Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #41
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
North Carolina. The reason the sticker is on the door is to protect the mfg and it is not a legal document, it is a warning, like the warning tags on mattresses, sleeping pills, etc.
Yup!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #42

The sticker on the door is a government regulation. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pGtQeCqxIiUuDw
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #43

I don't want to argue, just trying to help. Just give dot a call or your insurance agent and ask them. Better to be safe than sorry. By the way, I have hauled rv's for a living for the past 9 years and have been ticketed for being 278 lbs over my gvwr. Anyway, good evening, time for this puppy to hit the sack.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
The sticker on the door is a government regulation. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pGtQeCqxIiUuDw
It might be a govt regulation for the mfgr, but that's all it is. So it the one in your car and when you vacation in a car, you are no doubt overloaded or if you put 5 large adults in it.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #45

Quote:
I don't want to argue, just trying to help. Just give dot a call or your insurance agent and ask them. Better to be safe than sorry. By the way, I have hauled rv's for a living for the past 9 years and have been ticketed for being 278 lbs over my gvwr. Anyway, good evening, time for this puppy to hit the sack.
Hauling RV's for a living is much different, from the laws perspective, than me pulling my camper on vacation. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. Like OC said, if those stickers are law, then every minivan that's had more than a couple passengers is over. Agree with you that folks should be aware of those weights, and it is probably best to stay within, but not the law (at least in my interpretation)
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Hauling RV's for a living is much different, from the laws perspective, than me pulling my camper on vacation. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. Like OC said, if those stickers are law, then every minivan that's had more than a couple passengers is over. Agree with you that folks should be aware of those weights, and it is probably best to stay within, but not the law (at least in my interpretation)
This has been bugging me. I called the dealer that I haul to and asked their views from a retail standpoint. They say that if the tv's GCWR is exceeded the customer must sign a form releasing them from any liability.
The gcwr, of a Silverado 2500 HD is around 22,000. The gvwr is around 9200. This leaves a remaining gvwr for the trailer around 13000. I guess the point I was trying to make is that too many people are concerned about how much their truck can pull power wise opposed to how much it can pull safely. As far as legality goes, I'll stick to my guns, but you can test those waters and let me know how it turns out. I believe that any 3/4 is too small to pull much over 11k.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #47

Quote:
This has been bugging me. I called the dealer that I haul to and asked their views from a retail standpoint. They say that if the tv's GCWR is exceeded the customer must sign a form releasing them from any liability.
The gcwr, of a Silverado 2500 HD is around 22,000. The gvwr is around 9200. This leaves a remaining gvwr for the trailer around 13000. I guess the point I was trying to make is that too many people are concerned about how much their truck can pull power wise opposed to how much it can pull safely. As far as legality goes, I'll stick to my guns, but you can test those waters and let me know how it turns out. I believe that any 3/4 is too small to pull much over 11k.
Tell me what is the difference between for the years 2006 thru 2012 for a 3500HD SRW Dodge/Ram and the 2500HD Dodge Ram truck? I know the difference and you would be shocked if you believe that any 3/4 ton truck is to light of a truck to pull a heavy 5er.

For the state of IL it is the licenses plate tag and the weight class of the tag plus wheels and tires that matters to the DOT. I asked the DMV because I am getting a new 5er and wanted to be clear on the towing requirements for IL. Sent them and e-mail and a secretary of state; police officer called back and we discuss the requirements.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Might I ask what type of scale was used in order to come up with that over weight number?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #49

The difference is a leaf spring. I have 2, 3500 rams. Anyway, I give up. Your right, you can pull anything with a 3/4 ton.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Might I ask what type of scale was used in order to come up with that over weight number?
Scale was west bound Indiana, I94., mile marker 28. Sorry, I don't know what kind of scale they use.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #51

To the OP, I do not think you would like that combination. It will be underpowered and not feel great.

In Canada the motor vehical act passed in 2001 does regulate exceeding the manufactures ratings. It is managed in the act much like speeding, you go x over you lose points and can go to losing licence and heavy fines. In Nova Scotia, much like the speed limits, if your caught more then 30% over it is considered dangerous operation of a motor vehical. Speeding is a much more severe penalty with a law passed a few years back that removes it from dangerous operation to stunting managed under a completely different set of rules.

I know a few police officers and none of them are looking for over loaded RVs. There is a law against it but they more or less look for over loaded pickups with the loads in the bed. It would really need to be obvious to be pulled over!

I have not bought an RV where I have not signed a non liability agreement that dealer keeps in reference to the MV Act of 2001. Basically states I am responsible for the safe operation. Also my insurance, just like speeding, if I am ever declared dangerous operation of a motor vehical my contract with them is void.

The difference in the acts across Canada, different provinces do not appear to have the same definitions of dangerous operation of a motor vehical. The 30% is what Nova Scotia has. One thing that is common, never heard of anyone charged with an RV. I think with threads and such like we have, more people out there with means to voice concerns against it, you will see it policed more someday.

Europe also have very similar rules. No idea about the U.S. Head there in a couple weeks but I am well under my 19000pd tow and 6000pd cargo capacity . I am paying more attention to the commercial non commercial laws and the need to have a health cert after June 1 the same as a truck driver.

Tags
500, gas, towing