Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Site Team

4th of July - boy was it hot!!

Like most places it's been very hot here in SoCal. Arrived at the cg around 3pm and started setting up camp. At 3:30pm the power went out in both campgrounds (I'm in the new area). I was happy that I had recently got a power surge protector despite the cost. While I did have a plug in fan running the A/C was off.

One of my campsite neighbor said his buddy lost the A/C unit the day before. It seems that there been several brownouts and blackout here. In the older cg the sewer system was out of service too along with the power blackout. The park closed the restrooms and the water splash area was affected because of the pumps and no power.

Had a good view of the fireworks which seemed to had ended without the big display. About 90 minutes later the fireworks started up again after they got the fire out. During part 2 of the fireworks a fire broke out on the other side of the hill. Once I could see the fire engines lights I felt better about going to bed.

Ok, here is where I'm going to comment upon the noise at bedtime. 11:15 pm and a brunch of young kids were still out riding bikes, screaming and playing loud. Around 11:30pm I heard another campsite say very loudly "Guess we have to listen to this all night". Don't think the parents heard because they were as loud as the kids and were around their trailer about 8 sites down.

Around 9am this morning we got the power back on. My A/C unit really works well. No problem with it cooling off the tt. I am looking at this experience as a pre-start to dry camping

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
ARLO

Hot in NY

It was even hot here in Western New York. We upgraded the A/C when we ordered our Flagstaff 829FKS. Everyone calls it the meat locker because it cools so easily.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Where were you in SoCal? We we're out at Park Moabi (the river at the CA/AZ border) and it was 123.6 in the shade (that's where we keep the digital thermometer).
wrxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

We went camping over the 4th and it was hot here in Texas. 80's at 6am and 103 @ 5pm. I took my thermal temp gun and it was 118 on the dirt . We had a great time even if it was HOT.

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
camping

we stayed in Fort Wayne Indiana with a group at the Johnny Appleseed city park campground. it got up in the high 80's. had a great view of the fireworks from the campground. great bike trails along the river and the zoo was awesome.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxguy View Post
Where were you in SoCal? We we're out at Park Moabi (the river at the CA/AZ border) and it was 123.6 in the shade (that's where we keep the digital thermometer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
We went camping over the 4th and it was hot here in Texas. 80's at 6am and 103 @ 5pm. I took my thermal temp gun and it was 118 on the dirt . We had a great time even if it was HOT.
Ok, compaired to your temperatures I got off easy with 98* inside the trailer. I had the pleasure of setting up in the afternoon sun but was wise enough to put on sun screen. However, the next day I just tried to stay out of the sun but got sunburn anyway. It must had been the reflection off the concrete pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
we stayed in Fort Wayne Indiana with a group at the Johnny Appleseed city park campground. it got up in the high 80's. had a great view of the fireworks from the campground. great bike trails along the river and the zoo was awesome.
Sounds like a good choice - wished I was a bit wiser. The river sounds nice too (love the water!). Next year I will head to the beach or to the mountains where it's cooler.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxguy View Post

Sorry - I forgot to answer your question. I stayed at Cottonwood at Rancho Jurupa in Riverside. This park has two campgrounds and I opted for the newer one. I live in the Inland Empire area.

BTW- How did you not melt in that extreme heat?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #8

Was 98 degrees in Branson, MO last weekend. We only have 1 A/C in the TT, but supplemented with a small window fan blowing across the floor from Walmart. Keeps the cool air stirred up and our doggy appreciates it greatly.
Did more swimming than fishing at Table Rock Lake here, lake water was warm like bath water. Caught a nice breeze on the boat though!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Team

I brought along a tower fan to supplement the A/C too. The next day when the CG power came back on I found I like the combination of using both together and seperate. There are times I wanted the colder A/C and times I rather wanted only the fan like at bedtime.

A boat sounds like fun and the breeze must had been unbeatable. There was a lake at the cg but I don't think swimming was allowed - just fishing.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Anacortesians

The high that day in Anacortes was 74 degrees, with clear skies and a gentle breeze.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #11

It's been hot like that around here for the last month or so. My past experiences camping in 100º plus weather hasn't gone too well. Fishing is slow. The water is warm/hot and can contain bacteria which can make you sick. Even a large lake such as Lake Eufaula can have areas that can become stagnant and contain the bacteria.
We end up spending our time finding the best way to stay cool which doesn't make a fun camping trip. So we usually don't camp mid July thru August.
This year we haven't camped in June as well. Mainly because of the unusual high temps.
Maybe we need to plan our vaction time during this time period where we can travel some place where the temps are cooler.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
It's been hot like that around here for the last month or so. My past experiences camping in 100º plus weather hasn't gone too well. Fishing is slow. The water is warm/hot and can contain bacteria which can make you sick. Even a large lake such as Lake Eufaula can have areas that can become stagnant and contain the bacteria.
We end up spending our time finding the best way to stay cool which doesn't make a fun camping trip. So we usually don't camp mid July thru August.
This year we haven't camped in June as well. Mainly because of the unusual high temps.
Maybe we need to plan our vaction time during this time period where we can travel some place where the temps are cooler.
I have heard from other RVers that summer is too hot to camp but I thought I could manage it. At lease I'changed my mind about heading out to the desert until it gets much cooler.

The older I get the less I like summer. When I was a teenager summer was the best time of the year. Now I like spring and fall much more.

Now Anacortes looks like a good place to camp during warmer months...
F and E DampThe high that day in Anacortes was 74 degrees, with clear skies and a gentle breeze.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
The high that day in Anacortes was 74 degrees, with clear skies and a gentle breeze.
Is that in WA? Looks like a nice place to be...cool.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Anacortesians

Yes, indeed, Terier. We're up in the "top left-hand corner", 20 miles or so west of I-5 at exit 230 and about 50 miles as the crow flies from the Canadian border. My sister, a UK resident, reckons Anacortes is where God comes on vacation.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #15
Site Team

Update

I just received a credit for two nights camping due to extended length of time without power. Good thing I was staying in the new cg area because the other cg (older section) had it even worse. Almost everyone in the park requested some sort of a credit.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #16

We haven't been out since July 4th weekend. Just to hot here. We were supposed to go this weekend with my brother (he has a pop up) but he called it off since he can't take the heat. Next weekend is for sure with 3 nights in the Branson area. The girls want Silver Dollar City and I plan on sitting in Table Rock Lake the whole weekend. Once the girls go back to college we hope to get out a lot this fall when campgrounds tend to be more empty and we can get some choice sites.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote