Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

a couple questions on tanks

I know not to dump black tank until 2/3 full and grey well wash out line after dumping black tank, then is it safe to say when at full hook ups with sewer, to treat it as if you were going to a dump station and not leave either tank open?

Is calgon the best way to go on the tanks or is using the cascade an option? I thought all detergents laundry or dish had water softeners in them and is how they work in your washer, that is unless you have a water softner system hooked up at your home>?

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

I can't answer about Calgon, but yes when on full hook ups still treat it like you we going to a dump station and keep the valves closed till you hit at least 3/4 on the black tank.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #3

Depending on the length of our stay determines whether we leave the gray tank open or not. If we are only at a place for a day or two, I leave it closed so when I do dump, it will "clean" out the sewer hose after dumping the black. If we are somewhere for longer than that, I leave the gray open until one or two days before we leave. I don't think it makes a difference. It's just something on my checklist and I figure the more things I keep consistent, the less trouble I have.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I leave both valves closed until the black tank is at least 3/4 full then dump the black tank first followed by the grey. Leaving the grey open allows the sewer smell up into the tank and out the top vent. Too many people doing the same thing and the whole area can smell pretty bad especially on a rainy day. As for the Calgon (liquid) it helps coat the tank to make it slippery and the waste, paper or grease won't build up.
However if our black tank is barely 1/2 full or less and we're leaving I finish filling it with water before opening the valve to dump it. I then rinse the tank, add the Calgon to a couple gallons of water for the ride home. Same application for the grey tanks.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I leave both valves closed until the black tank is at least 3/4 full then dump the black tank first followed by the grey. Leaving the grey open allows the sewer smell up into the tank and out the top vent. Too many people doing the same thing and the whole area can smell pretty bad especially on a rainy day. As for the Calgon (liquid) it helps coat the tank to make it slippery and the waste, paper or grease won't build up.
However if our black tank is barely 1/2 full or less and we're leaving I finish filling it with water before opening the valve to dump it. I then rinse the tank, add the Calgon to a couple gallons of water for the ride home. Same application for the grey tanks.
Great advice and how I do it. I also add a cup of laundry (or big squirt of dishwasher) soap to the black tank along with the Calgon Liquid Softener.
To understand why Calgon Liquid is different you will need to search the threads for the chemical makeup. It is UNIQUE among the laundry soaps and additives.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #6

get $$ store fab.softener some thing keeps the tank slick and smells better also 1cup 2gallons water before trip gives it a good slosh getting there use as little paper as You can in the tank easyer to flush nice and clean If ever in need a bag of Ice in a mt tank will help a lot to remove build up as You drive a ways then dump lol
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #7

If only half or less full & use the tank back flush with dish water soap till almost full then dump. like above postings