Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
AAA warns...don't use E15 gas

AAA warns of damage to car engines older then 2012. Using it will VOID your warranty.

Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I always knew that ethanol was for drinking and not for burning in your car!

I am from one of the largest ethanol producing states (Iowa) and I refuse to use the stuff do to what they are saying about it eating lines and gaskets!

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My small engine mechanic has a five gallon bucket full of carburetors ruined by that stuff. I treat every gallon of gas I use. So far so good.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
My small engine mechanic has a five gallon bucket full of carburetors ruined by that stuff. I treat every gallon of gas I use. So far so good.
Same around here!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

They are right, unless your engine was built for E15, that is a so called "Flex-fuel" engine, then avoid E15. The only difference is the material of lines and seals and some software changes to the driveline computer.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

My X became a dog with the E10. my mileage dropped down to 5mpg and I had no power to hold 55mph! this was about 4 years ago. on the same trip I filled up in WI with thier good gas (no ethanol at the time) and within 10 miles power and mileage came back! I started running 93 oct which helped somewhat around here in IL. so now with my tuner and running 89 oct. I am at 7 mpg which is still .5 mpg lower than what I was getting 4 years ago.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Anacortesians

I see stickers for "E85" fuel on various vehicles. Does this idetify their compatibilty with gas that has 15% ethanol (i.e 100-15) or are they really good for fuel with up to 85% ethanol?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Now, some facts to remember, is that e-85 burns hotter than normal gasoline and it requires 20% more product to get the same amount of power. So although it may be a little cheaper per gallon, you are burning more fuel negating the $$$ savings.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Now, some facts to remember, is that e-85 burns hotter than normal gasoline and it requires 20% more product to get the same amount of power. So although it may be a little cheaper per gallon, you are burning more fuel negating the $$$ savings.
Depends on the price. When E85 is 20% less than the standard E10, it is a wash. And if your vehicle is made to run on it why not use it and support an american jobs rather than foreign oil?

Please don't start the debate about ethanol reducing the supply or raising the price of feed or food: Ethanol subsidies have expired, corn prices are the lowest they have been in 3 years, and they are still able to produce ethanol for a profit (there is demand).

And please don't start the debate about it taking more energy to produce than you receive. It simply isn't true. Modern farming practices have increased yields with less energy inputs every year. Fertilizer use has declined ~50% per bushel in the past 30-years. Ethanol plant efficiencies have also increased - most producing 120%+ of their design capacities. And ethanol plants also produce valuable co-products for feed and alternate energy sources.

I have a 2007 Jeep and a 2011 GMC that are both Flex Fuel and can run on anything up to E85 and I haven't had any issues using it. I use it when the price difference is at least 15% (which has been about 50% of the time, in Iowa).

I believe that 20% is a maximum drop in fuel efficiency when using E85. I've found it to be ~15% less in both of my vehicles. The drop is less when towing compared to towing with standard E10.

It is also a proven fact that ethanol burns cleaner than gas. Even when you factor in the loss of efficiency, ethanol reduces greenhouse gas emissions by over 30% compared to gasoline. Ethanol is non-toxic, water soluble and quickly biodegradable. Say that for oil.

All that said, I wouldn't use it in any engine that it wasn't made for. Especially engines that are not regularly used - like lawn and garden equipment because it can gum up carburetors when it sits for longer periods of time. If used regularly E10 and maybe even E15 are fine.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It takes about 30 times more water to produce Ethanol as well, and more energy to manufacture the stuff than you save. Doesen't work for me.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
Please don't start the debate about ethanol reducing the supply or raising the price of feed or food: Ethanol subsidies have expired, corn prices are the lowest they have been in 3 years, and they are still able to produce ethanol for a profit (there is demand).
The only reason there is demand is because there is NO CHOICE, if drivers knowing about ethanol had a choice most would not use it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

And please don't start the debate about it taking more energy to produce than you receive. It simply isn't true. Modern farming practices have increased yields with less energy inputs every year.

you dont know any farmers do you? there side of the story is 180 from yours.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Interesting

If only our energy dollars made sense: Jerry Shenk | PennLive.com
Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Interesting part 2

If only our energy dollars made sense: Jerry Shenk | PennLive.com
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
It takes about 30 times more water to produce Ethanol as well, and more energy to manufacture the stuff than you save. Doesen't work for me.
that is bogus. even if you count the rain that falls from the sky to grow the corn, I believe you have it backwards.

The standard design was 3 gallons of water to produce one gallon of ethanol. But improvements in technology has gotten some producers down to 2.5 gallons. And other feed and energy co-products are produced along with the ethanol.

By comparison oil refineries are located on the coasts largely due to the amount of water required that cannot be obtained inland. That is why they don't build refineries in Canada, Wyoming, Montana, or N Dakota - where a very large portion of our oil comes from. There isn't enough water for them. But there are plenty of ethanol plants.

It takes 1,851 gallons of water to refine a barrel of crude oil. One barrel of crude oil produces 19 gallons of gasoline and 10 gallons of diesel fuel, in this respect it takes 97 gallons of water to produce a gallon of gasoline. If you combine gasoline and diesel, it takes 63 gallons of water to produce a gallon of "fuel." A total of 42 gallons of petroleum products are produced from a barrel of crude oil, in this respect it takes 44 gallons of water to produce each gallon of petroleum.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
The only reason there is demand is because there is NO CHOICE, if drivers knowing about ethanol had a choice most would not use it.
Not true. You can buy gas with 0% ethanol at every gas station I've ever been to. It costs more and people actually CHOOSE to buy the E10 that costs less.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
And please don't start the debate about it taking more energy to produce than you receive. It simply isn't true. Modern farming practices have increased yields with less energy inputs every year.

you dont know any farmers do you? there side of the story is 180 from yours.
You’re kidding, right? I'm in Iowa.... My family farms. 50% of the people I know farm. Yields are up every year. GPS technology is used to map soil conditions and past yields through the field which can be applied to provide accurate planting and efficient fertilizer application with less waste. New equipment is more fuel efficient and has lower impacts to the ground. Modern conservation practices improve soil and water quality.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:
That article is about cellulosic ethanol... that hasn't evolved as was initially predicted. Since science hasn't been able to make this viable or "cost effective" yet, it is likely that the law requiring blenders to use it will be changed.

I love how they claim the problem is how much trucking would be required to fuel 100% of our daily gasoline need, as if gasoline just magically appears from the other side of the world. Isn't gasoline trucked to gas stations now? Not being able to put ethanol in pipelines was a problem that is gradually disappearing with local blending facilities being built or added to existing distribution networks.

Although there is a mandate for the gasoline industry to use ethanol, the price of oil and the unlikely outlook that oil prices will decrease in the future, it is cost effective for it to remain. And future advances in technology and science will continue advance it's viability, no matter what it is made from.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cellulosic Fiber from sugar cain is very sucessfull in South America. I understand it will be here in th USA if not now in the very near future. Some articles I have read indicates sugar cane will eventually replace corn in ethanol. ????
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
Not true. You can buy gas with 0% ethanol at every gas station I've ever been to. It costs more and people actually CHOOSE to buy the E10 that costs less.
Not true in NC or on the way from Concord, NC to Orlando, FL. We've stopped at numerous gas stations from NC to IN, IL, IA, MO, AR, TN and never saw non-ethanol gas available anywhere altho they say it is available in IA. All were 10%.

Tags
gas