Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

A banana hammock and some soap: The Atlanta RV Show

Well, I just got back from the Atlanta RV show. The place was pretty busy. There were 8 major Georgia dealers there. None of them hassled me. Mostly older folks, the families with kids will likely be out tomorrow.

I did purchase a banana hammock and some soap.

No really, Sweet Wife takes 10 pounds of fruit and such with us on every trip. Lot's of bananas. The "under cabinet fruit and produce hammock" will clear up some space on the counter. And the "RV wash and wax" will dress up the trailer a bit.

Radio looks back

I'm glad I got into RV'ing when I did. Everything is so much more expensive now. And seems to be heavier. Everything is really dolled up and overly fancy or the dealers only brought the fancy stuff. Even 18 ft TT are way too "fancy" for my taste. What I saw was over-budget and over weight (at least for me, anyway) There wasn't anything there that made me want to part with my 2009 Rockwood 8280SS 5th wheel. I bragged when I bought it it would be the only camper I'd ever own and people laughed and said I'd trade it in 3 years. Still got it, still no plans to trade.

Radio crawls out from under a rock and tells you stuff you already know.

Remember I haven't been to an RV show in years.

The dealers pulled out all the stops and had the latest and greatest stuff there. FR was well represented. It seems to me the RV designers/decorators all go to lunch together and plan what next years models will look like. They all seemed pretty uniform.

All the interiors are much darker, all the upholstery is leather/vinyl and either black or brown. I'm old fashioned, if 5 years is old school, I like fabrics and light, neutral colors. Vinyl no doubt wears better. Perhaps if real sunlight had been coming in the windows I would have liked them better. They seemed to have cut back on carpet, which is an excellent idea. Carpet is too much to maintain and we got the minimal carpet back in 2008.

But on the other hand, the new exteriors are great! You don't see plain white campers any more. All the new colors hide dirt. And the RV makers have finally eliminated all the white trim and stuff on the outside of RVs that tend to blacken with mold. HURRAY!! It's all trimmed in black now and most of it looks really, really good.

Bits and pieces

I was hoping to see more of those weird vendors that sell all sorts of stuff. Not too many there. There were flashlights that double as tazers, a "steam iron" that doesn't get hot and the bedsheet lady. Of course they had waterless cookware, but only one booth had it. Those awful roofing and siding people were there. Never figured out why they go to RV shows.

They had seminars and people liked them but I was busy looking at the campers.

I took my own advise and ate before I came.

Campgrounds and State Parks were there giving out brochures and raffling off nights in their parks. That took me back to pre-rv days, the idea of going to all these interesting places, planning trips I would someday take in the RV I would someday own. So I got about 5 pounds of paperwork from all these places.

There was a small selection of RV accessories and supplies. Only one dealer had set up a small store. I had hoped to find a new "next exit" book but did not see one. But I got the banana hammock and the RV wash & wax and that's all I really needed. Prices were cheap on what was there, though.

It was pretty good entertainment. And I got to meet "O'neill" from "O'neill Outside" and got an autographed picture!

Wow!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

It sounds like you had a pretty good time at the RV show. I enjoy going to the shows to see what's new. I also like to sit in a RV for awhile and listen to the people talk to sales the people. It reminds me of the first RV I bought, I didn't know what I was doing and had no clue what I was getting in to.

I could never figure out why there's always a booth at the shows selling roofing and siding for houses. Why would I go to an RV show to buy a new roof for my house?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Team

We enjoy walking around at the rv shows. Looking forward to the Madison and Chicago rv shows in a few weeks. Always find some deal on something there.
One thing for sure is I wont be buying a new rv like the in 2012 and 2013.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

I could never figure out why there's always a booth at the shows selling roofing and siding for houses. Why would I go to an RV show to buy a new roof for my house?
I know ... whats that all about
Well the house does need a new roof

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
We enjoy walking around at the rv shows. Looking forward to the Madison and Chicago rv shows in a few weeks. Always find some deal on something there.
One thing for sure is I wont be buying a new rv like the in 2012 and 2013.
DITTO! That's why my new year's resolution is to stay far far away from RV sales lots and shows!

V-Lite bought 05/13
5th wheel *final* purchase 12/13

The 5er was DH's fault (my story and I'm stickin to it) soooo if he even veers toward a sales lot or RV show I'ma gig 'im with a cattle prod!

There's a boat and RV show goin on right now across the river from us. NO, I don't need to just go and look to see if they have neat accessories either.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #6

DW and I just finished two days of volunteering at the Toronto RV Show. There was so much to see and choose from I don't know how any one makes up their mind, especially first time buyers. We were quite surprised by how many forest river owners didn't know anything about FROG or about FRF so we spent a lot of time telling them about us and how to get in touch with the forum and FROG. I must say Forest River was well represented at the show and I saw some units I didn't even know were made by them. There was also an aisle of provincial parks, private campgrounds, insurance companies and some accessory vendors but I don't recall seeing any roofing or siding companies. Maybe they were all busy at mayor Rob Ford's house. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

We always attend the annual February RV show in Jacksonville, FL...never to buy but to be able to check all the new stuff going on without the hassle of "just looking" at the Dealerships!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

We went to the Tampa show and agree the interiors are to dark for me. We went into a 800'000$ motor home and I thought it should come with a stripper pole. Very gaudy and over done.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

Last Sunday was the last day of the nations biggest RV Show in Quartzsite Arizona.
The needed new toys and equipment. Not really same old stuff as previous years.
The only new thing that caught me eye was a replacement door lock system that was key and wireless from Lippert. Lock assembly that bolts up like your present one.
Came with two key chain FOBs and a wireless push button pad that mounts to the outside of the rig. Show price was $125 which was great but I passed even though my DW thought it was a great idea.
Here is a link for what it looks like.
RV Lock – Keyless Integrated Locking System | Jim and Nancy Beletti

Runs off of 4 AA batteries in the main body.

Actual install video on YouTube.
RV Lock Installation Process - YouTube

Camping World selling RVLock.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...h-remote/63691
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #10

As newbies we sat in the twin recliners in the back of the 5 er we liked for-about an hour at the Toronto rv show. It was excellent to sit there and discuss the rig as couple after couple came through. We just sat there and asked each friendly looking person what they thought of the rig we were all in. Their insights and impressions were very helpful in making our buying decision. And yes we bought that very rig!
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
As newbies we sat in the twin recliners in the back of the 5 er we liked for-about an hour at the Toronto rv show. It was excellent to sit there and discuss the rig as couple after couple came through. We just sat there and asked each friendly looking person what they thought of the rig we were all in. Their insights and impressions were very helpful in making our buying decision. And yes we bought that very rig!
Congrats on the new rig

Zelda the campin dog

Tags
show