Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Angry 2016 Flagstaff 8228IKSW Problem

Hope you can make some suggestions to help solve a messy ugly situation with my 2016 Flagstaff 8228 IKWS. On August 29th, I picked up the 5vr from a dealer in Walcott Iowa and I headed east for events in Michigan and Virginia. Im not a newbie. I traded in another Forester RV, a 2008 Puma so I have some experience.
When other bathroom options are available, we tend to use them. But when we used the RV toilette, We noticed that our toilette plugged almost immediately. The black tank was working fine but it seemed like there was some obstruction. I was able to clear the obstruction with a plumbers tape, bailing tools and a hardy disposition. Problem is, the plugging problem keeps reoccurring. If I filled the bowl with water, flush I could hear water glug glug and see the water Ievel slowly decline. I discussed with the service manager of the dealership who sold me the unit and they advised me that they had seen this problem before. When Forester installed the black tank, the 4 outflow was to long ending a couple inches from the bottom of the black tank. With no room to escape, the crap backs up into a 4 inch by 5 foot column of deplorable sewage.
The mechanic advised me that if I returned to Walcott Iowa, they could unseal the 4 outflow, cut the pipe, remove a section, re-glue and re-seal and my problems would be over. But Walcott is 1000 miles away and I am getting sick and tired of dealing with the sewage. I need to get it fixed now,
I have called Forester and I was referred to a voice mail, I told my story, and I have not received a call back. It has been 72 hours. How do I establish dialog with Flagstaff/Forester? This should be covered by my warranty.
I appreciate any advice you can provide to help me remedy the problem.

Joegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Who did you try to contact? Here is the name and phone number for the Flagstaff Classic RV service:
Jake Carter
Phone: 574) 642-8943
Fax: (574) 642-2633
Email: or contact sales:
Doug Fought
Phone: (574) 642-5165
The plant address is: Flagstaff, 201 West Elm Street, Millersburg, IN 46543 Do you mean you have a 8528 IKWS? You refer to Forester, the manufacturer is Forest River, Forester is a Class C RV made by Forest River.
Since you are headed east I may be worth you while to take your RV to the Factory for service. Call them and see if you can get it in to have them remedy the situation. (I don't think they would appreciate a surprise visit) If they can't get to it they can possibly recommend a service shop near them that can get you right in. I know it may not be on your trip agenda but if they can look at it you may have them check any other issues you may have found so far. Trying to get a dealer to look at your situation may be difficult to get an appointment.

2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
Reading your situation makes me wonder if our Class C has a similar black tank problem. We camped in September for 2 nights. The black tank showed full up all 4 lights on the control panel! It's only DH and I, too! We don't put tee pee paper in the toilet so it was just waste, not paper to fill the black tank. Odd.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
I'm sorry you are having problems.
I don't understand who you are looking to for getting this fixed it as immediately as you want it done? You already indicated you are not returning to your selling dealer.

Have you contacted another dealer/repair facility about repairs?

Be prepared to learn that OTHER dealers besides your selling dealer are not required to do warranty work. FR leaves that up to the discretion of the dealers themselves.

FR can make recommendations on whom to take it to but that's about it.
You might find a mobile tech who is able to do the repairs but be sure to get factory authorization first.

Hope you find an amicable solution.
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 42
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
I know the dealer in Walcott. They don't sell MGs. Only Travel trailers.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Saga continues

First thanks boo boo for the information and clarification-most helpful. Contacted Jake Carter. Courteous but advised I need to find dealership who will accept a black tank inspection work order, submit results to Forest River for warranty approval and repair. There's the rub. Virginia dealers advise unable to schedule until mid November!!! Not surprised as I have been advised by 5picker. Currently heading to West Virginia using public facilities. New plan is to head back to Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott where I am comfortable I will get the problem resolved

Joegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote