Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #1

5th Wheel - Travel Trailer - Class A - Class C * How Do You Know? *

Benefits, pros and cons of each type - please discuss in detail if you have the time.

Where does one even begin to decide which is best suited for them when they are a newbie with no point of reference or experience?
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Always Learning

For me (and this is my personal opinion- we all have one) - it came down to floorplans first and foremost. We had very specific requirements for what we wanted in our camper (bunkhouse with at least one slide, outdoor kitchen, u-shaped dinette and being able to get dressed/walk around our bed).

The next decision - I mentally decided (arbitrarily) that if I crossed 30', I wanted to go with a fifth wheel. I'd seen the setups with weight-distributing hitches, sway control, etc. and liked the convenience of a fifth wheel.

I also only have a 4-person family and no pets traveling with us. So, a truck wasn't a problem. I also didn't RV before, so I didn't have a problem with "losing" my truck bed.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

I would love to have your exact set up as that is the model I want. A bedroom with a bunk house would be perfect as I could use the bunk house as a play room for the cats with room to jump from bunk to bunk. My husband would prefer to have a fifth wheel, as would I, I think. The problem is the truck to pull it; we don't have one and that is a big expense.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #4

All in what you want and need. We bought a new Class A (over a year old, but still new) for about the same money as a heavy duty crew cab truck! We found the Georgetown with bunks for the grandkids. It was an easy choose for us.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

we have pulled a 5er for the last 23 years. we now have gone to tt.
i have never pulled a tt before, so for us it was the extra steps on the 5er, my dw broke a bone in ankle last year and was in cast for 14 weeks. so the tt is all on the same level.
5er need a 2500-3500 truck to pull with, you loose the box for storage.
tt- suv or truck
5er have more wind surface
5er have way more head room & storage space.
i think a 5er is better to pull but now that i have a tt i guess i will find out.
what ever you purchase just make sure the floor plan is what you want.
kdcamper
2011 3500 chev cc srw 6.0 l gas
2013 rockwood 8329ss diamond pkge
hopethis helps
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

My decision was based on;
able to separate vehicle from trailer
low profile trailer
1/2 ton truck
truck bed is open for use
light weight trailer
trailer is less than 30 feet
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Hip pocket and no payments on truck, trailer or anything else.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

had 2 tt before the 5er and liked getting them into spots but the room is soooo much better in the 5er, I need more time behind the wheel and backing up into tight spaces. should of bought the 5er in the first place but did not want to give up the bed.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Broken Toe

What worked for me is not recommended for everyone else...

I bought a class A winnebago, sold it after 2 years, bought a coleman pop-up. Camped in it once, sold it (for a $500 profit) and bought the hybrid. Took 3 units before I found the right one for me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #10

We had a 5er once, Thankfully, the repair shop killed it. Worst fights DH and I ever had were related to that monstrosity. Having said that~ Our Class C Jayco was the most wonderful unit to date. It was 28', had a slide out and was a blast to travel in. I could drive it comfortably. Well made unit. The issue there was $ for upkeep, so, sniff sniff, on to the next adventure..... fast forward to today and I love our Roo so far, but it is still new to us. DH is not as comfy as I am so we're working on that.

Having said all that! I say try it before you buy it! Borrow or rent one of each and see what feels right to you for your situation. BH is great for kids and cats ~ and can hold a lot of storage ~ but I wouldn't necessarily want one; The outdoor kitchen is awesome but if you don't cook, it may be better to have storage.

Have fun figuring it out