Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #21

I hate to say this but the pictures of your good tires looked a like they were at different angles. This reminds me of my last trailer, it ended up that the frame was bent. The floor also was like yours. My trailer was totaled because they don't straighten frames, costs too much. Make sure u get an adjuster that knows RV's. I had full cost replacement on my insurance, that helped a lot. I'm no expert, so I hope yours isn't as bad. Good luck.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Honis View Post
Hi Vibe and Seadog,

I did not check the tourque of the lug nuts, because it was a new trailer. I'll be sure to check the lug nuts in the future on every trip. I only haul telescope gear in my toy hauler and it is a few hundred pounds at most.

The oval hole in the rim is most likely caused by the stud as the wheel was coming off the trailer.

Gary
Ouch. That hurts to just look and think about it. Probably because of side loads on tires, trailers seem more vulnerable to wheel nuts coming loose.

SOOOOO they cover their rear. Even my Harbor Freight build it at home trailer and my now 11 year old TH, not to mention our 2017 FR TH,,,, all had stickers near every wheel that say DRIVER MUST CHECK LUG NUT TORQUE BEFORE MOVING TRAILER. Covers their rear for line technicians errors too.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #23

Quick question

You mentioned you had recent work done on the TT. Did in entail removal of the wheels? Sorry to here of your problem. My guess is the wheels were never adequately torqued. Have you checked the other side? Bet somebodies air compressor and/or impact tool wasn't working correctly. For a catastrophic failure you had a safe albeit frustrating ending. KEEP THE FAITH...
NatlChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #24

My Lippert literature stated to check torque @ 10,20 & 50 miles anytime wheel was mounted, thought this might have been a little much but decided to go ahead and stop and check torque at 10 miles, it was a good thing I did. I couldn't believe how much they were below torque value, made a believer out of me, I check torque and tire pressure every other day on long trips, well worth the 5 minutes for the peace of mind.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #25

It's also entirely possible that the nuts just weren't final torqued by whoever put the wheels on the last time. I hate to admit it, but last winter when I was rotating my tires, I neglected to final torgue the left front wheel (getting old, I guess). I had tightened them "wrench tight," but didn't do the final with the torque wrench. It lasted 2500 miles before the nuts loosened up enough to be noticeable.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #26

When we got our salem 26tbud a year ago i checked the lug torque as soon as i got home even though there was a sticker on it from the dealer saying what they torqued the lugs to. It was only about 30 miles and i got at least one full turn out of every lug on it.
5OHcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #27

While we're on the topic of axles. Did you pull your hubs off and grease
the bearings? I was taught by a former Boat/RV mechanic. He told me
that about half the new trailers "out there" leave the dealer with little or
no grease in the axle bearings. The reason is the dealer is "supposed" to do it but it's "a dirty job". Who get's the dirty jobs? The Grunts & the grunts
don't like to get their hands dirty. So unless you see it done or do it yourself there's really no way of knowing unless you do it yourself.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #28

NatlChamp asked:
"You mentioned you had recent work done on the TT. Did in entail removal of the wheels?"

No, it went back to the factory for other issues.

Ian asked:
"While we're on the topic of axles. Did you pull your hubs off and grease the bearings?"

No, I never greased the bearings because it was a new trailer that I got back from the factory on April 20 and we have trailer inspections in PA. It was inspected by the dealer that sold it to me.

Gary
Gary Honis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #29

dang that's too bad. I only check mine after reading about this in another post
todd172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #30

Looks suspiciously like there were wheels running loose before they came off. I check ours with a torque wrench every week. If the wheels have been off, I check every couple hundred miles until Lm comfortable they are at the correct torque.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I too am going to lean towards the scenario that somewhere between the factory and/or at the dealer, someone tried to steal your wheels and tires and were somehow interrupted.

It is unfortunate you didn't notice anything suspect before leaving the dealer but I am also glad no one was hurt.
I am more of the school that someone torqued one side and got distracted and never hit the other side.

My dealer saw me take our my torque wrench at the PDI and was quick to say they had just done that for me. I torque to 95 to 100 fpt and found all tight but sever below about 70 fpt based upon my estimate and experience doing this over and over again and with My ADHD I sympathize with someone being interupted and dropping the ball, You, the transport driver or the factory. Seems like the sticker that says CHECK WHEEL LUGS BEFORE MOVE THE TRAILER was neglected, maybe by all.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puma, towing, toy hauler, wheel