Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

2012 Apex 288BHS construction issues

Hello,
I am brand new to the forum and this is my first post. My wife and I purchased a 2012 Apex 288BHS on March 30th. I was going through the sanitizing ritual for the freshwater tank, and was running all the sinks as I was circulating the water/bleach solution through our system. No sooner did I start running the main sink, but water came rushing out of the lower cabinets! My kitchen sink, which is located within the slide out , was separated from the plumbing and the bleach/water ran all thoughout the unit. I quickly surmised that the flexible connection from the slide out had pulled out ( separated) from the rigid side and allowed the water to start flowing. I was able to reconnect the two ends and as a precaution I wire-tied the 2 couplings together. A minor inconvenience, but not unexpected.. part 2 to follow..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

part 2.. As if the drain issues weren't enough, I noticed that the jackknife sofa in the camper was literally coming apart at the frame! The wooden support frame was STAPLED together! The staples have pulled out and the whole frame collapsed! Luckily for me, I happen to be a master carpenter and quickly replaced the shoddy construction with 3/4 inch Oak plywood supports, pocket hole joined and gusseted and reinforced on all sides. The rest of the cabinetry seems solid. Why would Coachmen go so cheap on the only dynamic element of the built in furniture? We had had this unit for ONE WEEK! I am extremely disappointed in the lack of quality . This unit was marketed as a light weight unit, but there is NO excuse for poor construction. I'm considering writing to Forest River.. anyone else have similar issues?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

Wow, sorry about your luck with your new TT. It is a bummer when things break so soon on such a big purchase. We have a brand new Freedom Express ( 2 weeks old) and have not yet tested out the plumbing (still winterized as it can still get cold at night up here).

Having the kitchen on the slide-out was something we tried to avoid because of the fact that plumbing, gas and electrical all have to be made flexible and this to me means potential for failure. Now having said that , it doesn't mean I won't find my plumbing leaking , because as a matter of fact my dealer told me about one of his customers had a leak under his sink during his first trip and since mine was sold winterized, he advised me to go around and make sure fitting are tight prior to de-winterizing.

I also have an issue with my dinette table, when set up for sleeping, the table does not fit into the wrap around seating properly, so it wobbles on 2 corners, just like a wobbly table on uneven floors. It is at the dealer now getting looked at and I'm really curious how they're going to solve that one without either making a new table top, or re doing the seating frame.

I guess ultimately, all TT's will have minor issues, it is just a matter of luck on how serious it is. As for the build quality, I think overall Coachmen builds a very good quality trailer for the price point and I'm sure they would have taken care of the issues you have had.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #4

I have to say, overall, the construction is good, which is what I expect from Coachmen, but to have the only moving element attached to a flimsy stapled structure is unbelievable. The drain issue didn't bother me nearly as much as the cost cutting on the jack knife sofa platform. In our case , at least, I possess the skills to build it right. I think, I may have added a whopping 3 lbs to the overall weight of the unit with my reinforcement effort. I know this much: I could drive this thing off of a cliff and the box may be destroyed, but my sofa will be intact on its re engineered frame. LOL
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #5

Hello Cazii767,

I'm considering a 288bhs or 268bhs apex from coachman... Can you share any photos of what you ran into and how you fixed it? Have you run into issues since?

How does it perform in hot or cold weather?

Any regrets?

I will have a family of 5, so would like a big TT light enough to tow with a 6800 lb towing vehicle. This may fit the bill. What's the weight after your options?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by caziii767 View Post
part 2.. As if the drain issues weren't enough, I noticed that the jackknife sofa in the camper was literally coming apart at the frame! The wooden support frame was STAPLED together! The staples have pulled out and the whole frame collapsed! Luckily for me, I happen to be a master carpenter and quickly replaced the shoddy construction with 3/4 inch Oak plywood supports, pocket hole joined and gusseted and reinforced on all sides. The rest of the cabinetry seems solid. Why would Coachmen go so cheap on the only dynamic element of the built in furniture? We had had this unit for ONE WEEK! I am extremely disappointed in the lack of quality . This unit was marketed as a light weight unit, but there is NO excuse for poor construction. I'm considering writing to Forest River.. anyone else have similar issues?
Unfortunately, staples are the rule, not the exception. Its pathetic really. I've gone trough much of my trailer and reinforced the beds, and the dinette.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobich View Post
I will have a family of 5, so would like a big TT light enough to tow with a 6800 lb towing vehicle. This may fit the bill. What's the weight after your options?

Thanks,
Benjamin
In case you're not up towing numbers and whatnot- you might want to read my page on my blog:
What can I tow?

You'd be amazed at what that family of 5 does to your towing capacity. :-(