Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Post 2010 Rockwood Ultra Lite at Shop

Was camping about 2 weeks ago and came across a couple of issues that needed to be fixed so I dropped the trailer off at the dealer.

Here are the issues since owning/taking delivery of trailer in April 2010 and the outcome of each. Maybe you have had similiar issues and can relate.

1) Concertone Radio DVD Internal Hub was humming like you wouldn't believe.
Update: Replaced Under Warranty. Son happy the dvd player is back and
parents happy that the noise is gone.

2) Slide Out Rubber Molding that attatches to bottom lip of Slide and rests
against side of trailer was 1/2 off the slide.
Update: Replaced Under Warranty

3) 19' Awning started to roll up with creases in it and didn't look snug.
Update: Dealer stated that do to large pocket of water being on
fabric that the fabric stretched and roller tube bent 2".
Update: Cost $1,078 to replace fabric and tube and also install new
center support. No Warranty claim here. All Out of Pocket Expense.

4) Front Stone Shield for Window has a crease in upper top that appears to
have been there from factory as other ultra lites have the same crease.
Update: Waiting on word from Rockwood if this will be replaced or not.

5) 3 bubbles in front fiberglass corner near molding. Noticeable when trailering
as driver side mirrors are always pointing at and show imperfections.
Update: Waiting on work from Rockwood on how to fix.

6) Black Tank Rinse Internal Valve in BathRoom had the cap laying on the
floor. Have no idea what it does.
Update: Dealer ordered a new one under warranty.

7) Stripping on door started peel at end.
Update: Replaced under warranty.

So not for sure if these are things that typically occur with trailers but I'm happy that Rockwood is fixing the items under warranty so I'm not complaining. I'm very disappointed in myself about the awning as there was one time I can recall that it rained very hard at night that the water must have built a pocket on the awning causing the stretching and bent tube. Needless to say I will be more mindful and aware of weather conditions next time.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Salem 26TBSS

The awning excuse seems like BS to me. If it can't handle pooled water from rain, why aren't there drain holes in the fabric? What if it rains while you're away from the trailer? While you can raise the awning crooked to avoid this, that is no guarantee that it won't happen again.
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
The awning excuse seems like BS to me. If it can't handle pooled water from rain, why aren't there drain holes in the fabric? What if it rains while you're away from the trailer? While you can raise the awning crooked to avoid this, that is no guarantee that it won't happen again.
Had the same thought. Especially with an automatic awning it should have been setup correctly so that the water would dump by itself. I'd tell that dealer (if it's not too late) that it was their error in not setting up the arm angles and/or roller tension correctly and if it was the unlikely scenario they described it was still their fault.

Also, I can't imagine any way that there could be enough weight on the awning to bend the roller that wouldn't tear the fabric first from where it's attached either to the TT or to the roller itself or even buckle the support arms.

You should definitely contact FR or the awning manufacturer and put in a warranty claim.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
Was camping about 2 weeks ago and came across a couple of issues that needed to be fixed so I dropped the trailer off at the dealer.

Here are the issues since owning/taking delivery of trailer in April 2010 and the outcome of each. Maybe you have had similiar issues and can relate.

1) Concertone Radio DVD Internal Hub was humming like you wouldn't believe.
Update: Replaced Under Warranty. Son happy the dvd player is back and
parents happy that the noise is gone.

2) Slide Out Rubber Molding that attatches to bottom lip of Slide and rests
against side of trailer was 1/2 off the slide.
Update: Replaced Under Warranty

3) 19' Awning started to roll up with creases in it and didn't look snug.
Update: Dealer stated that do to large pocket of water being on
fabric that the fabric stretched and roller tube bent 2".
Update: Cost $1,078 to replace fabric and tube and also install new
center support. No Warranty claim here. All Out of Pocket Expense.

4) Front Stone Shield for Window has a crease in upper top that appears to
have been there from factory as other ultra lites have the same crease.
Update: Waiting on word from Rockwood if this will be replaced or not.

5) 3 bubbles in front fiberglass corner near molding. Noticeable when trailering
as driver side mirrors are always pointing at and show imperfections.
Update: Waiting on work from Rockwood on how to fix.

6) Black Tank Rinse Internal Valve in BathRoom had the cap laying on the
floor. Have no idea what it does.
Update: Dealer ordered a new one under warranty.

7) Stripping on door started peel at end.
Update: Replaced under warranty.

So not for sure if these are things that typically occur with trailers but I'm happy that Rockwood is fixing the items under warranty so I'm not complaining. I'm very disappointed in myself about the awning as there was one time I can recall that it rained very hard at night that the water must have built a pocket on the awning causing the stretching and bent tube. Needless to say I will be more mindful and aware of weather conditions next time.
Sorry to hear about your problems.
As far as the concertone problems, get used to them.
Concertone is total junk.
I have had two different trailers with them in it and had problems with both.
There are many many threads on this site about Concertone and their quality. (or lack of)

The awning issue troubles me.
Do you have the electric awning?
Do you have the tilt feature?
Mine has never rolled up as tight as my manual version did on our old trailer.
I assumed it was becasue of it's length.
I can't image that the weight of a rain puddle would bend the tube.
I could see it tearing the fabric loose from the trailer or bending one of the arms, but to bend the tubing sounds a little odd to me.
Was this your first time to use the awning? If so, maybe it came that way?

I also had a problem with the black tank rinse valve.
When I was hooked up to city water (with out pressure regulator) It would cause it to leak near the anti-syphon valve.
Replace twice under warranty.
I now add the pressure regulator to the city water outlet and then rinse the tank.
It worked better at full pressure but apparently the cheapo valve couldn't handle it.
It still works, it just takes longer.

Keep after them on the other issues.
They should make it right.
Maybe some one else will chime in about the awning.
That really sounds odd to me.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #5

It doesn't suprise me that you could get a significant puddle on your awning because I have had that happen on mine. In my case it was so heavy that I couldn't roll it in without pushing up on the awning to remove water. However, I am with some of the others who say the seam should have torn before the roller would get bent.

I can't come up with a different theory about how the roller could get bent, but the dealer'as answer seams to be flawed.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #6

I agree with all the others about your awning. It seems it would be fairly obvious if the tube was bent 2" when you rolled the awning in or out. I was told when I bought mine the awning was self dumping. That the rear arm was weaker than the front and would partially colaspe when enough rain gathered. It didn't and I was able to get the adjustable arm from A&E.

About all trailers have problems at first. Keep everything documented just in case the problems persist.

Keep at it and maybe they'll come through for you. Good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #7

I've experienced water pooling many times with no damage to the awning or role tube. I believe the dealer is wrong to charge you for repairs.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Where should we go next!

When we had a pop up I had left the awning up with no tilt to it. When it rained hard that night I woke up in the morning to find a huge pool of water in it and the roll bar bent like a V. I don't doubt the weight of the water can do this I'm just suspicious it did not tear it out of it's seam before bending a roll tube that thick.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #9

I agree. It's still at the shop (going on 3 weeks) and hopefully I will get it back before the holiday weekend. Dealer is waiting on Dometic to send another new awning (as the new awning was in worse condition than the stretched one) and the roller tube. Dealer hasn't heard anything regarding the flaws I noted in my early post regarding the front stone shield for window or bubbles in fiberglass. The daily calls to get an update on everything are becoming frustrating as the delaler is at the mercy of the suppliers sending them replacement parts and it seems like its taking forevery. Hopefully everything will be fixed right and we can start to enjoy the trailer again.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems.
As far as the concertone problems, get used to them.
Concertone is total junk.
I have had two different trailers with them in it and had problems with both.
There are many many threads on this site about Concertone and their quality. (or lack of)

...Bill
Hi Bill,

That is true, no question (and I am sorry I was not involved sooner to help you or others with your issues), but it is also true we have and continue to take corrective actions.

Did you read my post in the thread regarding whether or not Concertone was a Berkshire Hathaway company?

I will review again your previous posts regarding your issues so I can see were the fit within my thought process as outlined in the aforementioned email.

Please feel free to give it to me with "both barrels" as your experience can only help me as we chart the course towards the future. Also PLEASE let me know if there is anything Concertone can do even today to assist you.

Best regards,
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Concerning the awning, water pooling can definitely bend the roller tube on a manual awning. A new awning will not tear first. Have seen it more than once. Those tubes are not that strong.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote