Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #21

I plan on going to Quartzite AR I January from North Carolina. I plan to drop South and pick up I-10. I should be okay. I’m in no hurry
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #22

I’ve found the solution to potential water line freezes....I moved to Florida about 20 years ago. There’s a trade off in the lack of campfires 10 months out of the year though
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #23

I’m chuckling. I’m thinking moving to Florida is a bit drastic for us-I guess we’ll just keep managing our below freezing travel (which do do plenty of it seems) and try to keep lines from freezing up.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I plan on going to Quartzite AR I January from North Carolina. I plan to drop South and pick up I-10. I should be okay. I’m in no hurry
spock123,

Just a note of caution.

Make certain that you're watching the weather as you get to West Texas.... El Paso specifically. Normally there is no problem, but you're going to be climbing a small mountain range and it's been known to snow there.

For teetime,
Before you go.....make certain that you find the campgrounds that are open at that time of year.

As John said, leave your rig winterized and use bottled water. When we encountered freezing weather, it was in March near Dallas. You just never know when you're traveling.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:49 AM   #25

funny this came up

It is 5:30 am and i am waiting for daylight to break camp+winterize our 251RKS for the first time. We are going to FL in mid November but history says Ohio will have some cold nights before then. If the promised rain holds off I can do the job here at the campground. More convenient than the storage lot. I am, I guess, a belt and suspenders guy. I blow the lines and then the pink. Regular routine? We have used the strategies mentioned here for traveling in questionable weather. Rule 1, avoid it. Rule 2, (you know). One thought I did not see here. Snowbirding in the SE you get a few days of freezing unless you can afford the parks south of Orlando. On a couple of nights when forecast is around 25 or so I just blow out the lines (and drain the connecting hose of course). It is a relatively quick process and gives a little more confidence. We have had a Viair portable compressor/pump since we started RVing and I cannot image not having it available.
andy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'll be in Quartzsite in January sometime during the week of the 21st. for a camping club meet & greet.

Quartzite is about 90 miles from home so probably won't be camping.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
spock123,

For teetime,
Before you go.....make certain that you find the campgrounds that are open at that time of year.

As John said, leave your rig winterized and use bottled water. When we encountered freezing weather, it was in March near Dallas. You just never know when you're traveling.
Good advice, we've been traveling this route for several years and have our camping stops, though not in late January...

One of our favorites is the Meteor Crater campground west of Winslow, but I'll need to check with them. Nice people, very nice showers/bath and good stop off point, get a pull thru, don't unhitch, and enjoy the rest.

We've done the route without camping sometimes and had to stay over in Winslow for an extra night because of I40 through Flagstaff was treacherous. I don't want to do that towing!

I've been a weather watcher all my life, working in telecommunications, so we will try to find the best time to roll.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I-40 in AZ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arizonabordercrossing.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	188341   Click image for larger version

Name:	StandingOnTheCorner.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	188342  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #29

I've been following this thread for a couple of days, some good advice and some not so good. Driving in freezing weather is no different, maybe worse, than camping in freezing weather with 60 mph + wind. The only way to avoid disaster is to completely winterize, use jugs and bottled water on the road and use the facilities at campgrounds and truck stops. Depending on the situation de-winterize the system and then winterize again before hitting the road, it only takes 10 - 15 minutes and 1 1/2 jugs of antifreeze. I've done it countless times and for those not having a convenient setup invest in a spare rv water pump and a couple short hoses that stay flexible in colder weather.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy10 View Post
We have had a Viair portable compressor/pump since we started RVing and I cannot image not having it available.
Andy10, what size compressor do you carry with you?
Silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 AM   #31

Compressor

It is a Viair 88. Comes with attachments including a nozzle that mates with the common blow out plug (does not "attach" so it is a 2 person job). The gauge seems accurate and records up to 120# I think but is of course more comfortable in the lower ranges. I have had it for 6 years and has been reliable but do not trust the snap in holders for the attachments. I have found the extension hose to be a help, if not a necessity, on occasion.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #32

If traveling in sub-freezing temps I run the furnace set to 55°F. & open the tank & belly heat duct valve to route forced hot air to the tank area. For our outside shower I added shutoffs & drains. I force compressed air back from the shower to clear water from the plastic parts.
I keep the fresh as full as possible as flowing hydrants may become scarce.
2004 Dodge 3500 SLT 4x2 6.7L, 6spd, DRW,
BrakeSmart controller,
Garmin NUVI 755
SCClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I've run a few times in Wyoming in September/October with the furnace set on 60° for that very reason. Keeps underbelly above freezing.
I've been wondering if it was safe to pull my TT with the heater on.
Dkdickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #34

Just curious, how do you blow out water lines. We are in central fl, but we do get some nights in 20's

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy10 View Post
It is 5:30 am and i am
waiting for daylight to break camp+winterize our 251RKS for the first time. We are going to FL in mid November but history says Ohio will have some cold nights before then. If the promised rain holds off I can do the job here at the campground. More convenient than the storage lot. I am, I guess, a belt and suspenders guy. I blow the lines and then the pink. Regular routine? We have used the strategies mentioned here for traveling in questionable weather. Rule 1, avoid it. Rule 2, (you know). One thought I did not see here. Snowbirding in the SE you get a few days of freezing unless you can afford the parks south of Orlando. On a couple of nights when forecast is around 25 or so I just blow out the lines (and drain the connecting hose of course). It is a relatively quick process and gives a little more confidence. We have had a Viair portable compressor/pump since we started RVing and I cannot image not having it available.
fairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairpilot View Post
Just curious, how do you blow out water lines. We are in central fl, but we do get some nights in 20's
Camco, I believe, and probably others makes a blow-out plug. Walmart might have it but if not any sizable rv dealer or amazon order. It screws into your city water fitting like a hose. My Viair 88 compressor (runs off 12 volt battery, trailer of truck or. . . ) comes with a reduction nozzle that fits into the the blowout plug. It has to be held as it is working. A second person goes through the trailer and opens each valve until water ceases to flow. That includes toilet, shower (indoor and outdoor), sinks and any other faucet you might have. Oh yeah, engage the water tank bypass before you begin. We just did this for the first time on our new 251RKs. When I opened the low point drain there was only about two tablespoons of water in each.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdickerson View Post
I've been wondering if it was safe to pull my TT with the heater on.
I wondered when someone would ask about this. I've done it before. No problem. I'm sure I'll get blasted by the naysayers.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #37

We live in the mountains of NJ (yeah we got ‘em!) and winterize when the weather calls for it. We always take a trip south in mid-February and dry camp on the way until temps are safe to dewinterize. We reverse it on the way home. Earlier this year we left NOLA a day early so we could get home before the first nor’easter that buried us. We arrived home, unhooked, plugged in and the first flake fell!
Total time to winterize, dewinterize and winterize again maybe 30 minutes!

I only ever worry about towing in snow.
Chief Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #38

We full time RV and we stay south of Edmonton, Alberta in the summer. Heading south on Thursday to Cali. We have had record cold weather here for the last 4 weeks. Right now the high is around -3 C ( 26F ) and -6 C ( 20F ) at night. We have just kept the water going at a trickle all the time and so far no frozen pipes. Picture with beer was Sept.23rd the other today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181009_164355.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	188751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_082514_123.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	593.7 KB
ID:	188752  
Old 10-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill32 View Post
While you are parked for the night, with your forced air heater running, most trailers now days have a somewhat sealed underbelly and your water lines are in up inside in the heated areas under the floor. Once you start off for the day on the road, that area under the floor is no longer heated and with 60 + MPH freezing winds passing under the rig, that area will eventually degrade to the outside temperature, along with the water lines therein. I have had this experience, even though my trailer has the arctic package, and when I stopped for the day I found that some places in those lines were frozen. Luckily nothing burst, but I didn't have any water until the next morning after running the heater all night. Now then I travel in such very cold weather I stop for the day after 4 or 5 hours on the road.
It can be an issue when driving in cold weather for sure. We have a solar system on our trailer and we run a very small (tiny) electric heater in the underbelly (Have to look up the wattage) and if it is sunny, the solar feed enough power and if it is overcast, our truck has two 220 amp alternators that keep the batteries topped up.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill32 View Post
The water tanks contain 50 to 100 gallons so they won't freeze unless left unheated for several days. Its the water lines that are the concern.
I have a 35ft toy hauler with a 100 gal fresh water tank. When I went from Vegas to Kansas in Feb. I ran into a freezing temps in Denver. I only drove in daylight and heated the TT at night. By the time I got to Salina KS it had gotten to 17 degrees. My lines all froze and also the 100 gal of fresh water froze solid. It didn't thaw out enough to use for 2 weeks of 35 -40 degree and I got back (the southern route) into AZ.
nojustice1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel