Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

A Georgetown 340 SE in Europe

Hi,

It has been a few weeks since we last posted but we have taken delivery of our Georgetown, a 2007 340SE with triple slides, and what a learning curve it has been. It must be easier to pilot a Jumbo jet than hack one of these around the UK roads or possibly what you would term as a track but we are getting there, the suicide seat (front passenger) was not as quiet as thought it would be on the first trip, in fact it was quite noisy bordering on histerical .
Our first night was very comfortable on a site at Canterbury with 16 amp hook-up and everything worked just fine. We spent a week on this site re-stowing lockers, finding out what all the buttons and switches operate plus any little niggles we might have whilst in the vicinity of the dealer. We had a couple so arranged to take it back so that the dealer could rectify them to our satisfaction, which he did. Now it is a this point in time that I needed to re-fill the LPG tanks, domestic and engine, we found a local filling station and just managed to squeeze under the canopy only to find that when we were on the pump we completely blocked the only exit, no problem won't be long but I have never used a LPG fill before, old dog, new tricks. After what seemed to be an age I was becoming increasingly more frustrated when the attendant appeared muttering something about "you're a bit big for these parts" which left me thinking that my foot was too big for his parts but I bit my tongue and let him show me how the pump should work. Both tanks filled and we are on our way, suicide seat freshly cleaned and normal conversations resumed, the joys of RVing.

Three days later and we are on our way to Birmingham in the Midlands to have satelite dish fitted, this will provide for TV and Internet,for the first time we have to use the motorway and what a joy it was to drive on a proper road and relax whilst driving, it is a shame that the exhaust exits too far away from the drivers window as I cannot hear that glorious American V10 engine note.

Satelite dish fitted and we head back to Essex, small site booked for one month at Maldon. Now when I say small this site is only licensed for 5 units so you can imagine my suprise when we get on site we are the 3rd RV, American Eagle and Holiday Rambler already on site, the next day a 36foot 5th wheeler pitched up next to us, 80% of the site turned over to yank tanks, lifes getting better.

My only gripe with Forest River, apart from the wiring which I cover in a moment, is that the cooker hood is of the recirculating variety, about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, why did'nt they vent it externally as the europeans do. I am not about to punch a hole in the wall so I have retro fiited a powered roof vent which now works a treat and when I burn the toast it is vented through the roof. There was a + and - wires to that roof vent so I used them but when I cut the + one of the four lights stopped working, these four lights work from the same switch, conection made light is working now on to the - cut that and the satelite dish stopped, conection made dish is working. It would appear that some of our Bosnian eletricians have found their way to your shores.

We have booked our site in Spain and will be leaving these shores in about 4 weeks time until the end of March, it can't come quick enough as temperatures are dropping down close to freezing at night now and this coach is bl***y cold. I will try to post some pictures of this site, that will be a whole new learning curve so stand by for some more post's on that subject but that will have to wait for another day as it is raining cat's and dog's at the moment.

John and Karen
The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Anacortesians

John:

You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din (and I'm an ex-pat Brit!) I think I could handle the length OK, but something that wide and driving on the wrong side would be more than I could face.

It will be interesting to see your future posts.

BTW, DW and I are from the town of Leyland in Lancashire. It remained in Lancs after Harold Wilson and his idiot friends decided to change all the county boundaries.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #3

Hiya Frank & Eileen,

Good to hear from another Brit and yes you are right about Harold Wilson but there is always another Wuzzock to take his place, they do say that if voting changed anything then they would abolish it.

With regard to being brave I am more of a live coward, all the brave ones are dead or disabled. I drove Fire appliances for 15 years so the size is not a problem it is driving in the kerb that is causing most of the grief, roll on Spain when I can drive on the right side of the road for this vehicle in warmer weather.

John and Karen
The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote