Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 AM   #1

5 minutes at the campground and in the ER.

Yesterday I backed into our site at Windcreek SP, put the labeing gear down, climbed on the dually to release the king pin and then broke my ankle stepping down from the dually. Not even at the campsite five minutes. Wife ordered a nice tire step while waiting in the ER. At least I get to recover watching the lake and the wife gets a crash course on how to break down camp and pull the fiver home next Sunday.

Be careful out there everyone and if you're camping have a little fun for me.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 AM   #2

I have one of those wheel steps and used it a couple of times. I now have a hard plastic two step, fold up wee ladder that I use to release the handle and I also use it to step up onto the Tgate of my dually. I bought it at a hardware store. Just like this one, I put it in the back of the truck when the tonneau cover is used or on the floor of the back seat when towing. I also use it to reach the fill cap on the aux. fuel tank. I get the strangest looks when people see me towering over the side of the truck, before they realize I'm on a step ladder. Oh yes sorry for your mishap....it's a pain in the......ankle
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Oh wow, that's not a good way to start a camping weekend. What a bummer.

Pray for a quick and painless recovery!!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #4
Wait till next year...

Ouch!! I feel your pain...Broke my right ankle walking the dog, added 5 pins and a plate,fractured the left riding the bike 2 years latter. Good luck with your recovery and rehab, that boot is one PITA
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #5

Dang, dude!

Which ankle? IF left one, you can drive!! LOL

P.S.
Reminds me of sitting in a cold deer stand for days on end one year with a broken ankle and foot in a cast, and toes sticking out!!! Miserable....hard to climb that ladder, cold once I got there, and sure was hard tracking a deer! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Team

That sucks!
Wife broke her ankle on a trail in Big South Fork several years back.
We were about 1/3 mile from the truck.
I had to carry her piggy back to the truck!
Donno if I could do that today....
She was a trooper tho.
A pin and 3 screws later she has no lasting effects. We hike and bike and
she says it doesn't work for forecasting the weather! We use my hip for that!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #7

Sorry to hear that! I hope you heal quickly and have an uneventful rest of your stay. One good thing, you're camping. It is better than sitting home with the messed up ankle!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Don't feel bad. Our very first trip ever 6 years ago, hubby threw the electrical cord under the back bumper from the side, reached under the back to grab it and proceeded to cut his wrist on the sharp edge of the diamond plate on the bumper. Came close to cutting the artery. All I could get to was the toilet paper as we hadn't put a first aid kit together yet. Luckily nurse daughter was on her way to help set up. She bandaged his arm, we ate dinner then he went and got stitches!

And what did you get in a step? We are looking for one too.
dalspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalspot View Post
Don't feel bad. Our very first trip ever 6 years ago, hubby threw the electrical cord under the back bumper from the side, reached under the back to grab it and proceeded to cut his wrist on the sharp edge of the diamond plate on the bumper. Came close to cutting the artery. All I could get to was the toilet paper as we hadn't put a first aid kit together yet. Luckily nurse daughter was on her way to help set up. She bandaged his arm, we ate dinner then he went and got stitches!

Check this one out from Harbor Freight. Light weight, sturdy, easy to set up. We've used ours for over 4 years and it works great for releasing the kingpin, putting DEF in (GM = under the hood filler), and getting up onto the tailgate of the truck. Usually $29.95, but they often put them on sale for $19.95.

https://www.harborfreight.com/step-s...orm-66911.html
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

So sorry to hear about your broken ankle. Boy you guys will do anything to get out of work
Your wife will do great. I love driving our 41' fifth wheel BUT I too need a stool. I'm 4'10 and can't even reach over the back of my husbands 3500 diesel Allison Trans Durimax Silverado. I'll have to put that stool in the back seat so I can reach it when I need
Oh and I'm all for eating before getting stitches
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #11

Feeling your pain

We drove 2200 miles, got half way setup, and DH fell backwards over a rock. Hit his head on another rock, blood everywhere, nice campers called 911 and took care of our dog while we went to the ER. Happy camping for the rest of the trip........

Sometimes life throws in mishaps so we don't have too much fun!
maryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I have one of those wheel steps and used it a couple of times. I now have a hard plastic two step, fold up wee ladder that I use to release the handle and I also use it to step up onto the Tgate of my dually. I bought it at a hardware store. Just like this one, I put it in the back of the truck when the tonneau cover is used or on the floor of the back seat when towing. I also use it to reach the fill cap on the aux. fuel tank. I get the strangest looks when people see me towering over the side of the truck, before they realize I'm on a step ladder. Oh yes sorry for your mishap....it's a pain in the......ankle

I use to use a step ladder like yours. Had it collapse on me twice. Took a couple of bad falls to convince to get something better. I now use a three step metal ladder to hook up and un-hook. I have a Ford with the tailgate step to use when I need to get up in the bed of the truck. Please be careful when using your plastic step stool.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I bought a stool that folds flat at CW and it stays in the truck. Rarely used except to attach/remove the lock on the hitch. Now we have another inside the 5er wifey uses to reach in the upper cabinets.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalspot View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170605-141349.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	140199
This is the one the wife ordered, just wish we thought about this earlier.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly. Not to sound preachy but this is why I am a big believer in having your traveling companion learn to drive your rig and both should know how to set up and take down everything because you never know what can happen.

Agreed! Perhaps you could speak to my wife about it this weekend. She'll drive from rest area to rest area on the interstate, but that's it.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The funny thing is we talked about this on Friday, that she needs to learn to pull the fifth wheel and setup and break down camp in case something happened to me. Shouldn't have opened my mouth.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
X2! My truck sits to high and I'm too old to jump. Get well soon.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Agreed! Perhaps you could speak to my wife about it this weekend. She'll drive from rest area to rest area on the interstate, but that's it.
I will be glad to... I do over 90% of the driving and 100% of the backing while my husband plays navigator, DJ and babysitter to our DD. My DH can back if necessary. I can set up the whole outside, hook the rig up by myself if needed and even went to Mayberry a couple days in advance of DH. DH can drive and alternates with me on long trips, does the set up outside but knows the inside set up/take down as well. If she needs encouragement or driving lessons I'm happy to give them. I taught my DH an am willing to teach others.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #20

My DW doesn't want anything to do with towing she won't even drive my truck when not hooked to trailer. That can be a pain when snowbirding having to take her everywhere.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg