Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Post 2 quick questions- TV and cooking inside

I have two questions that I hope you all can give me some insight on, since I am new to owning a TT (upgraded from a pop up.)

1) I am buying my own TV (small 19inch) because I thought the TV option from Forest River was way too expensive..is there anything specific I need to be on the lookout for- meaning, are there certain things in a TV that don't or do work in a TT versus home use?

2) how many people cook inside a TT? Are there specific things you won't cook inside, does the smell of cooking linger inside the trailer and get into your bedding/cushions, etc?

Thanks for the information!
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Where should we go next!

Make sure your TV is digital ready and that it has a good viewing angle. Depending on where you will be viewing it from, you may not be able to see it if it can not be viewed well from the side.

We cook everything for the most part except for bacon inside. Usually when we are done we will light a candle while we are cleaning up and getting ready to head out. We blow it out before we leave and have not had any problems with odors lingering. With that being said we do try to cook more outside than inside.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post

2) how many people cook inside a TT? Are there specific things you won't cook inside, does the smell of cooking linger inside the trailer and get into your bedding/cushions, etc?
The smells do linger, but not near enough in my opinion.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Where should we go next!

I also forgot to mention that we only stay where there is electric. If you plan on boondocking(no hook ups of any kind) and just run off the camper battery, then you need to know that a regular TV will not work. For that you will need a TV that is 9 volts. Those can be purchased at Camping World, but at a premium in comparison to an ordinary TV purchased for run o the mill home use.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offagain View Post
If you plan on boondocking(no hook ups of any kind) and just run off the camper battery, then you need to know that a regular TV will not work. For that you will need a TV that is 9 volts. Those can be purchased at Camping World, but at a premium in comparison to an ordinary TV purchased for run o the mill home use.
I think that should read 12 volts.

You can find 12 volt TVs on the net that will work. We bought a 15.3 inch TV with built-in DVD player from Road Truckers for $250....more expensive than a comparable 120 volt, be we dry camp much of the time.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #6

The only cooking we do inside is in the microweave, all other cooking is on the firering or on an electric grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	last campfire of 2910.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	4916  
Attached Images

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #7

As far as the TV my camper did not come with one so i added my own 32", a little mod had to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	com%231.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4917  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Where should we go next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

I think that should read 12 volts.

You can find 12 volt TVs on the net that will work. We bought a 15.3 inch TV with built-in DVD player from Road Truckers for $250....more expensive than a comparable 120 volt, be we dry camp much of the time.
Sorry, 12 volts it is. Thanks mtnguy.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

I was beginning to think they don't make 9V televisions versus 12V...........but then with all the other cut backs we have to endure these days with the economic downturn, maybe 12V had become 9V.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Site Team

we mainly cook inside when it's just the two of us. the DW does most of the cooking and she prefers having everything she needs at her fingertips. so she cooks inside.
we've never had lingering odors but we have the hood fan and the fantastic fan going when cooking odorous stuff.

if you camp with electric hookups, any digital tv is fine. if you dry camp, then you have two options, 12v tv or an inverter to run a regular tv.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
2011 Crusader 320RLT

3rd option... a generator! We used a generator so I could watch tv while the guys went hunting! Everything worked!
lilspiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspiritus View Post
3rd option... a generator! We used a generator so I could watch tv while the guys went hunting! Everything worked!
And what do you do during generator quiet times that are imposed at National and State Parks ??

Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #13

The other option for a TV that works off 12 volts is to buy a smaller TV. I noticed Best Buy in the US has one or two "portable" TVs- they work off 12 volt power as well. They are smaller; 7-10 inches. However for me that is almost a benefit. It's not big enough that I'll end up inside just watching TV.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspiritus View Post
that works for boondocking or hunting camps, but not for campgrounds.

two to three hours of constant generator usage is considered good campground manners. any additional time is very inconsiderate.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Site Team

I brought a 22" TV from Costco and it works great. It is wall mounted with a swing out arm that locks in place during travel. (Available at Camping World) I hook up a portable DVD player for movies. I already had the DVD player which I used when I was tent camping.

I do cook inside and so far no problem. The scent of the food does not last long but I do open a window or two and try to avoid cooking on high. For those items with a very strong smell I would consider cooking outside.

As for bacon I didn't have any problem with the smell lasting long.
*Open window
*Cooking on lower temp
*Use a lid
*Avoid burners closest to wall if possible
*Discard grease promplty

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

A 110 volt TV will work off battery power with a properly sized inverter, but by the time you buy a quality inverter, you could probably pay for the extra money involved in buying a 12 volt TV.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #17

Thanks to all for the information..sounds like a regular flat panel TV will do just fine and that I don't need to worry too much about cooking inside..I will be curious to see how the oven works, since I've never had an oven before when camping.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
And what do you do during generator quiet times that are imposed at National and State Parks ??
If you find yourself in this situation (I do all the time) you should look at a good 1500 watt inverter. It will provide a dedicated circuit 120 AC off the batteries to run the TV and DVD or Satellite Receiver.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
Where should we go next!

Oven works great! We bring frozen pizzas for snacking at night. A lot of times my wife will cook what we will be having a day before we leave. When dinner rolls around we just heat it up in the oven, electric griddle, electric skillet or microwave. Sometimes a combination of them. We got a little tired of the hot dog, burger option.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We did the same thing... purchased an "Insigna" 19" flat screen TV...had our FR dealer install on the swing same thingy when we picked up our camper. So far so good (knock wood) No problems as of yet. Stays in place when we travel... picks up all kinds of stations on just the antenna...and works VERY well on cable hook up too.

As far as cooking... we opted for the gas oven..and so glad we did! We cook inside LOTS!! (outside too)....think the only thing I don't cook inside is fish, but I don;t cook fish inside at home anyway.

Instead of Fabreeze I use "Simple Solution"
Simple Solution® — We Make Pet Care Easier™
We do have dogs... but even if you don't it works great! A little more expensive but soooooo worth it!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote