Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

2014 forest river microlite 23lb

Hi guys and gals, I was looking at a camper, a forrest river micro lite 23lb, I found on craigslist in elverson pa. Owner claims its been in a barn for over a year. Last state inspection 2016 last tag sticker 2017.Went to look at it seemed nice, went back and looked during the day when he pulled it out of the barn. Prob spent 2 hrs checking it with family. Walked the roof, had him hook it up to a generator (no power water at barn) and tried a/c, microwave, heat tv, ect. Only thing i couldn't try was water system as it is supposedly winterized(hopefully). And he didnt seem to get my hint of running a hose to it. He Seemed pushy to go to get title transfered if I wanted it. During inspection found the bottom of frame I beam has a slight twist where the skid leg protrudes down. It made me nervous. But its my 1st trailer and figured its behind the axel so shouldnt affect alignment and i would just straighten it out best I can. Rest of camper is in great shape from being inside the barn, no oxidation of gel coat ect. So he asked for another 400.00 to show i was serious and I obliged as it was a sunday and title places are closed in PA. Fast forward to wed its been raining for 24hrs heavily, so I drive the 1 1/2 hrs to seal the deal, looked inside the camper all is dry. Decided to look at that twist in rail again. Then it hit me that I read on a post somewhere that trailer floors rot in the corners 1st. So I tap on the underside all along both sides. It has a black plastic sheet covering the wood from the factory. Behind the wheels its solid, but around where the tub is it changed to a softer sound. So I checked the other side under the water heater and it was more solid but a little softer towards the outside wall. So I told him I think there is a problem with the floor and he thought I was crazy. I wanted to cut a little slit in the plastic to see but it wasnt mine. There was a little hole on each side about the size of a ball point pen maybe factory made so water could leak out? Anyway bounced plastic sheet around and some debri came out smeared it in my hand as its still raining heavily, it did not disolve. So its not mud. Stuck a snapon borescope in there and it is dry but I couldnt really make out anything as camera couldnt focus. So I told him I was walking away, and asked for my checks back at which time he said he cashed them. Which he wasnt supposed to as I was going to give him the 11k cash and he would give checks back. Now He wanted to keep the full 500 deposit. I thought 100.00 was fair for his time spent, but in the end he kept 200 and gave me a check for 300.00. So after my long story, I have been in a funk all day. Did I do the right thing by walking away from what I thought was a 11k mistake? Family was upset as they were really looking forward to camping and wife had reserved a spot at jellystone in MD. Does this model have floor issues? I think its the luan sandwich with foam, but buddy says it was probably osb and that the tub is prob leaking at the drain or plumbing fitting since it was dry and had heavy rain for 24 hrs. We really like this model and design, plus my tacoma can pull it safely.

Open to all comments positive and negative
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	199387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4167.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	199388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.jpg