Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

A little help with winterizing please

I have a new rockwood mini lite 2509 ss that I winterized yesterday for the first time. I have winterized some passed RV's. This one has real easy access to WH and pumps.

I ran the water pump till ran dry. I dumper grey tanks (2) and black tank never filled fresh water tanks but opened drain anyway. Opened low point drains (H&C valves)
Then drained water heater. switched water heater by pass on, removed water filter and put canister back on.

My model has a anti freeze inlet valve (hose connection) right next to the city water hook up which you can draw antifreeze from bottle into tank with the water pump. I had never seen this before and thought it was really cool.

I have a outdoor kitchen/sink, an outdoor shower up front, kitchen sink, bath sink, shower and toilet to drain. I pumped 2 gallons of anti freeze opening all faucets one at a time them the toilet last.

My problem is the cold taps flowed well but hot water tap spurted and hissed and never really flowed pink stuff.

I assume I did not get the hot water by pass shut off good. No pink showed up at the water heater though. Any advice appreciated.

Also since I only used the city water connection does the pump draw water to drain the fresh water line when used or is there possibly water remaining in the line?

I plan to redo everything tomorrow just to be sure and disconnect battery to store,
Texan79423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #2

If it were mine, I would double-check the water heater bypass to make sure the valves are set correctly. If you didn't get pink stuff out of the hot water taps, there is the potential for water to be left in the lines. Also, you should remove the screen at the city water inlet and depress the valve until antifreeze comes out, otherwise, water will be left in this short section of line.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #3

Thanks KL

I do not understand the depressing the city water valve and pink coming out. Please explain this step
Old 11-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

If you look at the city water hookup, you should see a wire screen. Remove the screen and you should see a little thing (don't know what to call it) that you can push in with your finger. Stand to the side and push and hold it in until anti-freeze comes out.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #5

Open drain on water heater. If you find anti freeze then bypass is not working.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan79423 View Post
I have a new rockwood mini lite 2509 ss that I winterized yesterday for the first time. I have winterized some passed RV's. This one has real easy access to WH and pumps.

I ran the water pump till ran dry. I dumper grey tanks (2) and black tank never filled fresh water tanks but opened drain anyway. Opened low point drains (H&C valves)
Then drained water heater. switched water heater by pass on, removed water filter and put canister back on.

My model has a anti freeze inlet valve (hose connection) right next to the city water hook up which you can draw antifreeze from bottle into tank with the water pump. I had never seen this before and thought it was really cool.

I have a outdoor kitchen/sink, an outdoor shower up front, kitchen sink, bath sink, shower and toilet to drain. I pumped 2 gallons of anti freeze opening all faucets one at a time them the toilet last.

My problem is the cold taps flowed well but hot water tap spurted and hissed and never really flowed pink stuff.

I assume I did not get the hot water by pass shut off good. No pink showed up at the water heater though. Any advice appreciated.

Also since I only used the city water connection does the pump draw water to drain the fresh water line when used or is there possibly water remaining in the line?

I plan to redo everything tomorrow just to be sure and disconnect battery to store,
You stated you opened the water heater bypass valve. Did you close the water heater inlet and outlet valves. If you didn't, you probably put antifreeze into the water heater.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

You didn't say anything about opening the low point drains. You need to be sure you open both the hot & cold water low point drains.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
You didn't say anything about opening the low point drains. You need to be sure you open both the hot & cold water low point drains.
Posr#1 he said he opened the LPDs! Youroo! !
Old 11-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

Couple of things:
*** Drain hot water tank again and see if it contains rv antifreeze. If so, either your bypass valves are leaking or they are not in the correct position to bypass.

*** Don't forget to close the drains or reinstall drain plugs on the low water drain points before you run antifreeze thru the lines. I've done this several times because I was in a hurry.

*** Make sure the outside shower head faucets are turned off. If they are turned on and the shower head switch is turned on, hot and cold lines can co-mingle.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan79423 View Post
I do not understand the depressing the city water valve and pink coming out. Please explain this step
You will need to remove the screen filter at the city water valve as stated above. MAKE SURE THE PUMP IS OFF BEFORE DEPRESSING THE PIN BEHIND THE SCREEN.
For a visual...
If you were to take the valve apart,,,,
The pin looks like a golf tee.
The skinny end is what you can see and will depress.
The shaft is spring loaded and presses the "O" ringed fat end closed to seal the valve.
If you have the pump on, it displaces the "O" ring causing the seal to leak.
And yes, it will spray you so be ready.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #11

For my hot water heater by pass there are 3 valves, one to close the line going into the HWH, one to close the line going out of the HWH and a by pass valve that is turned on to allow water to flow around the hot water heater. Could be that one of these is in wrong position or not totally open or closed. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
Site Team

If your WH valves look like this, You need to turn three valves to winterize and dewinterize, Pic shows the winter postition of the three valves.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #13

Thanks men

Thanks to all that replied. I missed getting the HW by pass valve fully opened.
I did get AF to flow through bot HW and CW fixture and pumped two more gallons just to be sure.

Found the check valve on City water as well and got that filled too. Think I am good to go. Thanks Again
Old 11-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #14

Texan,
If your rig has a black tank flush, and you've used it, there could be some water left in it. I blew the one on my MH out with air. Another thing Is the icemaker, if you have one. Don't want that to freeze! Hope this helps.
Happy camping when it gets here!

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #15

Where did you find your low point drains? I'm looking for mine (2509s).
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Where did you find your low point drains? I'm looking for mine (2509s).
There is usually a label on the side of the RV near the drains. There should be 2 short capped pipes hanging down.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #17

I "casually" looked but found nothing. Time to send the kids under.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter