Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #1

2018 Ultra V 2618VS Order - Is 2nd A/C Option Important To Get?

My DW and I are close to placing an order for a new 2018 Ultra V 2618VS and we plan to use it to travel to southern warmer/high humidity states as well as to northern states and Canada with milder climates.

We have our list of desired options pretty well nailed down including the 15K BTU A/C upgrade, but we are struggling whether the 2nd roof A/C with heat & 50 amp service is an option we should also include in our order at an added cost of $1015.

Neither of us like being in a too hot/too humid/too stuffy room especially when sleeping, so with that being said what would all of you current Ultra V owners recommend we do as far as ordering the 2nd A/C from the factory?

Also, if we do order the 2nd A/C, does anyone know if it will also be ducted by the factory like the 15K BTU A/C unit is?

Thanks so much in advance for any recommendations.
Dave52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #2

2nd AC is a must to keep your cool.Probably wont be ducted though.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #3

We have a 2017 Ultra V (model 2715VS) with one 15k AC unit. Last week we camped near San Antonio on Canyon Lake. While it got quite warm in the camper during the day, it cooled to 70 at night and we slept comfortably.
DrBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

The 2nd ac on my 2018 2902ws is ducted along with the main ac. Dual zone thermostat. Heat strips work great. Alzo you get the 50amp system. Yes it is worth the extra cost.
RFSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
The 2nd ac on my 2018 2902ws is ducted along with the main ac. Dual zone thermostat. Heat strips work great. Alzo you get the 50amp system. Yes it is worth the extra cost.
Agree. My trailer did not come with the option of ordering with a 2nd a/c or we would have done it and we were limited to getting 30 amp. The 50 amp alone in my opinion would be well worth it. I do have a 15k unit on my '18 grey wolf 26dbh and it keeps up no problems shaded and rather well in full sun on muggy 95 degree days but on those days it rarely shuts off and there is still a comfortable temperature rise inside the trailer. A 2nd a/c would solve that completely.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

Thank you to all who responded with your knowledge and experience. We will include the 2nd A/C & 50 amp service option when we place our order for a 2618VS.

This will be our first RV purchase and we were concerned that the 2nd A/C option with a 15K main A/C was overkill for a 29'-9" trailer.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave52 View Post
Thank you to all who responded with your knowledge and experience. We will include the 2nd A/C & 50 amp service option when we place our order for a 2618VS.

This will be our first RV purchase and we were concerned that the 2nd A/C option with a 15K main A/C was overkill for a 29'-9" trailer.
Yes only a 30' unit But it has (2) Med size slides,this adds to the SF that needs to be Cooled/Heated! Center mounted A/C unit and B/R mounted 2nd A/C you will be able to "Hang Meat"! Youroo!!
Old 07-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #8

Thanks for your post, youroo.

Good point about the 2 slide-outs. Forgot about those adding SF to cool/heat.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #9

Living in Texas, we had a 2nd A/C installed in our 31' camper. The 2nd A/C is not ducted whereas the original A/C is. It is necessary in the daytime if you do not have a shaded campsite and you want your camper cold and not just cool.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #10

Easier and cheaper to get the 2nd AC now than after the fact. We also had the second fantastic fan in the LR put in and use it. Consider the minimal carpet option, makes cleaning easier. If you are going to consider the slide out awnings, let FR do the install, it will save you about a grand over the dealer.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Senior Senior Member

I will be interested in how this decision works out for you. Our unit is very similar if not identical excepting for decals. We upgraded to 15 K air but that's all. Our travels so far have kept us in a mostly temperate climate but sometimes end up camping in the hotter weather.
After seeing the size of the 50 amp service cord, I am glad we stayed with 30 amp. One of the minor complaints we have with our outfit is lack of storage. You are limited pretty much to the area under the bed which is accessed through an outside door in the slide out. That 50 amp cord will use lots of that space up.
BTW you can shut off the ducted air in the front area to direct more cool air to the bedroom if you wanted more flow back there.
As far as heating, the furnace keeps up easily with temps into the 20s. Not sure you'd want to be camping in any colder due to potential freeze up with the plumbing.

