Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #1

2019 winter snowbird trip

Well the day has finally arrived we are both feeling better and heading out in the morning on our way to the Rio Grande Valley. We were going to leave this past weekend but came down with a nasty bug around New Years. which set us back a few days. I did a thread on our trip last year while traveling and hope to do the same this year.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

We enjoyed your travel thread from last year, hope this years is just as interesting.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Thank's for the encouragement Ortep I'll see what I can do.No pictures yet sorry. We left home Tues morning and made our first overnight at Ft. Chiswell RV Park. This was a nice little park with gravel roads and sites. The sites are mostly level. I can see this place being very busy during the summer. This is in Ft. Chiswell Va. We departed on Wed morning for our next destination of Chattanooga Tn.and are staying at Holiday Travel Park. This is also a nice little park and very much like the last place. The people working the office are very nice. We thought about staying here for a couple nights but the weather is still quite cool here so we will move on in the morning with our next stop being Meridian Ms. These destinations are within my limit of 300 miles in a day. We hope to stop in Chattanooga on the way back in the spring when it should be warmer. There are many interesting things to see in the area.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

I would keep moving south until I was out of the nasty, cold, wet weather too. How long to you think you'll be on the road this year?
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Chris and Cecil

Staying in Chattanooga in your way hone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
Thank's for the encouragement Ortep I'll see what I can do.No pictures yet sorry. We left home Tues morning and made our first overnight at Ft. Chiswell RV Park. This was a nice little park with gravel roads and sites. The sites are mostly level. I can see this place being very busy during the summer. This is in Ft. Chiswell Va. We departed on Wed morning for our next destination of Chattanooga Tn.and are staying at Holiday Travel Park. This is also a nice little park and very much like the last place. The people working the office are very nice. We thought about staying here for a couple nights but the weather is still quite cool here so we will move on in the morning with our next stop being Meridian Ms. These destinations are within my limit of 300 miles in a day. We hope to stop in Chattanooga on the way back in the spring when it should be warmer. There are many interesting things to see in the area.

I agree the Chattanooga area is great. We love it there. But going up Lookout mountain and around Signal mountain is a bear even without an rv. If you are coming home thru Alabama on I-59 consider getting off at Gadsden to Centre on 411 and follow 9 to Rome Georgia , then 53 to Calhoun Georgia and get back on I-75 You will come into Tennessee in Cleveland and the KOA there is quite nice. Plus you don’t have the horrible traffic thru Chattanooga. Roads are good and traffic much better; more scenic too. I get tired of interstates.
Alabama Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
We left home Tues morning and made our first overnight at Ft. Chiswell RV Park. This was a nice little park with gravel roads and sites. The sites are mostly level. I can see this place being very busy during the summer. This is in Ft. Chiswell Va.
Safe travels! We stopped at Ft. Chiswell on our first ever RV trip (Maryland to Alabama). Nice place and friendly staff. That was mid-summer and the pool was a welcome find to wash away the grim of a long drive day.

Safe travels, camper70! I look forward to your updates.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #7

We left Chicago area on 12/26 for the Rio Grande Valley, a day earlier than expected due to the storms and high winds going through Arkansas. We're staying in Mission, TX. Temps were cool when we first arrived but have warned up beautifully! Warm temps, palm trees, margaritas, friendly people, and lots of Border Patrol! What could be finer?!
-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

Safe travels! I enjoyed your last travelogue and will travel vicariously with you while well wrapped up by the fire here in snowy northeastern Ontario.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #9

Thanks ALABAMA POTTER i will keep all that in mind the interstates do get to be a drag. I have to say though I-59 from Chattanooga south was pretty quiet today not much southbound traffic . Ependydad I doubt there are many places you have not been to since you have been FT for over 3 years. Where are you these days ?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

Hi again Ortep we are mostly in travel mode right now. We are going to take a day from the road tomorrow and do a little tourist stuff in Meridian Ms. The plan is to get to Mission Tx. on about the 17th of Jan.and we will just be enjoying the warm weather for at least a month.We are going to stay in a couple different areas of Tx. and finishing up in Texas Hill Country. The plan is to head home around April 10.
Hello! 45RPM good to here the weather is good in Mission. This will be our first time in the RGV. Have you been there before ?
Hi! oldsmasma sorry you are stuck in Ontario. We just got out of dodge at the right time where we live. They got a little snow the other day and are suppose to get 2-4 in. this weekend. The hi there today was 27. That is what i'm wanted to get away from. It will be in the low 50's here in Meridian. Maybe I"ll have some pictures to post after tomorrow. Catch you all later.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #11

Hello Camper70!
We've been coming down here for the past 5 years and just LOVE it here! After coming here our 1st year, we couldn't imagine NOT coming back. We stay for 2 months.
Where are you staying?
-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Ependydad I doubt there are many places you have not been to since you have been FT for over 3 years. Where are you these days ?

We are down in Florida for the winter. Believe it or not, fulltime and 3 years and there’s still a ton of country we haven’t hit!

I was just looking at the southern tip of Texas and there were quite a few 55+ parks that I’m sure wouldn’t want my couple of rug rats running around. We’ll get there eventually, though!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #13

45RPM we will be staying at Seven Oaks Resort. I'm loving the temps on the internet. Just what the doctor ordered.
You know Ependydad if you found a warm spot in Florida for the winter that's not bad either. I can't plan far enough ahead to find a spot in Florida so that is why I'm going elsewhere. I made the plans for this Texas trip in late Nov. and could have had my pick of places to stay. There are a lot of 55+ parks but I'm sure you could find something. Although probably not many other kids to hang with.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
You know Ependydad if you found a warm spot in Florida for the winter that's not bad either. I can't plan far enough ahead to find a spot in Florida so that is why I'm going elsewhere. I made the plans for this Texas trip in late Nov. and could have had my pick of places to stay. There are a lot of 55+ parks but I'm sure you could find something. Although probably not many other kids to hang with.

We bounce around in winter and don’t usually plan much further in advance than November or so. Plus, we have to stay places for a week since I work 9-5 most weekdays.

Of course, there are still 2 days in February that I have nowhere to stay!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

Living through you that can be camping......we’re so envious.

Looking out our kitchen window, this is as close to camping as we get today, up here on the North Shores of Lake Ontario where it’s a balmy -10C or 14F

However......I’ve seen no bugs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4943D85-9161-400C-AA8E-6663DCFB2E78.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	194387  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #16

Sorry you can't get out and go but it doesn't look you have any snow yet. My home town got 3-4 inches of snow yesterday. We've been dealing with the low 50's most days but yesterday it got up to 68 in Breaux Bridge La. where we stayed last night at Poche's RV Park. We are in El Campo TX. for the night and will make our final push for Mission Tx. tomorrow. I have some pictures I'll try to post a little later.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #17

We did a small tour of sites in Meridian Ms. yesterday. I will attempt to attach some pictures of Merrehope Mansion and Historic Rose Hill Cemetery.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #18

Carousel horse in downtown Meridianhttp://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=194558&stc=1&d=1547430 675
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7087.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	194558  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #19

Name:	IMG_7088.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	194559 Another picture of Carousel horse
Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #20

The Dentzel Carousel has been in operation since 1909. The horses placed around town are to honor the history of the 2 row stationary Carousel. It was manufactured in 1895. It is a National Historic Landmark.

Tags
snow, winter