Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

2015 Tracer 3200 BHT

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on cold weather conditions regarding the 3200 BHT. I am purchasing one next week and I intend to use it for work across Canada. I am quite willing to modify anything I need to get it comfortable during the winter months. This is also the first trailer I will have bought and will be towing it with a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn with tow package. (5.7L Hemi). My first stop will be in Saskatchewan until next summer.
Supersparky76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #2

I'll take a shot to try to help you... Now, mind you, i'm in Virginia so the "winter months" are just a little bit different.....
Be prepared to use A LOT of propane for the furnace.... suggest getting at least one portable plug in space heater (we have two for really "cool" nights).
We usually camp right up to Thanksgiving time... and we've had nights in the upper 30's, two space heaters going and occasionally the furnace would kick on, but not run for a long time.. and we all would be comfortable..
The furnace will provide some heat to the underbelly... hopefully enough nothing freezes on ya!!
Blankets are your best friend also... keep plenty on hand....
Also... don't forget about the hose line warmer... or purchase a "heated hose"....
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

Thank you for the info. My supply line will be heat traced so that shouldn't be an issue. I will also be "skirting" the trailer with hay bales for the winter which should help keeping the underbelly warm. I'm going to be renting a really big propane tank to take me through the winter as well. I'll keep everyone updated as to any issues I come across.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

I have the Tracer 3150 BHD and will X2 the comment above on the propane. The units are pretty well insulated and hold the heat well, but the funace gulps the propane!
If you have full hookups recommend using the electric on your water heater as much as possible to save LP. (also keep the fridge on AUTO not GAS to conserve.)
We camp into the end of Oct here in Utah where by then the night temps are getting pretty chilly.
We also use the insulation inserts in the vents in the ceiling to help retain heat.
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

U will be in a colder climate but hay bales have always attracted mice or rats in any place I have seen. We use foam insulation for skirting. Wooden stakes to screw in with fender washers and foil (duct) tape to the camper.

Plug or fill any holes around jacks and underbelly.

Use a remote temp sensor in basement and water area to know the temp with going outside and opening doors to let cold in. Good place to put a small heater I use ceramic.
They make a plug in like the heat tape that will turn itself on and off. Can get pic if u need it.

Hard pipe ur sewer hose.

Helps to staple something over the windows to slow down the drafts. Might look at that to around ur slides.

Main thing is to stop outside airflow and keep extra propane tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

I will definitely do that. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

U can PM me if u have questions. I work makes to stay in the north. PA, WV, MI etc.

Depends on how often u moved on other options. It's not the funniest but can be a lot cheaper than motels.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

You will need to stock up on mouse and rat traps if you are using hay bales for skirting.
If you can park on top of some plastic visqueen (couple of layers) or a heavy tarp, think radon protection.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410918397.193411.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	758.5 KB
ID:	62934

This is the thermostat plug in I was referring too.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #10

Perfect. Thank you for your help