In any event welcome to the wonderful world of V's
Old 07-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #12

All great comments, jeff64. Thanks for your feedback.

We did select the "wood look floor" and "no carpet in the bedroom" options as well as slide-out toppers installed by the factory.

Hadn't thought about adding the 2nd Maxxair vent fan in the front end of the trailer, but based on your experience, we'll include that too. The discounted price for it is only about $200, so that would probably be money well spent.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
I will be interested in how this decision works out for you. Our unit is very similar if not identical excepting for decals. We upgraded to 15 K air but that's all. Our travels so far have kept us in a mostly temperate climate but sometimes end up camping in the hotter weather.
After seeing the size of the 50 amp service cord, I am glad we stayed with 30 amp. One of the minor complaints we have with our outfit is lack of storage. You are limited pretty much to the area under the bed which is accessed through an outside door in the slide out. That 50 amp cord will use lots of that space up.
BTW you can shut off the ducted air in the front area to direct more cool air to the bedroom if you wanted more flow back there.
As far as heating, the furnace keeps up easily with temps into the 20s. Not sure you'd want to be camping in any colder due to potential freeze up with the plumbing.

Thanks for your comments. Yes...that 50 amp cord is pretty big, so I'll probably carry it in my truck bed with tonneau cover and lockable tailgate.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #14

Ask if your dealer can switch the BBQ for a either 2 or 3 burner stove(like from a PUP) that hangs on the rail. You'll really be glad you did. My Weber Q connects to the Lp system
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
Retired

Dave52
We travel to the south in spring & fall without a 2nd ac. We do have a Maxxair in the bdrm which improves air circulation in the evening/night. When we need the ac at night we shut the kit/lvrm vents and close the bdrm & bathrm doors... so far this works for us.
We also carry a dehumidifier ... only used it a couple of times.
When we move to a bigger unit (5er) it will have the bdrm ac.
Happy Trails
Old 07-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #16

We have just the 15K single AC on our 2618VS, and have stayed comfortable through 2 Georgia summers. But given that you are ordering yours, and the price, I think I would add it and gain the 50 amp service to boot.

We plan to upgrade to a small Cedar Creek 5th wheel when I retire next year, and will definitely get the 2nd AC for the bedroom.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #17

There will be a few times when we will have some family guests with us who will be sleeping on the trifold sofa and the dinette when camping in some of the state parks here in Indiana, where it can get awfully hot and humid in the summer. So shutting off AC ducts to the living room area would not be a good idea for them.

After reading all of the great advice and comments from everyone so far, my DW and I are sold on ordering the 2nd A/C option. Since our dealer's first price quote so far to place our order is MSRP less 30% with no other dealer fees, that puts the actual cost of the 2nd A/C & 50 amp service option at only $710.50 + sales tax. For us that is cheap insurance to know that whenever and wherever we travel we will always be cool and comfortable.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and great advice.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
After seeing the size of the 50 amp service cord, I am glad we stayed with 30 amp. One of the minor complaints we have with our outfit is lack of storage. You are limited pretty much to the area under the bed which is accessed through an outside door in the slide out. That 50 amp cord will use lots of that space

MorRide makes a cord reel ~~ just screw it down in a storage compartment. It takes up about 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" X 12 1/2". How much space does your 30 amp cord take? I'm betting reeling my 50 amp is easier than whatever you do with your 30 amp.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #19
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
MorRide makes a cord reel ~~ just screw it down in a storage compartment. It takes up about 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" X 12 1/2". How much space does your 30 amp cord take? I'm betting reeling my 50 amp is easier than whatever you do with your 30 amp.
Funny how so many threads end up with some kind of challenge.

Glad you are happy with your setup. BTW I see your rig has loads of storage.

Happy Trails, Capt.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #20

Our S & B is located in the deep Southwestern part of Louisiana, if you vacation or travel to the gulf coast in the summer time, you are going to want two AC units. We added a second one to our fiver this spring, one 15K cannot cool a fiver of any length by its self. We now have two 15K units on a 32 ft. fiver with two slides, both kept the fiver at a reasonable temperature when sitting in hot sunshine.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote