Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

2017 Forest River Georgetown 31l5 absolute junk

In May of 2017 I purchased a brand new 2017 Georgetown 31l5. Due to my job, we have limited use. We are on our fourth trip, and just like the first three, nothing but problems.
Trip one, both A/C units dripping inside Coach. Trip two, same A/C issue, and water leaking from the roof near driver's window, and by sink. Recieved recall letter on roof issue.
Trip three, our Christmas break, all outlets not working and breaker keeps tripping. More water leaks, and A/C units still dripping unside.
February, brought in to have recall done, and repairs. A/C units not installed correctly. Short in electrical system causing outlets not to work. Recall done on roof. Now I am not the smartest man in the world, but the recall was to install metal stripping down both sides, yes, screwing it into the roof, then run caulking the whole length. Looks awful. Well, after two months in the shop we got it back.
We are now on our fourth camping trip and here we go again. Roof leaking so much, had to put Coach on a tilt so the A/C water would run off.
Have contacted or should I say, tried to contact Forest River, to no avail.
This thing is an absolute piece of junk!
Guess we shall see if they will stand by their product. Will let you all know!
excoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about all the issues. I recommend taking lots of pictures of how it looks, and if you can catch the issues on pic/video, that'd probably help your case. I haven't had the fun of dealing with FR directly, but from what I've read, more pictures the better the results.

Good Luck!
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoppa View Post
In May of 2017 I purchased a brand new 2017 Georgetown 31l5. Due to my job, we have limited use. We are on our fourth trip, and just like the first three, nothing but problems.
Trip one, both A/C units dripping inside Coach. Trip two, same A/C issue, and water leaking from the roof near driver's window, and by sink. Recieved recall letter on roof issue.
Trip three, our Christmas break, all outlets not working and breaker keeps tripping. More water leaks, and A/C units still dripping unside.
February, brought in to have recall done, and repairs. A/C units not installed correctly. Short in electrical system causing outlets not to work. Recall done on roof. Now I am not the smartest man in the world, but the recall was to install metal stripping down both sides, yes, screwing it into the roof, then run caulking the whole length. Looks awful. Well, after two months in the shop we got it back.
We are now on our fourth camping trip and here we go again. Roof leaking so much, had to put Coach on a tilt so the A/C water would run off.
Even if they stand behind the product, it's a disgrace that they let it roll out the door in the first place.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

This happens with all manufactures...

Friends of ours just purchased a 2018 Thor Palazzo (diesel pusher) (sp.). Got it home and one of the slide outs did not work, bad front end alignment, numerous cosmetic issues, air bag issues. A list of 28 issues all together.

Month later, trip 1: Residential fridge did not work.
Month later, trip 2: fridge still does not properly, found numerous exterior leaks along awning. Still waiting for other repairs to be done.

Believe only 15 out of 28 issues fixed.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Director, FROG

Excoppa, I'm not sure whom you've tried to reach at Forest River, but please call the Georgetown Service and Warranty Center at (574) 206-7600 and ask for Bryan Knight, Georgetown's Warranty Manager. You can also reach him at bknight@forestriverinc.com.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

excoppa, I too have a GT 31L5, purchased about the same time you got yours.

x2 on calling Bryan Night. He has helped me with my 4-page list of issues. All have been quickly repaired. Yes, I had a 4-page list of warranty issues. All have been repaired and I love my GT.

Comparing our experiences, let me (politely) say your problems are more with your dealer than with FR. FR stands behind their products and fixes problems.

Two months in the shop? Outrageous.

I had the same recall on the roof. Mine was repaired, but not like yours. No metal strips. My coach looks like it did when I bought it. I have no more leaks.

Suggestion: Work politely with FR. They will do the same back and fix your problems. Let them help you with your dealer problems. An example of this is on my coach, the AC stopped blowing on the driver side. I asked my dealer about this repair and was told that was on the Ford Chassis side. I wrote to FR and asked them which side it was on. They wrote back and said the AC ducting is on the FR side. I took the coach in to my dealer, with the letter, and they fixed it right away under warranty.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #7

2017 Georgetown

I would have to say I had problems with my 2015 Flagstaff. Dealers work was not good at all. All they want to do is SELL no service even if they knew how. Contacted Forrest River and warenty dept was great to work with. All issues were taken care of. They want Happy Campers. Also do like one of the other post said. Take pictures and give a discreption of problems. I'm very pleased with results. Good luck. They will fix you up.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

I have to say FR reps will try to make you happy. The dealer and their so called service dept. suck!!! Once they got you going out the driveway they don't want to fix anything in a timely matter.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Thank you all for your input. I have emailed Forest River, let's see what they will do. I'm not a happy camper though, at all.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #10

Well, just a quick update on my original post. Working with FR, at first they said it was the caulking that was bad, now saying the repair shop put the caulking on sideways instead of front to back, WHAT! I am honestly getting now where. Anymore advise???
Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 PM   #11

excoppa all of us have issue the first year just like all the brands out there.
So you are not alone but it will get better.

Tell us who your dealer is that you bought it from and is that the same folks trying to repair?

We'd like to hear who not to go to in Arkansas
And who have you been writing to?
I would use the name FROG Bob gave you above.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #12

Iggy, I agree whole heartedly with you about the newness of the Coach, and the bugs that go along with it, I am a General Manager at a car dealership so I know that only to well, however, when we do warranty work, we don't change the integrity of the vehicle. In putting caulking on both roof edges, they are restricting any water from getting into the gutters, my main complaint. FR has been decent, but my confusion is, there are great folks on the forum here who had their recall done on their roof, and it wasn't done like mine, and looks like it did when they bought it. Mine looks absolutely horrendous. I can't get a straight answer on what or how the fix was supposed to be done! I was told yesterday by FR that the people that put the caulking on should have spread it front to back, not side to side. I am not a brain surgeon, however, I have used caulking many times and it really doesn't matter how it's laid on the surface. Just real upset as to how things are progressing,
Old 06-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #13

Ours ended up going back to the factory for the roof recall. They moved the seam from the top of the roof to the side. I've posted pictures in other threads.

Agree about the dealer.

Good luck.

Sleepy Badger
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Iggy, I agree whole heartedly with you about the newness of the Coach, and the bugs that go along with it, I am a General Manager at a car dealership so I know that only to well, however, when we do warranty work, we don't change the integrity of the vehicle. In putting caulking on both roof edges, they are restricting any water from getting into the gutters, my main complaint. FR has been decent, but my confusion is, there are great folks on the forum here who had their recall done on their roof, and it wasn't done like mine, and looks like it did when they bought it. Mine looks absolutely horrendous. I can't get a straight answer on what or how the fix was supposed to be done! I was told yesterday by FR that the people that put the caulking on should have spread it front to back, not side to side. I am not a brain surgeon, however, I have used caulking many times and it really doesn't matter how it's laid on the surface. Just real upset as to how things are progressing,
Curious....who is your dealer in Arkansas?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #15

I am in South Carolina. I didn't have it repaired at the Dealer, I went to a FR authorized dealer close to home.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #16

I'm very sorry for the issues you are having. Not all of them have problems. I bought the same model, a Georgetown GT5 31L5 that we bought in March of 2017. Been out 14 times for 43 days and not any problems. Been through thunder storms before and after roof recall repair, one trip had rain for 2 days straight and not one leak.

Had a small drip from the AC but once I saw how dirty the filter was I knew the cause. I clean the filters on each AC every trip. Not a drop since.

I hope Forest River takes care of you and gets all your problems fixed soon. I just wanted you and others to know that not all Georgetown 31L5 are "absolute junk."
dolfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
I am in South Carolina. I didn't have it repaired at the Dealer, I went to a FR authorized dealer close to home.
Hope you aren't dealing with Boat&RV down near Savannah. They are the biggest bunch of lyers, cheats, and thieves I have ever dealt with. You will never get your problems resolved with them

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
The Sistas

Quote:
I too have 2017..315 and had some of same a/c issues. also gen related. love the floor plan. Not so much construction.
The traveling sistas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #19

I have a new '17 GT 31R5, and expect to have plenty of "bugs" to work out. Fingers crossed nothing major! I did find a list of stuff on my orientation/delivery inspection... I patiently await parts to come in.

I must admit my eyebrows raised when my dealership service center said "you are allowed a maximum of 10-items/issues per visit...". uh, ok wow I sure hope I don't have too many visits with more than TEN issues. yikes.

We shall see. Shakedown local trip in the coming month or so...
Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #20

problems with the georgetown

i have a 2012 Georgetown 5 series and i just had my worst problem: the inspector told me that the fiberglass roof becomes craked after about 7 years
it cost me 15M$ for the repair! the fiberglass is 0.3 mm thick and is easily tearable by hand; it has becomed extensively cracked and it leaks water abundantly. there was nothing i could have done to prevent it
the fun of it is that all the forest rivers models come with the same roof.
we phoned at forest river cause it seemed an inevitable problem and they back up their roof for only one year
my conclusion is that as long as you own this peace of junk, you will have more and more problems
samething is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown