Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #21

If it were me I'd just keep the temp tag on and carry the purchase paperwork, and if stopped, I'd be very nice to the police officer whilst explaining my predicament.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #22
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
How 'bout trip permit?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #23

Went to Revenue Office (DMV). Took a number, waited forever.

Told lady my issue. She said "Nothing I can do without the title. No plates till I get the title". She said she can NOT issue any kind of temporary permit, plates, nothing, past 30 days from date of sale (May 9).

I can only hope that BOA guy I talked to was/is a Ditz, and when he said "We'll send it out on the 11th" that he truly meant he was faxing it, and he truly meant actual June 11. If so, maybe I can get license plate Monday, but all ducks have to line in a straight row......

Called Dealer and they have no suggestions. Waiting to talk to the Finance Lady who MIGHT have a connection at BOA, who knows. Left 2 messages.

Geez.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #24

If it was bought at a dealer, they can walk right in and get a title at the DMV. Unless they do not have the certificate of origin. Their bank could be holding the c of o. The unit has to be paid for before the dealer can get possession of the certificate. If he happens to be low on cash, he could be waiting for your banks check to clear at his bank.
If it was bought privately the owners bank needs to clear the title when it's paid off to have a clear title. Can't think of ANY reason it would take more than two weeks.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
If it was bought at a dealer, they can walk right in and get a title at the DMV. Unless they do not have the certificate of origin. Their bank could be holding the c of o. The unit has to be paid for before the dealer can get possession of the certificate. If he happens to be low on cash, he could be waiting for your banks check to clear at his bank.
If it was bought privately the owners bank needs to clear the title when it's paid off to have a clear title. Can't think of ANY reason it would take more than two weeks.
Here PennDOT gives 60 days... And they take all of those 60 days to get a new registration.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #26

I use to switch plates so often I`d get confused with one went to each trailer.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #27

My two cents is to take every document/receipt you have and go on the temp tags.

Here in CT the DMV's new system is so screwed up that legally registered vehicles are being pulled over because the systems flagged them. The local news alerted everyone to watch their tax bills because information could be incorrect.

DMV and Towns Urge Residents to Check Car Tax Bills for Errors | NBC Connecticut
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #28

Ohio doesn't use certificate's of origin anymore, apparently.

BOA Supervisor just called and said she'd try hard tomorrow to get it to Arkansas by Friday. We'll see. At least they are trying.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Ohio doesn't use certificate's of origin anymore, apparently.

BOA Supervisor just called and said she'd try hard tomorrow to get it to Arkansas by Friday. We'll see. At least they are trying.

That's it go all the way to the top dog if needed.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #30

If it was me, I would run the temp tags along with all & any paperwork.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it. I see vehicles running around all the time with expired tags, especially here in Little Rock. I also see vehicles with NO TAGS & even expired TEMP TAGS.

Just
Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD Little Rock, Arkansas
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #31

I had a 30 day tag from SC and it does take 2 weeks to get the title from the state to the dealer and to me. Have done it in the past. Then straight to DMV to pay the tax and get a plate. This time ~~ bought the 5er and left for FL for 3 months. Never gave it a thought and took care of it when I got home.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Keep your bill of sale, all paperwork showing it is yours, OH reg forms, insurance... And STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE to avoid the radar!
That's not going to help.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Went to Revenue Office (DMV). Took a number, waited forever.

Told lady my issue. She said "Nothing I can do without the title. No plates till I get the title". She said she can NOT issue any kind of temporary permit, plates, nothing, past 30 days from date of sale (May 9).

I can only hope that BOA guy I talked to was/is a Ditz, and when he said "We'll send it out on the 11th" that he truly meant he was faxing it, and he truly meant actual June 11. If so, maybe I can get license plate Monday, but all ducks have to line in a straight row......

Called Dealer and they have no suggestions. Waiting to talk to the Finance Lady who MIGHT have a connection at BOA, who knows. Left 2 messages.

Geez.
Cal back. Tell them you want to speak to a supervisor. Tell them that you are going to file a complaint with the state Attorney General. If you get no satisfaction, I simply say "I want to talk to somebody higher in the food chain" (yes, these are the words I use) and keep going higher.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #34

Get another 30 day temporary.
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #35

I ran my temp tag for 3 months! I was on the road and could not get to Kentucky to properly license it. Cops don't give RV's a second look.
Do not put on a tag from another trailer, that is considered fraudulent.
Run the temp and go enjoy your trip if BOA does not get papers to you in time.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #36

Ok here in Ohio you get a 45 day temp tag and it will take 44 days till you get the title if you paid for it or if you went thru a bank a bank a copy still the same. The dealer is the when who will mail you the paper work, call the selling dealer and ask them where its at or a new temp tag. Every car truck or camper I bought take you to the very end, My wife just bought a car in April and she got her paper work the 44th day
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Ok here in Ohio you get a 45 day temp tag and it will take 44 days till you get the title if you paid for it or if you went thru a bank a bank a copy still the same. The dealer is the when who will mail you the paper work, call the selling dealer and ask them where its at or a new temp tag. Every car truck or camper I bought take you to the very end, My wife just bought a car in April and she got her paper work the 44th day
X 2 Ohio has gotten Slower over the Years! Youroo!!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #38

Quote:
This is the first vehicle of any kind that I've had this kind of issue getting registered with DMV and getting a license plate.

Bought it in Ohio, need to register and pay sales tax in Arkansas. Fine.

Financed with Bank of America (ugh, but 3% financing......). Got instructions, and a sheet saying as much, to call BOA "in about 2 weeks" and request them to fax the title to the Arkansas Revenue Office. However, the sheet instructed me to have DMV do the requesting. So I did, and they did.

That was 10 days ago. I bought this camper May 09. That's almost a month.

I called BOA today and they said they MIGHT be mailing this out to Revenue on June 11. I asked why so long, they said "because" (Basically).

OK, I'm leaving Tuesday morning for 2 weeks of camping. I won't be back till June 28. Here are my options:

A) Keep the temp tag on the camper. However it expires June 24!!!

B) Take the existing (permanent, not dated, as all trailer tags here are) license plate off of my ATV trailer (looks identical to RV tag) and put it on. No, it doesn't match trailers obviously, but I didn't steal it and Cops would see it matched MY name/address.

Not sure what other option.

Never bought a vehicle I couldn't license in about 2 weeks max.

Ideas???
Bought mine in Ohio also. 2 weeks later left for a 5 week trip out west. Temporary tags expired, so what. My permanent tags were in the mail when I arrived home. Don't worry about it. Just have your bill of sale and insurance papers with you.
FYI in Illinois a 2 month wait is NORMAL
Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #39

I had the same issue. I purchased my trailer in Virginia and live in Maryland. It took just shy of 3 months to get the tags. I called the dealer and they just kept mailing me temp tags with newer dates on them so I could use the trailer. When I got the new tags and registration card, I called MVA. It turns out that the dealer put off sending in the ppw to Maryland MVA for the title/tag work.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #40

Please note that if the rig is not registered properly it might void your insurance in case of an accident. Then you can lose the farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel