Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #1

Lightbulb 2010 Rockwood 2604SS Travel Trailer Furniture Issues

My wife has been after me to come up with an alternative to the two swivel rocking chairs that came with our trailer. She is not happy with the tight quarters when the two chairs and the magazine table lamp are set up. You have a hard time being able to move in the chairs either swivel or rocking without hitting either the table or the two side tables built into the rear of the trailer on both sides. See the attached image. My wife wants us to replace the two chairs with one recliner. My concern is how big a recliner to get, and we most likely should get a wall hugger. I also have storage and transpot concerns! If I remember correctly most recliners allow the rear seatback to be removed and if that is the case maybe the recliner can be disassembled and transported like the two chairs presently are, on top of the couch with the included straps. Has anyone out there done or considered the same thing? I am looking for ideas and any guidance you can give us. I sure would like the idea of being able to recline while reading or maybe taking a quick "40". The present setup really doesn't meet our needs. Thanks in advance to any help and ideas you may have!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Closeup Showing Two Chairs Table And Lamp And Rear Windows With Shades.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	4037  
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnarts View Post
My wife has been after me to come up with an alternative to the two swivel rocking chairs that came with our trailer. She is not happy with the tight quarters when the two chairs and the magazine table lamp are set up. You have a hard time being able to move in the chairs either swivel or rocking without hitting either the table or the two side tables built into the rear of the trailer on both sides. See the attached image. My wife wants us to replace the two chairs with one recliner. My concern is how big a recliner to get, and we most likely should get a wall hugger. I also have storage and transpot concerns! If I remember correctly most recliners allow the rear seatback to be removed and if that is the case maybe the recliner can be disassembled and transported like the two chairs presently are, on top of the couch with the included straps. Has anyone out there done or considered the same thing? I am looking for ideas and any guidance you can give us. I sure would like the idea of being able to recline while reading or maybe taking a quick "40". The present setup really doesn't meet our needs. Thanks in advance to any help and ideas you may have!
Well, we have the 8314ss Rockwood (2006) and i understand your issues with the space, what i did was remove the table and placed it in front of the sofa removed both of the chairs and put them in our bedroom in the house then bought a more comforable recliner chair form the furniture store, i use the new chair and my wife parks herself on the sofa, but this is not set in stone!!!!!

In 2006 my camper did not come with a tv but it had a pocket for a 20" in the entertainment center, the distance from the back of the camper was too far to witch a 20" model so i made a mod to the entertainment center and installed a 32" tv, now everyone is happy....This is what we had to do to make space and i knew this when we bought the camper.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #3

I to am interested in this post. We have the Flagstaff version and find the chairs difficult to use as well. I usually sit in the chair closet to the slide and the chair near the door ends up being a catch all as we go in and out. My biggest concern is while traveling and whatever chairs we have being secured. The little lamp table is also a pain. The lamp cord isn't long enough to reach the outlet when in between the chairs. I would love to find an acceptable alternative as well.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
dap

We ordered our 2604SS with a free standing table and chairs.Removed the free standing table and chairs,Slid the couch down to where the table was,put a wallhugger recliner where the couch was and another recliner at the edge of the carpet when the slideout is in,This way neither chair has to be moved.We never use a table anyway.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you could remove the two side tables (doesn't look like they're practical for setting anything on anyways when sitting in the chairs), you should have enough room for two recliners. Get the same model than Rockwood offers as an option. You could also replace the table lamp with a floor lamp as it provides much better lighting. In transit, put the recliners sideways, back to back and put a strap across them using a small d-ring attached to the floor in each corner of the back wall.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floor lamp.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	4038  

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks for all your input. I can only remove one of the side tables as the one closest to the slideout has an electrical outlet for the lamp table. Our lamp table cord was to short as well to reach the outlet (great planning!) so I replaced the cord with one long enough to reach the outlet. I do agree that the chair locations are a good distance from the TV but ours came with a 26" LCD which is barely acceptable in viewing distance from the chairs. As one of you noted we use the chair closest to the door as a catch all as well! I think we really only need one recliner but then again will that cause us to fight for it's use? Still mulling this over. We are still not happy with the setup!
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #7

But if you go to one recliner, where will the catch all be??? LOL
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #8

Red face

Yep....I agree with you. A little tight how its set up. Looked at a Windjammer with the same set up and could see there was going to be an issue, especially since the chairs were by the door.
I thought I'd check out a double recliner love seat type of arrangement, but didn't end up getting the deal I was looking for on the unit so did not buy it.
This one had a 32" TV which was easily viewed sitting in these chairs.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

Just get rid of the lamp table/magazine rack. Problem solved.

Your issue with the larger chairs you've already mentioned. In order to pull in the slide, the chair closest to the slide has to flip on to the couch. If you have one big recliner, you may get lucky enough that it won't interfere with the slide when you pull it all the way to the RH side of the trailer.

Either way, you're going to want to make sure that slide can come in without having to lift that full recliner out of the way. The Chairs in your trailer are made light on purpose, full recliners are very heavy in comparison. Think: 60-80 lbs. That would really suck to have to lift and flip onto the couch everytime you move the trailer. God help you if it ever comes loose on a turn or heavy stop and goes flying off the couch! You want that weight sitting flat and stable on the floor.

We side stepped the whole issue by returning our 2011 26RLS for a 2011 831RBLSS....took a bit of a "bath", but it was worth it to us.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

One thing about the recliner chairs, two weeks after having the camper i had to repair one of them because it broke at the base, i don't know what the weight limit is but i am under 165 lbs. You may want to inspect them. You can buy a small recliner from Gavigans Furniture Store and it has a steel frame under it, it's made like a big boys recliner.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #11

FYI, Just came back from shopping and stop by the furniture store and i toke a pic of this recliner, it is the same one that we have, this is the replacement but not the same color, this comes in 8 different colors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	recliner.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	4047  
Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #12

The set up looks good in pics......just not practical. After a few trips....we removed one of the chairs and the table / lamp / mag rack. looking for a nice foot stool for the remaining chair !

When these type of things are our only concerns.......LIFE IS GOOD !!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags