Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #21

While not a ford or chev. I am towing 14k with a gasser. Zero issues, through out the Texas hill country. If I lived in big mountains or full timed I would seriously consider diesel.

I won't mention my opinion on low sulphur diesel and the politicians again as I just end up being deleted by the moderators.

I am very pleased with the gasser.

You're doing your do diligence. My went troll through a local park or two and see if anyone is running your set up.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #22

Ford, GM, Ram, they all are good vehicles. Just personal preference is the difference IMO.
As long as you match the truck to the job, you'll be happy and safer.
I "built" my F250 for my needs then ordered it.
F250 Lariat Crew Cab [with all the creature comforts]
6.75' box, 5th wheel prep pkg.
4x2 [NC in summer, winter in FL, why pay for $3k more for 4x4 I'll never use?]
6.7L diesel 3.55 rear end
Camper Insert pkg. $160 [includes; front & rear spring upgrade, rear stabilizer bar]
Towing 12000# GVW 5th wheel [4000+ lbs. under specs for truck]
To date averages; 70% towing, 10% highway, 15% city:
city mpg 14.0
highway mpg 19.5
towing mpg 12.5
Probably could have done equally well with Ram or GM, just got the best deal from the Ford dealer.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
One thing about the Ford, besides the front end looks, is, and alot of buyers aren't told about is their hidden option. HEATED TAILGATE....it's there so your hands won't get cold when you have to push it off the road.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #24

I agree with AquaMan
Old 03-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #25

To DWebster,

Want argue, when it comes to diesel torque for climbing rocky mountain highways, diesel engine power wins, we've been there. I'm tired of paying $80+ for oil & filter changes, 50 to 80 cents more for diesel fuel. Then theres 2 batteries @ $300+, fuel filters and water separator @ $60 , the highest price air filter @ WM, a $1500 turbo charger, sensors at a ridiculous high prices, and these are do it yourself prices. Oh 4 gal's of antifreeze. I could go on, but I think you get my point. When I bought our diesel, cost of maintenance and fuel wasn't much more, and gas power wouldn't haul the RV we wanted. Now chevy and ford market a gas powered truck that may get the job done. Not as good, but maybe close enough. Throw in the new 6spd trans and it got my attention. I know what my 2004 F250d can do, but it comes at a high operating cost. Looking at the new diesel, that require fuel additive, just drives up the cost of a fill-up. One has to be able to justify the cost or be able to write it off their taxes.

I'll learn from the comments I read from real owners experiences and make a better decision.
Gotta Love this Forum for input. (Good or Bad )
Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #26

we have a 2015 version of the Chevy 4x4 2500hd with same engine and rear end. we've been towing a TT with it since last summer, with absolutely no problems. we are in the process of buying a Surveyor 5th wheel. will have it in our possession this Wednesday, so I can't tell you yet how the 2 will work together. We don't expect problems. we live in West Virginia and travel the mountains when camping. we get an average of -5-10 mpg when hauling depending on grade of slope. but we get anywhere from that to maybe up 11=15 mpg when not towing. we didn't buy it for gas mileage, we bought it to tow what ever we wanted to tow. we are pleased with the truck. our fuel ehre is very expensive for diesel sometimes $1 more per gallon, not to mention the other things needed to keep a diesel running. just can't justify all that cost for our gasoline engine. we use this truck for our transportation. Hubby has an older chevy that he drives for work, gasoline engine . he works contruction and has over 200,000 miles on his. I drive the HD because I don't drive as many miles daily as he does. but it gets driven daily
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #27

I have 2014 2500HD gas w/4.10 rear end. I pull a FW 11,000 # loaded about 4,000 miles a year from WI to FL with no problem. I saved on the cost of the truck 7K and a lot in maintenance.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've had both 6.0 gasser (4:10) and Dmax. The 6.0 was a dog (granted, it was a 2006), but a thirsty dog none the less. I pulled I high profile 7200lb TT, and though it pulled it, it ran almost continuously at 3k or above at 60mph. This was as nerve racking as you can get. After a 3 hr trip, I was done. Sold the truck, bought a Dmax, sold the TT, bought a 14k 5er, and couldn't be happier. Cruise all day around 1700rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #29
Site Team

I have a 09 chevy 2500hd 6.0 w/ 3.73 rear 6spd towing a 8500 lbs. TT most of time at 2200 rpms hwy.
On a trip from Chicago to Mammoth Cave it got anywhere from 7.5 to 11 mpg's
Over all I would say the truck did good on that trip.

We did get lost thanks to bitchen betty (gps) on some back hilly curvy roads in KY. The truck worked very hard pulling the camper up steep grades at 10-25 mph. Yep I was scared it wasn't gonna make it or break, but it did the job. Guess when we seen the horse n carriage I knew we were in for an adventure.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinhwy66 View Post
To DWebster,

Want argue, when it comes to diesel torque for climbing rocky mountain highways, diesel engine power wins, we've been there. I'm tired of paying $80+ for oil & filter changes, 50 to 80 cents more for diesel fuel. Then theres 2 batteries @ $300+, fuel filters and water separator @ $60 , the highest price air filter @ WM, a $1500 turbo charger, sensors at a ridiculous high prices, and these are do it yourself prices. Oh 4 gal's of antifreeze. I could go on, but I think you get my point. When I bought our diesel, cost of maintenance and fuel wasn't much more, and gas power wouldn't haul the RV we wanted. Now chevy and ford market a gas powered truck that may get the job done. Not as good, but maybe close enough. Throw in the new 6spd trans and it got my attention. I know what my 2004 F250d can do, but it comes at a high operating cost. Looking at the new diesel, that require fuel additive, just drives up the cost of a fill-up. One has to be able to justify the cost or be able to write it off their taxes.

I'll learn from the comments I read from real owners experiences and make a better decision.
Gotta Love this Forum for input. (Good or Bad )
my 09 Ford 6.4 needed cetane added to every tank, my 14 duramax does not need it at all. The other additive you are talking about is the def. It is very cheap. If is $12 for 2.5 gals. On my 2014 duramax I add one bottle every 4000-5000 miles. Following my oil life indicator I run almost 7000 miles before needing and oil change and following my fuel filter indicator I run almost 15000 miles between changes. My fuel mileage around town is approx 20 mpg (hand calculated) and approx 12-13mpg towing my fiver. Yes oil changes are more expensive and fuel is more expensive but knowing the crappy fuel mileage gassers get towing and how hard that weight is gonna be on your gas engine, you are looking at more expenses there. I think in the long run the 6.0 towing g that weight vs a newer diesel towing that weight will be a wash on expenses so get the truck that tows it more comfortably..... but that is my wallet, not yours. You do what it is that works best for you.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, gas, towing