Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I go up the stairs a lot more than just getting into camper, bathroom, bed, it takes its toll. But I am not getting any younger. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You are right about that.. Good point..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
My bride has bad hips so we got away from the fifthwheel to another motorhome that ate my retirement so now a TT. So far so good. No slides either.
That is a negative of a 5er. More stairs. My DW also has mobility issues so we stay with a heavy, very well built TT. Kind of what you are used to. Quicker lookup with a 5er but I'm retired with nothing but time so who cares? Have been pulling TTs for 35 years and no issues. 100+ nights last year.

2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights +14300KM
2016. 96 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #23

Yes there is more outside storage compartments on a 5th wheel but there is almost no storage available in the truck box. I can fill my box with things.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishele View Post
I was wondering which is better 5th wheel vs travel trailer, for durability , permanent living.?
I'm considering buying a new one.
As you can tell from the responses there are many opinions on what is best. You have to look at your needs, weigh the pros and cons of each type, and decide what will suit your needs best.
My only suggestion is to buy a unit built with high quality materials. There will be bugs with whatever you buy but starting with a high capacity frame and axles combined with quality construction materials will certainly increase the durability and lifespan of the trailer.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
As you can tell from the responses there are many opinions on what is best. You have to look at your needs, weigh the pros and cons of each type, and decide what will suit your needs best.
My only suggestion is to buy a unit built with high quality materials. There will be bugs with whatever you buy but starting with a high capacity frame and axles combined with quality construction materials will certainly increase the durability and lifespan of the trailer.
Agree 100%. There is no right or wrong. It just depends on what style you prefer, what floor plan you like and what you can afford. They all have their pluses and minuses.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #26

As a former owner of a hybrid (liked it) two travel trailers ( they were fine) and now the happy owner of a Sabre triple slide model, I must cast in the affirmative a fifth wheel is the way to go.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #27

I love my fifth wheel Cedar Creek but a travel trailer has good points too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #28

Upgraded to a fifth wheel this year and no looking back. Pretty much the same opinions as the pro-5th wheel comments above. IMO, well worth the extra money and the extra expenditure on a tow vehicle.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #29

My preference is a toy hauler TT. Don't want extra stairs on outside as well as inside the fifth wheel some 5ers have 4 to 5 steps to get into the trailer then 4 to 5 steps to either get into bedroom/bathroom or up to the living room for front living room areas. On my TT I have two steps to get into my TT.

The difference in hookup and unhooking set up is minimal IMO. I connect and disconnect as quick as friend in a 45ft 5er.

The TT has lower profile and shorter and smaller so you are not as restricted when you want to stay at a state park.

It all boils down to how you camp and live in your RV.

Cost is the other consideration for me My current TT was $16590.00 and even a low price 5er say $85000.00 that is a difference of $68,000. That will fund my travels for at lest 3 years.

If you follow the sun when full timing you can do it in a TT

Just My Opinion.
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #30
MCTroy

I pack a lot of things when we travel. I can't imagine trying to fit it in a compartment. Just toss everything in the bed of the TV.
I HATE stairs. If I could have a ramp at the front door of our WJ TT I would be happy but DH said no.
We started hooking up the same time as our 5er neighbor recently. we were done in a few minutes. 25 minutes later he was cussing, had a dent in the top rail of his TV and still not done.
And our seasonal CG won't allow most 5ers because they are too tall and too heavy.
There are good points for both but we will stay with a quality towable even when we go full time in a couple of years.

2016 camping: Lost count, but never enough.
2017 reservations made!
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, wheel