Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

A vs. C - rattles and ride quality?

As much as we enjoy our Sunseeker we are fed up with the rattles and banging on rough roads. Part of the problem is that we do not have much added weight to help the ride quality; we are way under the max CCC. On a smooth well paved road it is fine and enjoyable. But some of the Pennsylvania and Jersey roads are really bad.

I can add air bags and better shocks but I would also like to have a sofa and a larger bathroom. My wife wants to go smaller so we can park in normal spots. Think Winnebago Travato.

I am looking for input from those who have experience with larger class C vehicles and class A vehicles. I am thinking that since a larger class C will be heavier it will offer a smoother ride. I don't want to go too big due to how and where I use my RV. I like the Forrester 2801 but have not taken it for a ride yet.

Can I expect a gas powered Class A to ride better and smoother?

I saw a Georgetown 30X3 that I liked but I don't know the difference between that and a standard Georgetown. I like that when the slides are in I can still get to the bathroom and the bedroom.

i drove a Dynamax REV last summer and we liked it until we took it on the highway. It was all over the road and felt like we were fighting a head wind. I was ready to buy until that part of the ride.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

I'm sure some more experienced people than I will jump in soon, but I can give you my $0.02.

The only "Class A" (or reasonably classified as such) I had experience with would be the 36' mid-2000 Winnebago I drove occasionally, which was my old department's mobile command post. Yes, it did have most of what a regular Class A has, except a bedroom; more cabinets for supplies and other tools of the trade. It had it's interior noises no matter how secure you tried to make things. The ride wasn't bad, but I found it really was sensitive to the crown of the roads and the steering was a bit sloppy. Passing 18-wheelers really affected the push.

The Class C I currently have does have it's interior noises, even with everything completely stowed away. DW has a tendency to keep adding things and I keep having to find ways to keep them from making noise. Our Sunseeker 3010DS is long - about 32' - and appears to be fairly heavy. Gidyupgo has the same model and his weighs in around 14,000+, from what he tells me. We both have made suspension and steering modifications which, for me, have made driving my Sunseeker a fair amount of fun. It doesn't wallow in the curves and corners anymore and while the steering is still like a truck, there's no constant sawing on the wheel.

Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I'm sure some more experienced people than I will jump in soon, but I can give you my $0.02.

The only "Class A" (or reasonably classified as such) I had experience with would be the 36' mid-2000 Winnebago I drove occasionally, which was my old department's mobile command post. Yes, it did have most of what a regular Class A has, except a bedroom; more cabinets for supplies and other tools of the trade. It had it's interior noises no matter how secure you tried to make things. The ride wasn't bad, but I found it really was sensitive to the crown of the roads and the steering was a bit sloppy. Passing 18-wheelers really affected the push.

The Class C I currently have does have it's interior noises, even with everything completely stowed away. DW has a tendency to keep adding things and I keep having to find ways to keep them from making noise. Our Sunseeker 3010DS is long - about 32' - and appears to be fairly heavy. Gidyupgo has the same model and his weighs in around 14,000+, from what he tells me. We both have made suspension and steering modifications which, for me, have made driving my Sunseeker a fair amount of fun. It doesn't wallow in the curves and corners anymore and while the steering is still like a truck, there's no constant sawing on the wheel.

Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, that was a good deal more than two cents.

My Sunseeker drives straight and true, no wallowing in curves and the rear tires follow the front ones. Sumo springs in the rear made an excellent vehicle better and even helped with the banging. I don't have any problems with the crown in the roads.

I did take a used Tiffin for a test drive and it was smooth with the only noise coming from their giant wood wheel chocks. I felt it was too long for our driveway so I bought the Sunseeker.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
...I like the Forrester 2801 but have not taken it for a ride yet....
When we picked up our Sunseeker GTS 2800 the ride was nice and quiet on the way to our storage lot. Even over bad pavement in a Interstate highway construction area it wasn't bad at all. The only "house" noise I consistently heard was the stove top cover. Installing the anti-rattle pads would have cured that one...

Now that it is "loaded" I hear all sorts of "stuff" that wasn't there on my first drive. But that is what I expect when I'm driving a loaded "house" down the road. We'll eventually find and get rid of most of the rattles but I don't even it expect it to be truly quiet again...at least until I unload it! I wouldn't expect a Class A to be any quieter as we'd be loading the same "stuff"....

If you go with a GTS 2800 \ 2801 you'll be pleasantly surprised how much room you have with the slides out. I thought our MBS 2400W was roomy...the GTS is huge! It is a better floor plan, at least for us, and even has a usable shower! I would not be willing to go down to a Class B as there just isn't enough room for an extended trip for us anyway.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
When we picked up our Sunseeker GTS 2800 the ride was nice and quiet on the way to our storage lot. Even over bad pavement in a Interstate highway construction area it wasn't bad at all. The only "house" noise I consistently heard was the stove top cover. Installing the anti-rattle pads would have cured that one...

Now that it is "loaded" I hear all sorts of "stuff" that wasn't there on my first drive. But that is what I expect when I'm driving a loaded "house" down the road. We'll eventually find and get rid of most of the rattles but I don't even it expect it to be truly quiet again...at least until I unload it! I wouldn't expect a Class A to be any quieter as we'd be loading the same "stuff"....

If you go with a GTS 2800 \ 2801 you'll be pleasantly surprised how much room you have with the slides out. I thought our MBS 2400W was roomy...the GTS is huge! It is a better floor plan, at least for us, and even has a usable shower! I would not be willing to go down to a Class B as there just isn't enough room for an extended trip for us anyway.
Our Sunseeker was rather quiet when we bought it. I think I will remove anything that is not soft as a test.

I like the looks of the GTS better but there are none in this part of the world. I can't tell from the brochure photo is there is less intrusion from the front cabinet area vs. the overhead bed. I like that the exterior height is a little lower which is a plus in my area.

Is the rear bed a split mattress?

Do you know the dimensions of the shower?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

I have a 28' Sunseeker with airbags running about max weight and it is noisy. We try to keep everything buttoned down but I think it is impossible not to have rattles and squeaks. It does ride pretty well with the bags set at 50 PSI. But I guess it is really all what you are used to. I really enjoy driving it and towing my CRV flat over driving a pickup and towing a TT. Everything is a compromise so we are on the never ending quest to find the right compromise.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Our Sunseeker was rather quiet when we bought it. I think I will remove anything that is not soft as a test.

I like the looks of the GTS better but there are none in this part of the world. I can't tell from the brochure photo is there is less intrusion from the front cabinet area vs. the overhead bed. I like that the exterior height is a little lower which is a plus in my area.

Is the rear bed a split mattress?

Do you know the dimensions of the shower?
Removing everything would be a drastic test case for us... It took us several hours to load the GTS with what came out of our MBS!

We didn't get to see a "live" GTS 2800 until ours arrived... There were none around us to look at so we ordered "blind" to a degree. Our online research was correct and we both really like our GTS. Plus there are enough similarities in the FR Class C line up to get a good idea of what was coming.

It feels like there is less intrusion, or overhang, with the GTS mini-nose cap versus the traditional bunk style. Since we swapped from a MBS to a Ford chassis its harder to say then it would have been in a Ford to Ford swap. I will say the drivers view is outstanding with the smaller nose cap! I can see much better than with the overhang of a regular cap. The downside is there is less storage in a min-cap than the traditional cap, with the optional entertainment center, then our MBS had available. Smaller cap = less storage but it is well worth it to us. We have a ton of other storage elsewhere now anyway.

The mattress is the same split style as we had in our MBS. We had already purchased a 1 1/2 inch foam topper and it went right on, along with the mattress cover, with no issues. The DW is much happier with this style of slide out bed as it is much easier for her to reach all the corners than the bed in the "W" floor plan was in the MBS. Another plus is the GTS has a true queen size bed rather than the "short" queen we had in the "W".

I will have to measure the shower for the dimensions. I do know the corner shower in the 2800 /2801 feels huge compared to the one in most Class C's....
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #8

We own a new Georgetown 30x3 and have no noise issues. Comparing class A and C, the seats in the A were much more comfortable and we liked the big windshield. Love the large shower too which has a glass sliding door, we saw a lot of RV's that have plastic doors. We also chose not to have the (over the cab bed), our rig sleeps 2 (lol), having the bed down blocks the cabinets and hits the top of the driver and passenger seats.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Class C or A

Just upgraded from 2014 Coachmen Freelander 21QB to 2016 Freelander 26RS with sofa & rear bedroom slide. The ride in the 26RS is so much better, smoother then the 21QB. The 26Rs has factory installed firestone air bags but I had the dealer install them on The 21QB , they helped but like I said the extra wheelbase & length is a great improvement. Have made two short trips with the new one so far so good no issues. Heading to Mt. Rushmore in July.

2016 Coachmen Freelander 26RS
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport toad
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Removing everything would be a drastic test case for us... It took us several hours to load the GTS with what came out of our MBS!

We didn't get to see a "live" GTS 2800 until ours arrived... There were none around us to look at so we ordered "blind" to a degree. Our online research was correct and we both really like our GTS. Plus there are enough similarities in the FR Class C line up to get a good idea of what was coming.

It feels like there is less intrusion, or overhang, with the GTS mini-nose cap versus the traditional bunk style. Since we swapped from a MBS to a Ford chassis its harder to say then it would have been in a Ford to Ford swap. I will say the drivers view is outstanding with the smaller nose cap! I can see much better than with the overhang of a regular cap. The downside is there is less storage in a min-cap than the traditional cap, with the optional entertainment center, then our MBS had available. Smaller cap = less storage but it is well worth it to us. We have a ton of other storage elsewhere now anyway.

The mattress is the same split style as we had in our MBS. We had already purchased a 1 1/2 inch foam topper and it went right on, along with the mattress cover, with no issues. The DW is much happier with this style of slide out bed as it is much easier for her to reach all the corners than the bed in the "W" floor plan was in the MBS. Another plus is the GTS has a true queen size bed rather than the "short" queen we had in the "W".

I will have to measure the shower for the dimensions. I do know the corner shower in the 2800 /2801 feels huge compared to the one in most Class C's....
Thanks for the info.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

We just traded in our Winnebago 35f class A for a Sunseeker GTS 2800. One reason was to get something smaller and another was to get something that handled better. The class A has a tendency to wander as there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. High winds and passing semi's only made it worse. The class C has much tighter steering and handles immensely better. The engine noise in the class A was more noticeable as you are basically sitting on the engine. Difficult to even hear the radio. Both had there share of miscellaneous interior noises but through a process of elimination we now have most of them worked out. Major sources of noise was the stove, microwave, entry door, dinette table, and squeaky slide outs cause by the Schwintek's motor gearing. In summary we are much happier with the Sunseeker and as and added bonus we were able to get all our stuff from the A into the C with no problems.
Murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I regret to report that I had to eliminate the Ford based Sunseeker/Forester from my quest. It was too difficult for me to go from the driver's seat to the rear due to the hump. Additionally, the driver's seat is very limited in fore/aft movement because it is blocked by the slideout. So I was too close to the steering wheel, couldn't raise it for comfort and not enough rearward movement to allow negotiation around the hump. Other than that, I liked it alot.

Next I will be trying a Georgetown 30X3 and an DynaMax REV 24RB.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy55378 View Post
We just traded in our Winnebago 35f class A for a Sunseeker GTS 2800. One reason was to get something smaller and another was to get something that handled better. The class A has a tendency to wander as there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. High winds and passing semi's only made it worse. The class C has much tighter steering and handles immensely better. The engine noise in the class A was more noticeable as you are basically sitting on the engine. Difficult to even hear the radio. Both had there share of miscellaneous interior noises but through a process of elimination we now have most of them worked out. Major sources of noise was the stove, microwave, entry door, dinette table, and squeaky slide outs cause by the Schwintek's motor gearing. In summary we are much happier with the Sunseeker and as and added bonus we were able to get all our stuff from the A into the C with no problems.
It seems that some of the noise is coming from the microwave but there is nothing visible to tighten. I had the turntable wrapped in a towel but eventually removed it. Made no difference.

I resolved my door issues as long as I remember to close the slider on the screen door.

I bought one of those wood stove top covers which works well until it comes loose.

I have been wondering about the slideout.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I regret to report that I had to eliminate the Ford based Sunseeker/Forester from my quest. It was too difficult for me to go from the driver's seat to the rear due to the hump. Additionally, the driver's seat is very limited in fore/aft movement because it is blocked by the slideout. So I was too close to the steering wheel, couldn't raise it for comfort and not enough rearward movement to allow negotiation around the hump. Other than that, I liked it alot.

Next I will be trying a Georgetown 30X3 and an DynaMax REV 24RB.
Where you in a 2800 / 2801? I've been in some Class C's that are "tight" on drivers seat space, due to the slide out, but our GTS isn't one of them. The dinette slide out wall is about a foot behind the drivers seat. With the optional power drivers seat in our GTS I have as about as much room in it as I do in my Ford Edge. I agree the E-450 doghouse is a PITA to get around, especially when compared to the MBS chassis.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Where you in a 2800 / 2801? I've been in some Class C's that are "tight" on drivers seat space, due to the slide out, but our GTS isn't one of them. The dinette slide out wall is about a foot behind the drivers seat. With the optional power drivers seat in our GTS I have as about as much room in it as I do in my Ford Edge. I agree the E-450 doghouse is a PITA to get around, especially when compared to the MBS chassis.
I was in a Sunseeker 2860 which is essentially the same as a Forester 2861. And in many respects appears to be similar to the 2801.

My chevy chassis Sunseeker has less doghouse intrusion into the cabin.

There are no GTS 2801 units in my area to check out.

Tags
quality