Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

About to make a 19 hour haul...

from Louisiana to Key West and I hate looking for a good fuel station or restroom stop. I have a gravity feed diesel tank in the bed of my TV so I can run with 80 gallons of fuel. This gets me from my house to the Florida turnpike easily without needing fuel. Once on the turnpike, the fuel stations are every 40 miles and easy in easy out for hauling. As far as restroom between home and the turnpike I was thinking about filling my fresh water tank and just pulling over on entrance ramp shoulder, weigh stations, or anyplace easy without having to get into a small stores parking lot. I have never done this before, I read where my water pump sill cut on and off as needed when the switch is on. Instructions say open all faucets and turn pump on, then start turning them off one at a time when water is coming out. When last one is closed pump should cut off. My question is, should I leave the pump on for the whole trip? Or should I do this "open all faucets" routine every time we pull over and need to flush? May just be easier to bring a 5 gallon jug of water. Any insight would be appreciated.
Travis

Hobie Kayaks
2008 F-250 Spartan Tuner
2012 Flagstaff
jtjohnston1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

Turn water pump on as you enter the RV. Do your thing then turn off water pump as you leave. It is no big deal if you forget and leave the pump on as long as all faucets are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #3

once the system is primed (turning on and opening the faucets) you do not need to do that again unless you drain the system. I have a 2 gal pressure tank so I can use the bathroom on the road a few times without having to turn the pump on.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Turn water pump on as you enter the RV. Do your thing then turn off water pump as you leave. It is no big deal if you forget and leave the pump on as long as all faucets are off...
True unless you should develop a leak. Best to turn the pump off and then turn a faucet on to relieve the pressure and then turn it back off. No need to turn all faucets on, just one to relieve system pressure. When you go back in the trailer, just turn the pump back on.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #5

I only bleed the system once a year and often our pump is left on, To date have not had an issue with any of the 5 RV's I have owned.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

thanks

Hobie Kayaks
2008 F-250 Spartan Tuner
2012 Flagstaff
jtjohnston1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I only bleed the system once a year and often our pump is left on, To date have not had an issue with any of the 5 RV's I have owned.
But you never know when a fitting will break/come loose or a line ruptures or the toilet valve messes up and doesn't shut off completely. Best to shut the pump off and relieve the pressure.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
But you never know when a fitting will break/come loose or a line ruptures or the toilet valve messes up and doesn't shut off completely. Best to shut the pump off and relieve the pressure.
I agree, I turn it off but somehow it gets turned back on.... The dog is too short so I have to guess DW
Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I agree, I turn it off but somehow it gets turned back on.... The dog is too short so I have to guess DW
The only solution to your problem is to hold the door open for her to leave first (like a gentleman) and then shut the pump off and flush the toilet again to relieve the pressure.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The only solution to your problem is to hold the door open for her to leave first (like a gentleman) and then shut the pump off and flush the toilet again to relieve the pressure.
What he said..

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote