Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
AAA warns...don't use E15 gas

AAA warns of damage to car engines older then 2012. Using it will VOID your warranty.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I always knew that ethanol was for drinking and not for burning in your car!

I am from one of the largest ethanol producing states (Iowa) and I refuse to use the stuff do to what they are saying about it eating lines and gaskets!

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My small engine mechanic has a five gallon bucket full of carburetors ruined by that stuff. I treat every gallon of gas I use. So far so good.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
My small engine mechanic has a five gallon bucket full of carburetors ruined by that stuff. I treat every gallon of gas I use. So far so good.
Same around here!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

They are right, unless your engine was built for E15, that is a so called "Flex-fuel" engine, then avoid E15. The only difference is the material of lines and seals and some software changes to the driveline computer.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

My X became a dog with the E10. my mileage dropped down to 5mpg and I had no power to hold 55mph! this was about 4 years ago. on the same trip I filled up in WI with thier good gas (no ethanol at the time) and within 10 miles power and mileage came back! I started running 93 oct which helped somewhat around here in IL. so now with my tuner and running 89 oct. I am at 7 mpg which is still .5 mpg lower than what I was getting 4 years ago.
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Anacortesians

I see stickers for "E85" fuel on various vehicles. Does this idetify their compatibilty with gas that has 15% ethanol (i.e 100-15) or are they really good for fuel with up to 85% ethanol?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Now, some facts to remember, is that e-85 burns hotter than normal gasoline and it requires 20% more product to get the same amount of power. So although it may be a little cheaper per gallon, you are burning more fuel negating the $$$ savings.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Now, some facts to remember, is that e-85 burns hotter than normal gasoline and it requires 20% more product to get the same amount of power. So although it may be a little cheaper per gallon, you are burning more fuel negating the $$$ savings.
Depends on the price. When E85 is 20% less than the standard E10, it is a wash. And if your vehicle is made to run on it why not use it and support an american jobs rather than foreign oil?

Please don't start the debate about ethanol reducing the supply or raising the price of feed or food: Ethanol subsidies have expired, corn prices are the lowest they have been in 3 years, and they are still able to produce ethanol for a profit (there is demand).

And please don't start the debate about it taking more energy to produce than you receive. It simply isn't true. Modern farming practices have increased yields with less energy inputs every year. Fertilizer use has declined ~50% per bushel in the past 30-years. Ethanol plant efficiencies have also increased - most producing 120%+ of their design capacities. And ethanol plants also produce valuable co-products for feed and alternate energy sources.

I have a 2007 Jeep and a 2011 GMC that are both Flex Fuel and can run on anything up to E85 and I haven't had any issues using it. I use it when the price difference is at least 15% (which has been about 50% of the time, in Iowa).

I believe that 20% is a maximum drop in fuel efficiency when using E85. I've found it to be ~15% less in both of my vehicles. The drop is less when towing compared to towing with standard E10.

It is also a proven fact that ethanol burns cleaner than gas. Even when you factor in the loss of efficiency, ethanol reduces greenhouse gas emissions by over 30% compared to gasoline. Ethanol is non-toxic, water soluble and quickly biodegradable. Say that for oil.

All that said, I wouldn't use it in any engine that it wasn't made for. Especially engines that are not regularly used - like lawn and garden equipment because it can gum up carburetors when it sits for longer periods of time. If used regularly E10 and maybe even E15 are fine.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It takes about 30 times more water to produce Ethanol as well, and more energy to manufacture the stuff than you save. Doesen't work for me.

Tags
gas