Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #1

Question 3 Brands of Forest River 5th wheel..all the same format..what is the difference????

I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, my wife and myself. I am thinking of upgrading my travel trailer to a 5th wheel. I think the floorplan on the models below is probably best for us. My wife insists on the kids having their own space and their own beds that don't need made up every night. We give some up on overall living space with a bunkroom, but not sure there is any other option.

Anyhow... I am trying to figure out what the differences are in the 3 models below? They all appear to have very similar floorplans. I think I like the "look" of the Blue Ridge the best, but I am in no way set on it. We have one key thing we need...it needs to have enclosed/heated tanks. We camp in the snow at ski areas, so I need it to be able to withstand cold weather. If anyone really knows the key differences between these models it would be greatly appreciated!! Seems like prices vary a lot for what on the surface appear to be very similar rigs. Thanks!

Blue Ridge 3710BH

Cedar Creek 35QB4

Sierra 365SAQ
Biggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Biggy,
Wow those are hefty campers, whats your tow vehicle?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Difference in campers

I too have been looking at these same floorplans. Two more brands to look for are the Sandpiper 365 SAQ and its competition the Open Range 392 Bhs or 399 BHS. All of these campers have the same floorplan. We were die hard on the Open Range 392 BHS but in the last few days have been looking hard at the Sandpiper 365 SAQ. Its fun shopping around for the best deal. We don't winter camp yet so we have till spring to figure out what we want to purchase. The one thing I do know is I wont be bying from my local dealer. Way to pricey.
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

Gonna tow with a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel. I think my 5th wheel capacity is around 18k lbs, so should be fine...will be heavy, but these new Silverado's have some serious towing ability.

Thanks for the other ideas on same floor plan...had not seen them. It is crazy how many floor plans there are that are basically the same. Price difference is enormous between all of them. At the end of the day, the unit I like is almost $10k more than some of the others...trying to justify that difference, but it is hard... Curious why you were set on the open range versus some others?

UPDATE: Looked at the Open Range 399BHS. That is exactly what I am looking for I think. Need to get into one...but the weight is right...able to withstand the cold...and good in terms of Sq Footage!
Biggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #5

Open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
Gonna tow with a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel. I think my 5th wheel capacity is around 18k lbs, so should be fine...will be heavy, but these new Silverado's have some serious towing ability.

Thanks for the other ideas on same floor plan...had not seen them. It is crazy how many floor plans there are that are basically the same. Price difference is enormous between all of them. At the end of the day, the unit I like is almost $10k more than some of the others...trying to justify that difference, but it is hard... Curious why you were set on the open range versus some others?

UPDATE: Looked at the Open Range 399BHS. That is exactly what I am looking for I think. Need to get into one...but the weight is right...able to withstand the cold...and good in terms of Sq Footage!
The 399 open range is going to be about 10 grand more than the 392. The 399 has a fifth slide that is your kitchen and opens up the living room tremendously. We have done our homework on these campers. The open range is an awsome line. Kind of the new kid on the block. We just cant seem to get one within our price range. We have had a good deal on a couple of 2011 left over 392 bhs but they have changed some things that we like on the 2012s. There is a difference in the two models compare them on their website. I am impressed with the sandpiper line up myself. The newer 2012 models have a painted black front and different graphics they look alot better than the older 2012 and 2011 models. I just don't like the cheap mountain scenes or cougars on the solid white campers. Thats another thing i like about the open range is they look like nothing else witht the gray siding. We had one beside us last year in a campground in pigeon forge a 392bhs and the wife fell in love with it. The owners could hardley get anything done for people wanting to take a tour of their camper! there is an forum. www.openrangeowners.com where you can get alot of info also.
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
There should be a optional equipment package on all the Forest River (FR)Lines -- Sandpiper,Cider Creek that adds the Taupe Colored side-walls (Light brown color w/Black accents)...Ask the dealers to check for you! It was a October 2011 option addition to all/most FR 2012 lines. The Blue-Ridge already has the colored side-walls (not White)...not sure if they added the option for the Taupe upgrade. It'll be called the Gold Package-Diamond Package etc.Its an upgrade Option that also adds other little changes besides the side-wall color change.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
JAYCO Representative

Wink Another option to check out: Wildcat 344QB

You might also want to check out the new Wildcat 344QB (which is also available with an outside kitchen option on the door side -- same location as the other floor plans mentioned), which offers an alternative bedroom layout. See the floor plan here:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ries=5thWheels
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel