Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

26DBH, pre-purchase questions?

Hi all,

We're wondering if it is possible / practical to access the refrigerator with the slide in?

We've looked the model over pretty well, but only with the slide out. I didn't think to check this particular aspect. And our dealer of choice is about 2 hours away.

From the pix, based on how far the L-shaped counter extends, it looks like I should be able to open the inside bathroom door and the refrigerator door enough to do the trick.

Not a show stopper, but seems it would be nice to be able to easily load the fridge. Like while sitting in the market parking lot along the way...

And assuming the refer works well enough when going down the road.

Or should I just plan on throwing a cooler in the tub?
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #2

I own a 26dbh..........at least until I can sell it (looking for a 5er, nothing wrong with it.....).

Refrig can be accessed with slide in. It's a small space but plenty doable.

Refrig works driving down the road, when on gas. Just hit 'auto' and it works on shore power if possible, and gas if not. In our opinion, it doesn't cool quite as well on gas as on electric. Get a refrig fan (about $10) and that helps. Set the thermister "just right".........takes practice. Get a refrigerator temp gauge.......$5.00 at Lowes.

PM me for any info you need.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Oh........another thing you sorta of asked.

The bathroom door is hard to open with slide in. But remember, one NEAT thing about this camper is that you can access the bathroom from the outside!

Remember to make sure the ladder to upper bunk is safely stowed correctly before closing slide.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies, BandJCarm. Yes, the outside door in the WC is why we want this one. Besides, the WC is a little roomier, I think because it is a pass-thru.
We're mostly going to use it on weekends, and store between trips without shore power.

My plan is to load and unload the refer and whatever else doesn't 'live' in the camper, at the storage lot. If I can do that without messing with the slide out, all the better.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

As above everything is accessible with the slides in. We camp with everything closed up all the time at truck stops while enroute to our destinations.

You'll love the TT I think... We do for sure. Perfect for the DW, DD, myself... And the cat...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info.

We actually drove to Cleburne, TX and looked at a Wildwood with a similar floorplan (I think it was the 272BH). While there, we had the salesman run the slide in. We (and the salesman) were surprised at how much room there is with it in.

The Wildwood had some interesting features, but we still feel like the Grey Wolf is the one for us.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Well, we did it.

Went down to the dealer again last weekend, down-payment in hand.

Turns out some lot monkey had swung the TT around without a spotter, and evidently didn't tell the boss he tagged something in the process. I guess I should give him the benefit of doubt. He probably didn't know he hit something...

When we pointed out the creases on the back end of the TT they offered to either get another unit shipped in or 'deeply discount' the damaged one.

Well, my definition of 'deeply discount' is a little different than theirs, but we agreed, after they promised the damage wouldn't affect the warrantee.

Should be picking it up this Saturday, with a campsite booked for the following weekend (March 3-5).

Picks to follow.

Also got a Prodigy P2 and wired it up in the ole steed. Interestingly, the '03 Ram has the electric brake plug under the dash, and the fuse box is populated, but the bumper-end plug isn't there. Only a flat 4-way hiding up underneath. So I bought a 'prewired' plug-n-play cable, but cut the brake wire and butt-spliced it to a wire I ran to the 7-way I installed in the back. I don't see why that won't work, but won't be able to test it until I pick up the camper.

And I'm going to pick up a 1000/10000# WDH this week. Going without the sway control at least for now, but will add that if I feel we need it after a few local trips.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Picking her up tomorrow! Woot Woot!

Like I said, I've got my P2 wired up but untested, my WDH partially assembled, and a list of tools and stuff to take.

Bought a 6' step ladder to use for slide cleaning and campsite stuff. Gonna take it tomorrow so I can easily inspect the roof and top of slide (just in case stealership doesn't have a ladder handy).

Basic tools I'm taking include wiring stuff and multi-meter (in case I need to rewire brake controller or something), socket set, adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, zip ties.

I don't have the 3/4" socket or torque wrench needed to torque the WDH bolts to 260#, but I'm hoping the stealership can do that for me. If not, well, they're nylock nuts, I may just tighten them the best I can, and try to find a mechanic along the way to finish the job. I should probably try to find a socket to take along, though...

Suggestions?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

Great! Happy for you. We picked up the same one - 26DBH. Just waiting for the yard to dry out a but before bringing it home! We're excited also. I have so much stuff in my shed to put in her when she comes home.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Well, she followed us home last Saturday. Guess we'll keep her.

PDI went without drama. Only two issues:
1. I guess when the lot monkey did the afore-mentioned damage, it knocked the rubber plug out of the bumper. They replaced it. Since we don't plan on using the bumper storage I'll probably put a couple screws thru the bumper and into the rubber plugs so we don't lose them. I was thinking about just throwing them in the garage, but the do give a more finished look...

2. The refrigerator door travel latch wouldn't slide. The tech got it to work by holding the refer door handle at just the right angle... I'll look into it later and see if I can figure out what's wrong. Even with the refer door open the lock doesn't want to slide.

Dealer installed and set up the WDH for us, but I'll redo it. Chains are angled (trailer frame brackets aren't in the right position), and I tightened up the chains a link at our first stop. I'll make all the proper measurements when I redo it.

At that first stop during the walk-around I realized the dealer hadn't put the temp license on. I called them, and they ran one out to use while we were eating lunch. That first stop just happed to be at a gas station with a couple fast-food options, so we ate in the camper (slide in) while we waited for the tag.

I read somewhere where someone lost their propane tank cover. I guess like most there wasn't really anything holding ours on except gravity and friction. Before we left the dealership I pulled the cover off and put it in the camper. Then yesterday I drilled a couple small holes in the bottom so I can run a small bungie under the tank supports. May be unnecessary, but gives me one less thing to worry about. My first mod!

We also lost the battery box belt along the way. I put a bungie over it.

We threw all our camping stuff and linens in, and have reservations at Blanco State Park Thursday!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwo View Post
Well, she followed us home last Saturday. Guess we'll keep her.

PDI went without drama. Only two issues:

1. I guess when the lot monkey did the afore-mentioned damage, it knocked the rubber plug out of the bumper. They replaced it. Since we don't plan on using the bumper storage I'll probably put a couple screws thru the bumper and into the rubber plugs so we don't lose them. I was thinking about just throwing them in the garage, but the do give a more finished look...

2. The refrigerator door travel latch wouldn't slide. The tech got it to work by holding the refer door handle at just the right angle... I'll look into it later and see if I can figure out what's wrong. Even with the refer door open the lock doesn't want to slide.

Dealer installed and set up the WDH for us, but I'll redo it. Chains are angled (trailer frame brackets aren't in the right position), and I tightened up the chains a link at our first stop. I'll make all the proper measurements when I redo it.

At that first stop during the walk-around I realized the dealer hadn't put the temp license on. I called them, and they ran one out to use while we were eating lunch. That first stop just happed to be at a gas station with a couple fast-food options, so we ate in the camper (slide in) while we waited for the tag.

I read somewhere where someone lost their propane tank cover. I guess like most there wasn't really anything holding ours on except gravity and friction. Before we left the dealership I pulled the cover off and put it in the camper. Then yesterday I drilled a couple small holes in the bottom so I can run a small bungie under the tank supports. May be unnecessary, but gives me one less thing to worry about. My first mod!

We also lost the battery box belt along the way. I put a bungie over it.

We threw all our camping stuff and linens in, and have reservations at Blanco State Park Thursday!

If you order stuff from Amazon they have that battery box strap. Only $4 and change of course you need to spend $49 now for free shipping. With new camper you should cover that. Bungee cord works but just in case you want the finished look.

Congrats on your new camper and enjoy.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Congrats!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Congrats!
Thanks!

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592