Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
But, there are adapters made that let a person, in fact, plug a 14 ga or for that matter a 16 ga cord into a 30 amp and or 50 amp outlet. My neighbor in my camp is such a person. His 30a cord will not reach the ped so his anwser is a 14 ga cord. His answer is "It works just fine". Some people don't understand and just don't care as long as it works. That's why adaptors are dangerous.

The 30 A and 20 amp adapter at the same time you speak of no not work with an RV because the PED has a GFI on the 20 amp recp. Either it or the one in the RV will trip. 2 GFI's in series do not play nice. Circuit breakers protect the WIRES. If you make something to defeat that protection bad things can happen.
a 50 A service to an RV has both legs of 120, each feeding one side only in the converter box. Total apperage is 100 A, 50 A on each side. They are not combined to create 240 V as in a residential application.

The pedestal having a 30 A and a 20 A each are on a separate leg.

The two feeds are never in series so the GFIs are not either.

The adapter keeps them separate. It does not work like a single 30 A to 50 A which supplies both sides of the converter with a total of 30 from only one 120 V leg.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
a 50 A service to an RV has both legs of 120, each feeding one side only in the converter box. Total apperage is 100 A, 50 A on each side. They are not combined to create 240 V as in a residential application.

The pedestal having a 30 A and a 20 A each are on a separate leg.

The two feeds are never in series so the GFIs are not either.

The adapter keeps them separate. It does not work like a single 30 A to 50 A which supplies both sides of the converter with a total of 30 from only one 120 V leg.
Correct.

I always like to add (as stated many times before on these forums as well as on all the cheater box manufacturers web pages) If the 20 or 15 amp out of phase outlet is a GFCI, that side providing power to the RV will not work.

It has to do with the shared neutral between the 30 amp and 15/20 amp connections.

A GFCI trips when it senses a current imbalance between the hot leg and neutral leg (which is also called a grounded current conductor).... since that usually is due to current flowing thru something it's not supposed to (sometimes a person). That's a great safety device and how it should function.

When using a cheater box/adapter, then the neutral is shared between the 30 amp and 15/20 amp gfci outlet. This causes a current imbalance on the neutral line vs hot line, thus tripping the GFCI as designed.

If you just have some extra cash laying around, this seems to be the answer:

http://www.jtbmfg.com/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Correct.

I always like to add (as stated many times before on these forums as well as on all the cheater box manufacturers web pages) If the 20 or 15 amp out of phase outlet is a GFCI, that side providing power to the RV will not work.

It has to do with the shared neutral between the 30 amp and 15/20 amp connections.

A GFCI trips when it senses a current imbalance between the hot leg and neutral leg (which is also called a grounded current conductor).... since that usually is due to current flowing thru something it's not supposed to (sometimes a person). That's a great safety device and how it should function.

When using a cheater box/adapter, then the neutral is shared between the 30 amp and 15/20 amp gfci outlet. This causes a current imbalance on the neutral line vs hot line, thus tripping the GFCI as designed.

If you just have some extra cash laying around, this seems to be the answer:

JTB Manufacturing - RV Power Management - JTB Power Solution
Ive just never seen a GFCI receptacle on a pedestal feeding a camper's receptacle. I have seen them as an additional exterior receptacle on the pedestal and it would be a mistake to use that one.

You would not really know which leg you were connecting to without ringing it out first.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Ive just never seen a GFCI receptacle on a pedestal feeding a camper's receptacle. I have seen them as an additional exterior receptacle on the pedestal and it would be a mistake to use that one.

You would not really know which leg you were connecting to without ringing it out first.
The GFCI IS often on the 20 amp outlet, but not on a 30 amp.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
agreed...

and my assumption is that the manufacturer already has built in protection within their 'adapter' to prevent more amps from flowing from a 30amp outlet thru a 15amp line than should be allowed.

are we still having fun yet? YES!
The common adapters (including Y adapters) do NOT provide overload protection.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #46
Happy Camper

I run my FR - 321BHTS unit on my home docking post for house guest off & on all year (when we are not camping) with a dedicated 30 amp service and never had any problems. I am careful to not run both A/C's simultaneously. Never had a problem running everything else at the same time (except for paying the power bill at the end of the month).
Happy Camping!
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote