Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #1

5th Wheel Kingpin Tripod Support

Well I will be picking up my CC 36RE 5th wheel this weekend with the first outing to be Apr 6-10. Wanted to ask some opinions on kingpin tripod supports. Are they needed? Are they a matter of preference for stability or are they more for those who stay inside most of the time and stay in one site for long time?

06 Ram 3500 Mega
09 CC 36RE 5th Wheel
Reese Slider
Reese Pilot Controller
Most Important - Travelling with a good looking woman
Big LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #2

I would say it all depends on the 5'er. Some don't need any extra stabilization at all (very few). Some a kingpin stabilizer works great (my last 5'er). Some you need something more comprehensive such as what our sponser Steady Fast offers.

yeah convoluted but it all just depends on the rig. get it first and find out if you need or want more stabilzation.

Too bad you don't live near the DFW area as I have my old kingpin stabilizer for sale here if you decided you needed one.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

The tripod has its po's and con's. That being said I have one and haved used it for years. It stops most of the side to side movement. Yes its heavy and gets in the way. I have no knowledge of the other type of stablizers i.e. jt strongarm. I am sure someone will let you know about those.

All most more important that the tripod are the wheel chocks. You will need to get two sets (one for each side) the ones the go between the tires and you tighten them adding pressure to the wheels. These will stop most all of the front to back movement.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #4

i have one it works good
HOWEVER, i will add
ITS awkward to take down and set up
ITS FREAKING HEAVY
it does fit well in my aft bed tool box,
i use it primarily when we are at home base and the whole rig is up on blocks.
it does stop/minimize the front end wiggle if your getting jiggy in the shower

and its FREAKING heavy.
if i ever loose it i wont replace it with a steel one.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Knower of Some Things

I keep seeing the phrase "wheel chocks." What are being described are
"wheel locks." The difference is that chocks are just a wedge under the tire. The wheel locks spread out between the tires, off the ground (not on the ground like the FastWay OneStep Locking Wheel Chock), and prevent the wheels from rotating.

The JT Strongarm jacks work VERY well. A little pricey at up to $600, but they are really cool. They semi-permanently attach to the frame and jacks/landing legs. They don't get in the way like a tripod, they are very quick to set up (just turn a few thumb screws after leveling), and IMHO they do a better job stabilizing the front. They also can't get lost or misplaced like detachable wheel chocks/locks/tripods. The 5th wheel kit also includes stabilizers for the rear stabilizer jacks (Yes, a little redundant, but they work very well). Look them up. Speaking as an engineer, they are probably the best stabilizers I've seen thus far. I'm saving up for a set myself. They are starting to come as optional equipment on many FR RVs, such as Wildcat in particular.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Knower of Some Things

To answer the question more directly about needing stability - absoluetly. You can have the best stabilizer jacks in the world, but with all the play and flex in the landing legs, the overhang of the 5th wheel can move almost 4" side to side, even with wheel locks (although the wheel locks do help out some).
At the very least, go with the tripod. Spend the extra $40 and get the one with the screw type adjustment on the top, not the one with just the hokey chain around the 3 legs. Makes it much easier to set up.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 AM   #7

Thanks

I appreciate the info. This thing just keeps getting more and more fun. Wonder if I should go back to my pup tent
Big LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #8

Tripod

We have had a tripod for years and carried it in all of our fivers. We did not have enough movement that really bothered us even with 2 active kids to put up with setting it up on the weekends. If we were there for a week or longer we would use it some. It is a matter of personal preference. It is something you can pick up later if you need it.
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #9

The system I have on my rig is by plugitright and I have documented the install here.

The same install by me is also documented here in a different format.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
The system I have on my rig is by plugitright and I have documented the install here.

The same install by me is also documented here in a different format.

greg
Those are pretty similar to the JT Strongarm Jacks. I guess this one would come down to best price.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #11

I just got a set of front stabilizers from Winfield RV Products. What I liked about these was they require no drilling into the frame. I have an enclosed underbelly and did not want to have to cut or take down any of it. The installation looks rather easy as well.

The next good thing was the price.

I have not installed them yet due to winter making a comeback but hope to have them on soon.

If you search the Open Roads forum you will find many satisfied customers.

2006 2500HD Chevy 6.0 Gas Ext Cab Short Bed
2004 Flagstaff 8528BHSS 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, two daughters and four dogs
dpgllg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #12

I use mine more to keep the rug rats from running in to the king pin.
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel