Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

A beginners Tale, or, how to mock tenter's while freezing yourself)

Lifelong tent folks, pretty often primitive campers, just took our first trip with our 2017 camper to learn the ropes.

We took our two youngest daughters with us, to a campground that seemed to have good ratings and was within an hour from home for our maiden voyage.
Wanted to be close to home the first time out simply because if it all went down the crapper and the camper didnt work, or we didnt work, then rescue was short distance away.. Cowards? You bet!

The camper we chose, was chosen after nearly 7 months of off and on research. We went through what we Wanted, then What we could afford, only to find out both often exceeded the cargo capacity of our f150 super crew. We backtracked, downsized and settled on a 26' bunkhouse ultralight (5190 pounds) that I feel (and have calculated) is a safe haul for the truck with cargo figured in etc.
However, when pulling for only the second time, one must concede that exiting things can happen. For us, it was 20-30 MPH wind gust while stuck in close, but fast moving traffic. Was a little un nerving, but not overly scary.

Arriving at the campground, we were greeted by sunny skies, a spot in the woods overlooking a great fishing lake and all the campground activities.

Now, I want to stop here for a second, because something strange happened.
Being Tent campers, we generally find secluded spots with the idea of being, to not be on the next campers doorstep. as such, tenters in this group aren't always the most social folks with other like minded folks.
I quickly found out that folks in campers, are much more social and almost immediately we were greeted by surrounding campers etc. Now, I think this was part politeness, and part " are you going t be a crappy neighbor for the weekend" introductions, but nonetheless it was nice.

Oh, On to the Fun! We finish setting up, plug everything in that is supposed to be plugged in. FInd out our sewer hose is too short. If we pull far enough forward to connect we are to close to a tree on the right side for the awning to open. Chose to just put grey and blackwater in the tanks, and then as we leave, retract the awning and pull forward enough to dump right into the connection. BUT
Important Purchase no.1 Extended sewer line, Just in case.

With the electric on we quickly find out the Microwave is out, and all the wall outlets are out. I check all fuses, and breakers all is fine. In short, Im thinking a weekend without charging phones and kids ipods is something im actually looking forward to and as well as all the important stuff is working, Im good.

Well all the important stuff worked fine UNTIL 3 am on our second day when we awoke to extremely cold temps in the camper. (was 37 outside) Furnace wouldnt work, all lights were dim. I went into panic mode.. Breakers were fine, fuses checked out, Propane still mostly full.. Through extra blankets on and decided to check it out in the morning.
What is humorous is that some tent campers at set up on a large field near the lake.. and before Bed I told my wife, hey THIS time we have heat when it gets cold..NOT..(we were still warmer then the tenters im sure!)
Long story short we had been running on battery until it finally died. SUnday morning, I found out that the pole we plugged into was lose, and the outlet was not getting good connection. a little wiggle and everything turned back on and the the started flowing again.
We stuck around for a bit and headed out about lunch time. The trip back was better, I tightened the sway bar down another 1.5 turns, and honestly a couple of times I didn't know the camper was even there. by the time we were home, the battery was mostly charged back up.

so we learned to be better prepared.
1. extra lengths of sewer hose and water line (just in case)
2. Extra blankets in case of cold weather (again just in case!)
3. Slow and steady.. I was comfortable at 60 mph, sometimes 65. I paid attention to tranny temps and kept the truck at a relaxing rpm (love this ecoboost motor)
4. parking to drain makes things easier. I leveled with a slight tilt to the drain side, this worked well for the tanks to drain.
I forgot about the hot water heater until I was home. My park area tilts slightly to the left, the water heater is on the right.. I drained it, but Im guessing because of angle there is still 1/3 of a gallon or so in there I have to figure out how to get out.

The camper (once we figure our mistake) worked flawlessly, the fridge,freezer, lights, hot water heater, stereo, power awning and tongue jack all worked perfectly.

First of many more trips to come hopefully!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Extra sewer line and extra electrical RV cord.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

First, welcome to the RV Lifestyle and congratulations on your new camper!

Allow me, if I may, to make a few comments on your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I found out that the pole we plugged into was lose, and the outlet was not getting good connection. a little wiggle and everything turned back on and the the started flowing again. !
Lucky You! Some folks, when they plug into a pedestal find all sorts of weird electricity (low/high/reverse polarity voltage) that fried $1,000s of $$ of electronics

So, run, don't walk to your computer and order this from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...ive+50+amp+ems

This is a 50 AMP model - if your Camper is 30 AMP, order the less expensive 30AMP one.

Pro Tip: you can buy one that permanently mounts inside your camper - easy to install if you are handy, @ $100 to install at a dealer if not.

PEACE of mind! It would have immediately told you that you were not getting power, or getting too much or too little power. This is the #1 thing new RVers should buy.

Quote:
so we learned to be better prepared.
1. extra lengths of sewer hose and water line (just in case)
2. Extra blankets in case of cold weather (again just in case!)
3. Slow and steady.. I was comfortable at 60 mph, sometimes 65. I paid attention to tranny temps and kept the truck at a relaxing rpm (love this ecoboost motor)
4. parking to drain makes things easier. I leveled with a slight tilt to the drain side, this worked well for the tanks to drain.
Responses by Point:
  1. Not just extra, but BETTER sewer hose! Invest in a RhinoFlex sewer hose - a reasonably inexpensive allternative to more costly setups. Works great for many and believe me brother you do NOT want your sewer hose to fail (don't ask me how I know this )
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39867-R...ords=rhinoflex
  2. Nah...just get the progressive EMS and you are golden - after all you are in a camper now
  3. Yep, right at 60-63 - especially with a EcoBoost (this is the truck we owned when we had a 5th wheel)

BTW, another "should have" is a tire pressure monitor system. Just about the most critical thing is insuring that your trailer tires are inflated to the proper PSI. Running trailer tires underinflated is the #1 reason for tire blowouts.

A lot of the folks on the forum use the TST tire pressure monitors:
    https://www.amazon.com/Truck-System-...ywords=TST+507
  4. Not sure I understand this but ALWAYS park a trailer level (front and back & Side to Side). Why? Your refrigerator will HATE you (and stop working) if you continue to run it without being level.
    Leveling front to back is easy - raise or lower the hitch and use a level to check level.

Side to Side can really flummox a new RV owner - I suggest you invest in these - a no-brainer method of side to side leveling. I never camped in our 5th wheel without them
    https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3604...dersen+leveler

You will need one for each axel, so if you have 2 axels, you will need 2 levelers.

Quote:
I forgot about the hot water heater until I was home. My park area tilts slightly to the left, the water heater is on the right.. I drained it, but Im guessing because of angle there is still 1/3 of a gallon or so in there I have to figure out how to get out.
Unless you are going to winterize it, don't worry. You can keep water in the tank; it won't hurt a thing. Again, though, it is imperative that your camper be level during use.

Quote:
The camper (once we figure our mistake) worked flawlessly, the fridge,freezer, lights, hot water heater, stereo, power awning and tongue jack all worked perfectly.

GREAT to hear! Lots of friendly folks on the forum here. You may want to let people know the make/model of your camper (a lot of us put that info in our signatures) That way folks who own your particular brand of camper can offer insights others may not know about.

Again, welcome to the family!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
Site Team

You are in the same boat that every one here on the forums was in at one time or another. You will learn more and more the more times you use the RV. You'll start packing some things you find you need, and unload things you never use. It just comes with experience.

Reading is your friend. You can learn a lot, just from reading here on the forums... which can save you from having to find out first hand in the field.

I always recommend an electrical tutorial to first time RV'ers, so you can understand the differences between the systems in your RV. The microwave not working is a lot of times key to troubleshooting wherein a 120 volt AC problem lies. You'll get to a point where looking to see if the display on the microwave is lit up, will be part of your setup procedure.

These links by Mark Polk are very good:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

and this one if you possibly have a Suburban water heater in your RV:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

Lucky You! Some folks, when they plug into a pedestal find all sorts of weird electricity (low/high/reverse polarity voltage) that fried $1,000s of $$ of electronics

This is a 50 AMP model - if your Camper is 30 AMP, order the less expensive 30AMP one.

Pro Tip: you can buy one that permanently mounts inside your camper - easy to install if you are handy, @ $100 to install at a dealer if not.

PEACE of mind! It would have immediately told you that you were not getting power, or getting too much or too little power. This is the #1 thing new RVers should buy.

Responses by Point:
  1. Not just extra, but BETTER sewer hose! Invest in a RhinoFlex sewer hose - a reasonably inexpensive allternative to more costly setups. Works great for many and believe me brother you do NOT want your sewer hose to fail (don't ask me how I know this )
  2. Nah...just get the progressive EMS and you are golden - after all you are in a camper now
  3. Yep, right at 60-63 - especially with a EcoBoost (this is the truck we owned when we had a 5th wheel)

BTW, another "should have" is a tire pressure monitor system. Just about the most critical thing is insuring that your trailer tires are inflated to the proper PSI. Running trailer tires underinflated is the #1 reason for tire blowouts.

4. Not sure I understand this but ALWAYS park a trailer level (front and back & Side to Side). Why? Your refrigerator will HATE you (and stop working) if you continue to run it without being level.
    Leveling front to back is easy - raise or lower the hitch and use a level to check level.

Side to Side can really flummox a new RV owner - I suggest you invest in these - a no-brainer method of side to side leveling. I never camped in our 5th wheel without them

You will need one for each axel, so if you have 2 axels, you will need 2 levelers.

Unless you are going to winterize it, don't worry. You can keep water in the tank; it won't hurt a thing. Again, though, it is imperative that your camper be level during use.

GREAT to hear! Lots of friendly folks on the forum here. You may want to let people know the make/model of your camper (a lot of us put that info in our signatures) That way folks who own your particular brand of camper can offer insights others may not know about.

For the TP monitors call the manufacturer direct and save $15 - $20 with a 3 year warranty. Great to deal with.
If close to CW both of the other items were recently on sale for less.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:

Responses by Point:

Do you get a commission for promoting these accessories?
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

hidee ho

ronheater70, great post! Welcome from northern Arizona! Congrats on the new rig!
You are in a similar setup as ours; our 2013 FR Surveyor Sport is a 25' trailer that weighs 5000lb loaded and we tow it with a 1/2 ton Ram1500 hemi. You should tow your rig just fine; you probably have the Ecoboost engine but tow ratings are similar. I too tow at 60 most of the time and it tracks behind our truck like it's not there.
Lots of good info on this forum! Just keep reading and you might want to post your tow vehicle and trailer info in your signature; it would help us help you with questions and yes, we're just nosy.
Happy Camping!!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

Important reason

The OP cites the reason I ALWAYS tell beginners to do their first over night r i g h t t h e r e a t HOME.
If you are hooked up to water and electricity, you can run through ALL your systems except the holding tanks while only a few short steps to the house.
I don't even worry about HOA saying you can't camp in your rig, by the time they notice, you have completed your first 24 hours, and most of your shake-down. It just looks like you are loading up.
Saves a lot of headaches, the phone and tools are right there, and all of that.
As to the sewer hoses, I always buy the two section units from Rhino, and have a plastic box with spare bayonet connections, and elbows. And a new unused hose.
Some homes even have a clean out within reach. For a single night, this is invaluable. You can check function right there.
An alternative is to stay at a RV park in your neighborhood or town. Either way, you are close to home, and Walmart, etc, for putting or taking off things on your check list and vital equipment list. Also, lets you do that cabinet reshuffle for moving things around that you first thought would go "right here" and turns out would be far better "right over there", instead.
Getting the rig weighed is also a good idea, before you traipse over 50 miles from home.
Good luck.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
The OP cites the reason I ALWAYS tell beginners to do their first over night r i g h t t h e r e a t HOME.
If you are hooked up to water and electricity, you can run through ALL your systems except the holding tanks while only a few short steps to the house.
I don't even worry about HOA saying you can't camp in your rig, by the time they notice, you have completed your first 24 hours, and most of your shake-down. It just looks like you are loading up.
Saves a lot of headaches, the phone and tools are right there, and all of that.
As to the sewer hoses, I always buy the two section units from Rhino, and have a plastic box with spare bayonet connections, and elbows. And a new unused hose.
Some homes even have a clean out within reach. For a single night, this is invaluable. You can check function right there.
An alternative is to stay at a RV park in your neighborhood or town. Either way, you are close to home, and Walmart, etc, for putting or taking off things on your check list and vital equipment list. Also, lets you do that cabinet reshuffle for moving things around that you first thought would go "right here" and turns out would be far better "right over there", instead.
Getting the rig weighed is also a good idea, before you traipse over 50 miles from home.
Good luck.
All those systems should be verified during a pdi at the dealership. Other than sewer hose at that location all those he knew was working. My maiden voyage was 760 miles from home, 720 from the dealership 28 days after parking it in storage as we had a vacation planned prior. Possibly most would think a coach problem before post malfunction. Every pdi I've done has taken longer than 2 1/2 hours.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Do you get a commission for promoting these accessories?
Nope, just passing on good info that I learned for the forums - and the RV school of hard knocks.

I DID go easy though - I did not talk about China Bombs and how he should replace his stock tires with Maxxis or Goodyear ASAP
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #11

I'm really glad you're first trip went as well as it did.
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing! You mentioned your neighbors coming over to visit. That's
Very normal. RVers are the friendliest people in the world.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
On the road again...

Great story ... I really enjoyed reading it. Looks like you are ready to get hooked just like the rest of us. FYI, be sure to have lots of toilet paper because it is sometimes hard to find. Enjoy camping!!!
MMMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #13

That's RV toilet paper (as in biodegradable). Best source is the RV section at Walmart. Best price too.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #14

Bamabob nailed it! I have arrived at all his suggestions except the levelers. His are better than my solution BTW.
His second post is VERY valid. The OEM tires are likely: Barely adequate for the load (trailer, gear AND liquids in the various tanks), and simply crap product. We had our first "grenade" at about 3000 miles-change'em ASAP.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #15

Really enjoyed your article and the ensuing posts. One thing more I didn't see or may have missed is if you have an electric water heating element in your water heater, DON'T DRAIN it until you are sure you have it TURNED OFF or you will burn it out. I wasn't sure which way the switch was supposed to go for on or off and called the water heater company. They told me - but, it was exactly the opposite! Being the cautious type, I filled the tank, turned on the breaker (wasn't taking any chances and I knew which way the breaker went) and flipped the switch to what I thought was "on" (of course with propane off). Sure enough, the water got hot, so I then knew the switch position for "on." As a double check, I turned it off and waited a day to see if the water got cold and it did - exactly opposite what the guy at the heater place said it should be. I used a label maker to keep myself reminded of which way the switch should be pressed and am all set. I still throw the breaker during the winter just in case someone turns on the electric without water in the tank. So far, it has worked. Have a great time camping!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Nope, just passing on good info that I learned for the forums - and the RV school of hard knocks.

I DID go easy though - I did not talk about China Bombs and how he should replace his stock tires with Maxxis or Goodyear ASAP
X2 BamaBob, I wasted alot of money when I was a noob, I learned from the experts here to buy the best from the beginning and not have to buy it twice.
None of us here get a promotional fee, kick backs or commission. We've been around the block a couple times, the advise we provide here is free for all to utilize or not.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #17

Amen to that!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
That's RV toilet paper (as in biodegradable). Best source is the RV section at Walmart. Best price too.
Nope, earlier this year, I bought 18 rolls for $0.15 at General RV earlier this year. Yes, it was a special deal they had going to draw people in to buy other stuff...

Well maybe Walmart normally has the best price...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #19

Quote:

First, let me Congratulate you and the family on your new TT.

The first trip out is the most exciting, yet can be the most "head-scratching" with all the new found information you have to retain. We are like little kids with a new toy. The wonders and excitement of figuring everything out, and trying to hold back the sheer excitement, when we know we have done so.

Enjoy! This is just the beginning of many adventures and wonderful family memories.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #20

One thing I learned first time out is that I should have the TT sitting a little bit high on the front.

Why you ask?

So that the rain water will run to the rear end gutter and fall silently to the ground and not drain onto the storage cubby door lock tab and keep me up from 2-4am just hoping the "tap tap tap" would stop :P

My bed is located at the front of my TT FYI.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote