for some heat or am I just pissing in the wind
Old 09-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I stand corrected.
Looks like I stand corrected! lol looks like he is going to have the heat on all the time. I didn't understand his statement water to the water heater I'm assuming city water so a heated water line would be in order.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
mrv

Cool

Again Thanks for all the input. The low point drains outside of the underbelly are still a worry. is there water at these drain points that may freeze? Sorry but as I said we are just feeling our way thru this.