Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #1

2009 Mini Lite 1809s price

I am new to travel trailers and need some guidance. I am seriously thinking of buying a 2009 Mini Lite 1809s but am not sure if asking price of $11,000 is reasonable or not. Trailer appears to be in near new condition and has all available options. I think it sold for around $18K new but am not sure on that. I'm strongly leaning toward getting the trailer but dont want to pay to much. What do you think about the price? Is $11K ballpark for a 2009 in good/excellent shape.
llbaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #2

Your credit union or bank will be able to look up the value for you. Just give them a call or stop by their office.

In the area I live and in the areas I camp, there are people who have mobile rv repair services that do onsite repairs. I highly recommend having such a person inspect the trailer before purchase. Yes, it may cost you $80 to $100, but it will be money well spent to avoid problems. The guy that I use does this all the time for prospective buyers. If you are in the McComb, MS area or nearby in Louisiana, call Ken at Dixie Springs RV Services at (601) 276-9428.

IIBaker2, although the roof has a 12 year warranty, prorated beginning with year 3, you are required to keep maintenance records and receipts for caulking/sealant supplies – ask for these records.

Ask where the unit was stored (outdoors in the open or under cover). Crawl under the unit and inspect the frame for damage (warping, cracks).

Check the tires’ DOT number for the date code (example: DOT 1KMM16A 2211), whereas the “2211” means the tires were manufactured the 22 week of 2011. Trailer tires have a 5 year lifespan. If you purchase the trailer, be sure to check the tires for proper inflation before you tow it.

Ask if the wheel bearings were greased and how often. Ask what grease was used.

Have them plug the trailer to power and check all the appliances for proper working condition. Ask if there has been any recalls on any of the appliances (if you hire a technician to look the trailer over, they’ll know this). Preferably, connect to the water supply to check for leaks.

Ask if it contains the original battery and if the battery was disconnected when in storage to prevent drain. Some units have a battery disconnect switch.

Ask for all the manuals and literature that came with the unit.

Ask if the unit has an extended warranty. If not and you purchase the unit, since the unit is not that old, you may be able to get an extended warranty through your credit union or bank? Ask your credit union or bank when you ask about the value of the unit.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

We have a 2010 Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S that we bought new thru RV-Direct. Picked it up in Elkhart, IN for $12,732.00 so $11,000 for a 3 year old trailer sounds to high.Have you checked what a new one thru RV Wholesale or RV-Direct would cost you? We sure enjoy our "Little One"!

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
We have a 2010 Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S that we bought new thru RV-Direct. Picked it up in Elkhart, IN for $12,732.00 so $11,000 for a 3 year old trailer sounds to high.Have you checked what a new one thru RV Wholesale or RV-Direct would cost you? We sure enjoy our "Little One"!
Checked with RV-Direct who gave a quote of $14,700. I would venture to guess there would be some additional cost before making it out the door.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by llbaker2 View Post
Checked with RV-Direct who gave a quote of $14,700. I would venture to guess there would be some additional cost before making it out the door.
other than taxes and delivery charges, if you have it delivered, neither RVDirect or RVW have any hidden costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by llbaker2 View Post
Actually the quote we got & agreed on from RV-Direct was to the penny for the total cost. As I said we picked our up at their place in Elkhart, IN. They did a PDI had checked everything out to make sure it worked & explained it all to us. They filled the propane tanks & installed a battery.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Actually the quote we got & agreed on from RV-Direct was to the penny for the total cost. As I said we picked our up at their place in Elkhart, IN. They did a PDI had checked everything out to make sure it worked & explained it all to us. They filled the propane tanks & installed a battery.
There website states that pick-up is not available at Ekhart. Do they make exceptions or has there policy changed? Maybe thats if you have one built rather than picking from their inventory.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

We did order our trailer & picked it up in May 2010 with a 2011 title. So if you order one now it would probably carry a 2013 title. Once you pay for the unit RV-Direct will send you all of the paper work that you can take to your DMV office to get it licensed & local sales taxes paid.

I see you are from Rolla, MO been thru there many times during my trucking days.
What do you have for a tow vehicle?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
We did order our trailer & picked it up in May 2010 with a 2011 title. So if you order one now it would probably carry a 2013 title. Once you pay for the unit RV-Direct will send you all of the paper work that you can take to your DMV office to get it licensed & local sales taxes paid.

I see you are from Rolla, MO been thru there many times during my trucking days.
What do you have for a tow vehicle?
I may hold off for a while. Been bouncing around the past few years looking of a job that works for me. I am good on the job front now. Looking to buy a place (currently renting). Dont really have a good place to keep a trailer right now. Hope to get a few acres with a pole barn or two for storage etc.

I noticed most places give MSRP ($18K for 1809S) as new price. Base on this I thought $11K sounded pretty good. The quote from RV-Direct was almost $4K under MSRP which makes $11K no bargin. Kinda think a 2109S might work better for me. Like the layout of the bed better (dont have to crawl over one another if ya gotta get up during middle of night. Not much bigger than the 1809S so should pull just fine.

I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado, 5.3 L V8 w/towing package and extra rear leaf spings.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #10

Im a bit confused. I have read in several post where people have picked up there trailers, I assumed to avoid the delivery charge. I taded emails with Jeff at RV-Direct and he stated that there is on way to avoid delivery charge. See quote from Jeff below:

"The manufacturer charges us to ship the camper to our dealership. There is no way to avoid paying shipping. Every dealer in the country pays for this. We just list it separately because we have 4 locations around the country to pick up from. Feel free to call me if you still need more info concerning this."

Jeff

Why would you pick up your trailer if you have to pay delivery regardless?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

I just checked RV-Direct web site & see where it is not available to be picked up in Elkhart IN or Des Moines IA - evidently they have closed those two. I do know of someone who had a new trailer shipped to their home in Lawrence KS.

I also know another party that picked one up in IA last year - sorry but it looks like I told you wrong.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
I just checked RV-Direct web site & see where it is not available to be picked up in Elkhart IN or Des Moines IA - evidently they have closed those two. I do know of someone who had a new trailer shipped to their home in Lawrence KS.

I also know another party that picked one up in IA last year - sorry but it looks like I told you wrong.
No need for apologies. Your comments are very much appreciated!

I guess sometimes it works out to be slightly cheaper to pick up trailer at one of dealers sites rather than delivered to your door. In my case its cheeper to have delivered to my door. I picked up my last trailer (a Burro) at dealer/manufacturer and saved the delivery fee. I guess RV-Direct is just a dealer and they pay manufacturer to deliver to their site or directly to customer and pass that cost to customer. I guess delivery cost is dependent on location of dealer site, your home and manufacturer. Which ever is closest to manufacturer would be the lower cost. This is all just an assumption. Your gonna pay delivery cost regardless unless go can buy directly from a manufacturer. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Tags
1809s