Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Solera 2013 24S
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
50 amp vs 30 amp?

Last min reservation this weekend, I was able to get 30 amp site. I have a Georgetown, 50 amp. Will I be able to use all the normal appliances or will I be limited on what I can use at the same time. Advice please....thanks
__________________

__________________
Leismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 11,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leismom View Post
Last min reservation this weekend, I was able to get 30 amp site. I have a Georgetown, 50 amp. Will I be able to use all the normal appliances or will I be limited on what I can use at the same time. Advice please....thanks
They will be all powered via the adapter but you are going to be limited to what you can use at the same time.

Simply put, when using a 120/240 volt 50 amp split phase service, your RV has TWO 50 amp legs powering it, each at 50 amps for a grand total of 100 amps of potential power.

A 30 amp single phase service has ONE leg at 30 amps for a grand total of 30 amps of potential power.

So, when you have to use an adapter and plug into the 30 amp service, you are actually moving from 100 amps of potential power, to 30 amps....and cannot use everything at the same time as you could when plugged into a 50 amp outlet. You need to remember that your power potential has dropped by over two/thirds when using a 30 amp outlet.

This link explains the differences and the last paragraph explains the adapter you are using:


Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,752
You will be somewhat limited, your coach is designed for 50 amps to run all your equipment. What will happen is if you bring on to many appliances you may trip the 30 amp breaker. Make sure you have the 30 to 50 amp adapter before you leave.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 2,830
Run your hot water heater on propane and if you have a RV refrigerator run that on gas. I would say than half of all campers have only 30amps and they get along fine


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
Member
 
kfd82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Madisonville, TX
Posts: 63
I'm still new to all this, but I was told I could run everything except my 2nd air conditioner.

May not be able to run the microwave and a hair dryer and the AC all at once, but you should be able to run everything you need.
__________________
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
I'm still new to all this, but I was told I could run everything except my 2nd air conditioner.

May not be able to run the microwave and a hair dryer and the AC all at once, but you should be able to run everything you need.
In a perfect world, unfortunately most campgrounds do not have perfect nor adequate services for the number of sites they have.

the electrical services per code is NOT required to handle the full load capacity of all the outlets. Most parks will be using all those outlets on a busy weekend, therefore your voltage will be on the low end causing your amperage to be on the high end.

You don't want to use the micro, water heater, a hair dryer and the Air conditioner at the same time. The starting load on the Air conditioner alone will be 20+ amps, water heater - 12 amps, 1000 watt microwave - 9 amps. 1500 watt hair dryer - 12 amps.

Then there is the power inverter that is running all the time that uses a share of the 30 amp capacity.

The only way you will be able to tell what you can run at the same time is by trial and error and most likely will not be the same at every location.

The DW found out the hard way a couple weekends ago. The campground was near capacity. She was running the microwave when the Air conditioner fired up causing our 30 Amp main to trip.

FWI those main breakers in your electrical panel get weaker with each time they trip and after a while will either not trip or trip well below their rated capacity... to low is safe, too high is dangerous and can lead to fires.
__________________
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
fljl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 17
Had same issue, lites, micro and AC would trip a 30 amp. Could have been weak breaker. 50 will do two AC and everything else.
__________________
2015 GMC SLT CC Reese 20K
fljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Benbrook, Tx
Posts: 218
A few weeks ago we went to a campground that only had 30 amps available. We tried it for about an hour. Got fed up with the power shutting down when ever we tried to run a couple of things and one ac just not doing it. We're spoiled with our 50 amp system and running whatever we want.
We ended up packing it in and moving to another campground that was about an hour north. 50 amp and ran whatever we wanted. Just not exactly where we wanted to be. But hey, we were camping right?


The first camp was pretty busy as well and with older looking boxes.
__________________
Dwayne and Susan
Jiro and Phoebe-4 legged family members
Mike and Dana - Traveling buddies
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
A few weeks ago we went to a campground that only had 30 amps available. We tried it for about an hour. Got fed up with the power shutting down when ever we tried to run a couple of things and one ac just not doing it. We're spoiled with our 50 amp system and running whatever we want.
We ended up packing it in and moving to another campground that was about an hour north. 50 amp and ran whatever we wanted. Just not exactly where we wanted to be. But hey, we were camping right?


The first camp was pretty busy as well and with older looking boxes.

We are in the same boat.
Except, no option to move to 50A.

That's why I put in a hybrid inverter.
I can run whatever I want off 30A.
Well worth the cost of the inverter.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!
__________________
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
Some guy in back...
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 191
A hybrid Inverter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
We are in the same boat.
Except, no option to move to 50A.

That's why I put in a hybrid inverter.
I can run whatever I want off 30A.
Well worth the cost of the inverter.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!
Kenny, what is a "hybrid inverter"? What Make & model did you put in?
__________________

__________________
ChateauV10
SF Bay Area
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
50 amp

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.