Old 08-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

50/30/30 "y" ?

I was thinking of running my AC from one 30A and the rest of the TT from the other 30A using a 50/30/30 "Y" adapter. This to try to avoid tripping the campground breaker when using the AC in conjunction with the microwave or when the wifey is using her hair dryer on the standard 30A TT cord. Chime in please !!!

Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #2

You don't say what unit you have but I suspect you don't have two separate 30A AC busses in your load center. In that case, its going to be difficult to separate your hardwired A/C circuit from the rest of the circuits because they all terminate in the same load center. But maybe you do have two 30A ports and can run two cords to the pole - I can't tell. But I have only one 30A.

I've never done it with the A/C, only with a space heater because my problem is usually heating, not cooling. What I have done it to install one of these through the side of my slide near the main power connection on the fixed wall. So far, I've not been at a campground that does not have a 30 or 50A socket for the main line and an additional 15A outlet to run to that. If you end up with that as the only option, maybe a portable A/C unit would work.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Dual power cables are done a lot on large boats and are typically 2 -50 a services. They are treated like separate systems with each haveing its own service entrance box,main breaker and panel breakers.One circut will be used for the AC,heat and outlets/lighting,and the other for major appliances like washer.dryer,dish washer,compressor refridgeration and such.The only commonality with them is the earth ground.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

making a little clearer

I can easily access my AC line to remove the feed from the TT breaker/bus. I was going to install a single 20A breaker in a small box to feed the AC from the second 30A plug on the "Y".
Old 08-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #5

If you can easily separate your A/C from the trailer's load center, and its done to code, then it is feasible. The 'Y' just splits the legs of the 50A male connector to two 30A-style female connectors (but there are no breakers so each is theoretically still capable of 50A so be sure you use that breaker).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

I have done a similar idea. I have a second 30A box added for the second AC, a small refrigerator and a portable ice maker. The rest of the trailer runs on the factory 30A system. One cord I plug into the 30A outlet the other into the 50A outlet (with an adapter). The trailer now has two 30A plug ins on the side. Looks like it came that way. I used a two breaker box so that the AC can be on its own breaker.

This will not work everywhere but most campgrounds it works great.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote