Old 09-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
5th Wheel 2005 Cardinal LX - Newbie

Hi fellow 5th wheelers. We have finally plunged into the 5th wheel zone as we were truck campers for 6 years. Age and tripping into each other make the decision. We just purchased an "IMMACULATE" 2005 29LX Cardinal that was never used. The Reese 15K slider was part of the deal as I have a 2005 2500 GMC short box Crew Cab with a Duramax diesel.

I have yet to pull I am waiting an appointment to have the hitch installed.
Can anyone tell me the quality of this unit? What may have been the original cost? (Canada) What should I do to protect it for the winter besides the plumbing which I know. The tires are like new but this is a concern with the age. The TV's are antique ..what have others done in electronic up grades. Wife and I are close to retiring and want to practice for a year or 2 to see if this is what we like. We loved our little 9' camper as it was so easy to go anywhere. Now we are in a different situation. ANY SUGGESTIONS/ COMMENTS will be appreciated. Thank you in advance

swando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
No comments about the unit, but welcome!

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
They are very nice and I looked hard at them in February 2012 when I got a new fiver. The issue that I had with the Cardinals was that I felt that they, all models, were to heavy fo my pickup, 2011 F250, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD. I was concerned with the pin and axle weights. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
I have the same model. Bought it new in Texas in Dec. 2004. I have used it plenty and have made numerous repairs and mods. Quality is equal with other 5ers. I guess I like it as I still use it regularly. Will spend a month in it this Jan on the gulf coast.

I have a 20" sony flat screen in the bedroom and a 32" sony flat screen in the living room. FYI for starters, I replaced the 80 lb convention oven/microwave with a standard 20 lb microwave. Also bypassed the messy water filter. Added bedroom a/c and a 4 inch memory mattress on the bed. Repaired blinds till we got sick of them. Replaced with heavy draperies. Turned table so we could get in rv with slides in. Thats enough for starters.
billmac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Welcome fellow 5er from Arkansas.
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
I have a Cardinal, a little bigger and newer but you can expect a quality rig. I would check everything out as I imagine you will have some issues with it sitting for so long. Tires are getting old and you are going to need to replace them sooner rather than later. I would replace the tv's with flat screens-use less power and a lot igniter. Enjoy!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
not sure if you have pulled a 5th wheel or a goose neck trailer or not, but if you havn't your going to have to make wider corners cause the camper won't follow the same path as your pickup, and sometimes turning onto narrow streets will be tough when there is a car in other lane waiting for you best thing to do is find a empty parking lot and practice.

nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, cardinal, newbie, wheel