Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I go up the stairs a lot more than just getting into camper, bathroom, bed, it takes its toll. But I am not getting any younger. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You are right about that.. Good point..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
My bride has bad hips so we got away from the fifthwheel to another motorhome that ate my retirement so now a TT. So far so good. No slides either.
That is a negative of a 5er. More stairs. My DW also has mobility issues so we stay with a heavy, very well built TT. Kind of what you are used to. Quicker lookup with a 5er but I'm retired with nothing but time so who cares? Have been pulling TTs for 35 years and no issues. 100+ nights last year.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #23

Yes there is more outside storage compartments on a 5th wheel but there is almost no storage available in the truck box. I can fill my box with things.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishele View Post
I was wondering which is better 5th wheel vs travel trailer, for durability , permanent living.?
I'm considering buying a new one.
As you can tell from the responses there are many opinions on what is best. You have to look at your needs, weigh the pros and cons of each type, and decide what will suit your needs best.
My only suggestion is to buy a unit built with high quality materials. There will be bugs with whatever you buy but starting with a high capacity frame and axles combined with quality construction materials will certainly increase the durability and lifespan of the trailer.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
As you can tell from the responses there are many opinions on what is best. You have to look at your needs, weigh the pros and cons of each type, and decide what will suit your needs best.
My only suggestion is to buy a unit built with high quality materials. There will be bugs with whatever you buy but starting with a high capacity frame and axles combined with quality construction materials will certainly increase the durability and lifespan of the trailer.
Agree 100%. There is no right or wrong. It just depends on what style you prefer, what floor plan you like and what you can afford. They all have their pluses and minuses.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #26

As a former owner of a hybrid (liked it) two travel trailers ( they were fine) and now the happy owner of a Sabre triple slide model, I must cast in the affirmative a fifth wheel is the way to go.
dgeck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #27

I love my fifth wheel Cedar Creek but a travel trailer has good points too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #28

Upgraded to a fifth wheel this year and no looking back. Pretty much the same opinions as the pro-5th wheel comments above. IMO, well worth the extra money and the extra expenditure on a tow vehicle.
FFRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #29

My preference is a toy hauler TT. Don't want extra stairs on outside as well as inside the fifth wheel some 5ers have 4 to 5 steps to get into the trailer then 4 to 5 steps to either get into bedroom/bathroom or up to the living room for front living room areas. On my TT I have two steps to get into my TT.

The difference in hookup and unhooking set up is minimal IMO. I connect and disconnect as quick as friend in a 45ft 5er.

The TT has lower profile and shorter and smaller so you are not as restricted when you want to stay at a state park.

It all boils down to how you camp and live in your RV.

Cost is the other consideration for me My current TT was $16590.00 and even a low price 5er say $85000.00 that is a difference of $68,000. That will fund my travels for at lest 3 years.

If you follow the sun when full timing you can do it in a TT

Just My Opinion.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #30
MCTroy

I pack a lot of things when we travel. I can't imagine trying to fit it in a compartment. Just toss everything in the bed of the TV.
I HATE stairs. If I could have a ramp at the front door of our WJ TT I would be happy but DH said no.
We started hooking up the same time as our 5er neighbor recently. we were done in a few minutes. 25 minutes later he was cussing, had a dent in the top rail of his TV and still not done.
And our seasonal CG won't allow most 5ers because they are too tall and too heavy.
There are good points for both but we will stay with a quality towable even when we go full time in a couple of years.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #31

I'm 68 and broke my back in the 6'60s. 3 steps to get in, same as a quality TT. 2 steps to bed. Full of arthritis in back, knees, right hip, and neck and I can do it. If those few steps become a problem I'll go back to a Class A, never again a TT.
A light 5er will have less sway than even a heavy TT.
A 5er will cost more as they must be built structurally heavier.$85K?????? You can buy a quality 35' 5er and hitch for 1/2 that or less new. A friend just bought a new 2015 left over 5er for $22K plus tax/reg out the door.
There are 5ers that are advertised as 1/2 ton towable but I think it is a stretch unless a Ford EB with max payload option. I'd not tow any TT big enough for spending a lot of time in with one either.
Much easier to maneuver and back a 5er than a TT.
Much more storage under and in a 5er than a TT.
I have owned /pulled many TTs of all lengths, a Class A, and 2 5ers over the past 42 years. I see only 2 reasons for a TT ~~ if it is going on a site and never moved until scrap and if funds were so limited only a used TT was affordable as if enough available for a new TT there is enough for a used (and probably new) 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I pack a lot of things when we travel. I can't imagine trying to fit it in a compartment. Just toss everything in the bed of the TV.
I HATE stairs. If I could have a ramp at the front door of our WJ TT I would be happy but DH said no.
We started hooking up the same time as our 5er neighbor recently. we were done in a few minutes. 25 minutes later he was cussing, had a dent in the top rail of his TV and still not done.
And our seasonal CG won't allow most 5ers because they are too tall and too heavy.
There are good points for both but we will stay with a quality towable even when we go full time in a couple of years.
STAIRS??? Really? I have 3 stairs in to the 5er and 2 stairs into my master bed, main bath hallway.

I carry 5 bundles of firewood, a huge cooler, and my lumberyard for leveling/support in the bed and I'm a shortbed. Guys with the longbed can throw twice what I have back there.

The 5er guy must have been a few ounces short of a pint. Start to finish with your hitch off and mine. I'll beat you by 40 miles and I can stop for for fuel. I'll bet my farm on it.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #33
Retired Retail/Importer

5th Wheel

My wife and I are in our new 5th wheel for 1-2 years...been on the road for two months so far and neither one of us (as far as I know) have talked to a divorce attorney...Bought a FR 360PDEK (Patio Deck/External Kitchen). Check one out. F-250 with air bags and 32 lb. Andersen hitch to pull it...Love it and her three slides and ease of lowering the back deck. We are in Traverse Bay RV Resort in Michigan now...great spot.
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post

The difference in hookup and unhooking set up is minimal IMO. I connect and disconnect as quick as friend in a 45ft 5er.

Cost is the other consideration for me My current TT was $16590.00 and even a low price 5er say $85000.00 that is a difference of $68,000. That will fund my travels for at lest 3 years.

I went shopping for a new camper this year. Ended up coming home with a new 38' TT.

Regarding cost. You must not be comparing similar campers. 5ers are significantly more expensive that TT's, however your $68k delta is completely false.

Regarding hitch-up, there is no way you can hitch-up a TT with WD system in the same time as a 5er. You have more things to hook up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 5er crowd are drama queens about the subject, but they do have some valid points. I like my TT and chose it over a 5er for a variety of reasons... but there are advantages to a 5er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
STAIRS??? Really? I have 3 stairs in to the 5er and 2 stairs into my master bed, main bath hallway.

I carry 5 bundles of firewood, a huge cooler, and my lumberyard for leveling/support in the bed and I'm a shortbed. Guys with the longbed can throw twice what I have back there.

The 5er guy must have been a few ounces short of a pint. Start to finish with your hitch off and mine. I'll beat you by 40 miles and I can stop for for fuel. I'll bet my farm on it.

2015 F250 Crew Cab
Many don't need that lumberyard -- just push a button and the 5er is level. Room for firewood and a 128 qt cooler with the hitch that I never remove.
Push a button and the hitch is where it needs to be before I get in the truck. Watch the pin go in, hear the click, get out add a lock and leave. Glad you are happy with your TT. I had many I was happy with too but at 68 I look for ease of hitching, comfort, and smooth towing. Thanks, but don't want your farm either.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Many don't need that lumberyard -- just push a button and the 5er is level. Room for firewood and a 128 qt cooler with the hitch that I never remove.
Push a button and the hitch is where it needs to be before I get in the truck. Watch the pin go in, hear the click, get out add a lock and leave. Glad you are happy with your TT. I had many I was happy with too but at 68 I look for ease of hitching, comfort, and smooth towing. Thanks, but don't want your farm either.
I think you misread my post. I have a 5th wheel. I've never owned a TT. We went right from tent camping to the 5er after a lot of research. I never pull my hitch either unless absolutely necessary. It sits protected under my Jackrabbit cover when not in use.
I wish I didn't have to carry the lumberyard but mine doesn't auto level. No big deal really but it would be nice to push a button and be level sometimes. The auto leveling system is something I will definitely get on my next 5th wheel once we no longer need a bunkhouse.

PS...Good that you don't want my farm because I was wagering the TT guy not an experienced 5th wheeler. ;-)

2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
I think you misread my post. I have a 5th wheel. I've never owned a TT. We went right from tent camping to the 5er after a lot of research. I never pull my hitch either unless absolutely necessary. It sits protected under my Jackrabbit cover when not in use.
I wish I didn't have to carry the lumberyard but mine doesn't auto level. No big deal really but it would be nice to push a button and be level sometimes. The auto leveling system is something I will definitely get on my next 5th wheel once we no longer need a bunkhouse.

PS...Good that you don't want my farm because I was wagering the TT guy not an experienced 5th wheeler. ;-)

2015 F250 Crew Cab

You are going to really like auto level! Like it even more when you get old. Just never let your battery (the reason I have 2) go dead. The landing gear is easy to ratchet up but unsure of the rear. I started in the early 70s when 5ers were unheard of with a TT. After 2 years of jungle tent camping in the 60s there was no way I'd think a tent was the way to go.
Did the farm thing in the 50s and early 60s and no way to think that is fun either, bless you.

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, wheel