Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

2010 forest river Lexington Gts 27 ft. Refrigerator question

The rv refrigerator doesn't seem to keep the refrigerator section cold. The rv is parked in my daughter's driveway and is parked on a angle. Can anyone offer any advise as to why the fridge section isn't cold. We are hooked up to electricity and the "check light" is not on. The freezer seems to be working.
Bdhousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdhousel View Post
The rv refrigerator doesn't seem to keep the refrigerator section cold. The rv is parked in my daughter's driveway and is parked on a angle. Can anyone offer any advise as to why the fridge section isn't cold. We are hooked up to electricity and the "check light" is not on. The freezer seems to be working.
Quote:
The RV Fridge condenser needs two requirements meet in order for it to sustain the refrigeration cycle. The first is the condenser environment temperature must remain below the condensation temperature of ammonia at the system pressure, otherwise the ammonia will remain in a gaseous state. Therefore, the condenser requires proper air circulation. The second factor for proper operation is that the condenser is level such that the liquid ammonia will flow into the evaporator. When the fridge is operated off-level the ammonia will pool in the condenser. This pooling results in Q4 flow cessation and thus stops the refrigeration process because the ammonia cannot enter the evaporator for cooling of the fridge. In addition, the pooling of ammonia in the condenser prevents the ammonia from returning to the boiler causing complete cessation of the boiler function. When the boiler function stops overheating of the boiler follows.
Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Fridge

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Thx. So if we level the rv the refrigerator should then start to function normally? I have unloaded through total freezer and fridge as my husband is going to some railway thing in Colorado for the day. If I turn it off, will that hurt it? Thank you so much for the info. You are a life saver
Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdhousel View Post
Thx. So if we level the rv the refrigerator should then start to function normally? I have unloaded through total freezer and fridge as my husband is going to some railway thing in Colorado for the day. If I turn it off, will that hurt it? Thank you so much for the info. You are a life saver
It might but it's also possible that fridge is now damaged which can happen if it's left unleveled for too long. If you can't or don't want to level your RV, turn it off completely.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

I decided to turn the fridge off. If it is damaged, do you know if we will have to take it into a repair shop or is this something that my husband, who is pretty good at mechanical things, could fix?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Thank you to fromma. Me husband got home and he leveled the rv and turned on the fridge. Then this morning when we checked the fridge it is working. BTW, I checked and we have the extended warranty on our policy. If anyone is considering the extended warranty, I highly recommend it as the cooling system of the Dometic fridge is covered.

Tags
forest river, lexington, refrigerator