Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

3rd use broke hot water heater

So I have a 2018 Forest River FSX 197 BH. I used it for the third time this memorial weekend and the board on the hot water heat is shot. It's a Suburban SW6D. When I called my dealer they said that happens within the first year to most campers. What's up? They have been making campers for what's 50 years? Dont have it down yet? Also with temps in the 80's I couldn't keep the camper remotely cool with Windows and screen door open. Granted it wasn't very shady but it was an oven. Lucky I had electric and could run a.c., just worried about boondocking trips in the future.

wabakimi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakimi07 View Post
So I have a 2018 Forest River FSX 197 BH. I used it for the third time this memorial weekend and the board on the hot water heat is shot. It's a Suburban SW6D. When I called my dealer they said that happens within the first year to most campers. What's up? They have been making campers for what's 50 years? Dont have it down yet? Also with temps in the 80's I couldn't keep the camper remotely cool with Windows and screen door open. Granted it wasn't very shady but it was an oven. Lucky I had electric and could run a.c., just worried about boondocking trips in the future.
You need a New Dealer! Now if the Dealer said "This happens every Spring when people try to "Unwinterize" i would agree but Not the 1st year Crap! Youroo!!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
How did you verify this.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
How did you verify this.
X2????

Bruce
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

These water heaters had much trouble with the circuit boards...if thats what is wrong. My memory tells me the issue was fixed some time in 2017. Guess that would depend on when your WH was made. Good luck with your journey.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

The board was not tested because I was camping and the dealer is a long way from me. I went to a camping world near where i was and based on what the heater was doing they said it was the board. I then called my dealer and they said the same thing. It lights only once in awhile and when it does it goes out immediately. It may not be the board but through process of elimination I believe that is the culprit. The tips of the igniter are clean and have correct gap and it's getting propane, the tube is clean. The dealer is allowing me to install the new one and reimburse me for it if it was bad. Around $80 on Amazon. Hopefully they keep their word.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

Anyway new to this forum. Hopefully I pick up some useful information from people more experience than I. Thank you
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Yes, Suburban has had a batch of bad ignition control boards/modules..so that very well could be the problem. We have a lot of threads on these forums about this.

I like to think of myself as a perfectianist...
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Anyway new to this forum. Hopefully I pick up some useful information from people more experience than I. Thank you
Welcome! You came to the right place.

Bruce
Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

it may well be the board, but i do not know how to test it and verify that this is the case. the sw6d does not have an electric heating element so that option is out. before i just blindly replaced the board i would attempt all recommended troubleshooting procedures.

if you replace the board, many posts have recommended replacing with a board made by DINO electronics. i may not have that name correct. this would work for you as the dealer is offering a cash rebate instead of a replacement board.n the DINO support people may have some information on testing the board.

i have to question the statement made that these boards go out within the first year. sure some people experience problems. but how many water heaters do you think are shipped out each year? how many actually have a problem? we are on our 3rd plus year and have never experienced a problem. and how good a job is the dealer doing selling units knowing they will fail within a year? i don't blame the dealer for the problem, but his response seems a bit off.

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater